Hampton to honor Coach Jerry White

deputydog

Hampton High School will be honoring former coach Jerry White Tuesday, Dec. 17 before their game with Cloudland. Since coach White coached at both schools it seemed to be the best time to do it. All former players and assistant coaches are urged to attend. So if you are a former player or know anyone who played for coach White please help spread the word so that a nice turnout will be at the game.

It's great to see Coach White having a night of his own. He deserves to be recognized for all his years of hard work at Hampton. He stayed with the program for many years and he probably could have taken other jobs. This is rare in today's coaches. Most young coaches are looking to move on to bigger and better situations. Coach White was loyal to the school that he played at and brought a state championship to in 1960. He was there through the good times and the bad. Congratulations Coach White.

Coach Jerry White was genuinely touched by the brief but poinant ceremony last night before the 'Dogs played the 'Landers. For a man who has given so much to so many this brief ceremony finally gave him his moment in the sun. He had kind words for all of his former assistants and players as well as the fans who had supported his teams through the years. Having coached at both Cloudland and Hampton this was the perfect time for this. Thanks go out to Dave Ridenour from Athletic House for him making the trip up from Rutledge and having the Jersey made special for Coach White. And by the way, the fans were treated to a great game as both teams played hard until the final buzzer. All in all a great night for Coach White and those who greatly appreciate all that he has done.