Division 2 basketball

dpg123

But in D2's defense.... They are better than A this year, I think most would assume that. McCallie v. Temple is a good example of that. They are probably better than many AA teams also, MBA - who is only 2-7 this year, took a top 10 Elizabeththon squad, with a 6-7 center that was almost 5 inches taller than our tallest player, to the wire at home. But when you take ANY D2 team against a top 5 caliber team from AA or AAA, like White Station or East, even Ridgeway, it probably wouldn't be competition. I hope it would be, because I think D2 ball has been underrated since it's beginning, but those inner-city Memphis and Nashville team are quality competition, and Memphis is one of the top basketball hoopbeads in the country.

Just a thought from a fan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's matter if they could beat the 1A schools.

McCallie would not be classified into 1A would they? They might be AA, and then they would get smoked by Ridgeway, Booker T. Washington, and the Memphis AA powers. They would also have trouble with teams like Austin East, David Lipscomb, etc. (Those are really good teams, everyone struggles against them).

True, MBA or Father Ryan would be very good in 1A...but they wouldn't be classified in 1A so that is the same as saying...they would do well if they were in 2A in football something MBA wouldn't be classified to (especially since they are all boys!).

We aren't comparing D2 privates to 1A...we are comparing them to schools they would have been classified to. If Ryan is classified as a AA school then look at that and then decide. MBA is horrible right now, Brentwood Academy isn't much to shout about either. MUS has been down for a while and CBHS is not very good either. The best schools are the D2-middle of the road schools (besides Ryan)...ECS, Harding, and then possibly Lausanne or Bishop Byrne. The Super 7 has seen better days in basketball...and thats the honest truth.

Yes, MBA, Ryan, and BA would probably find themselves in AAA basketball, because they were before the split. Let's say they were back with the publics. MBA and Ryan would be in the district with Hillsboro and them, and Hillsboro would probably present the only challenge to them, cause Brentwood doesn't seem great (although I haven't seen them), and BGA beat Franklin

Move on to the region, then you run into your Startford, Maplewood, Whites Creek types. I don't doubt that Father Ryan would probably make it to the sub-state or at least region. I think MBA could make region with Ryan, Boro, and Brentwood from the district. So there is no doubt these two teams could compete.

If you bring back the MBA teams of two years ago. I think there challenge was Whites Creek and Maplewood, because Stratford and Antioch didn't have Demarco or Mario. Team play would have won during the region tourney. Not to mention that if Ryan was in the region, the region probably would have been held at Ryan, which makes a difference.

In Memphis, I don't know how MUS and CBHS would fare with those big guys in M-Town, but they would not be overlooked.

MBA travels to Memphis to face Germantown next week, along with Lasannue (sorry if I spelled it wrong). Hope they do well, along with wishing Ryan good luck in their Christmas tourney. USN, who shouldn't be overlooked with their revamped lineup, hopefully does well at the Overton tourney.

Just a thought from a fan

MBA is down right horrible right now...maybe they are missing some football players or something, but they did not fare well against a hard luck MUS team.

I can name every team in the city that would probably beat CBHS and MUS if you would like, there are probably around 15 or so if not more.

Ryan could hang with the big boys...I'll admit that, but on the whole, the Super 7 more resembles a Motel 8 when playing the publics...

When I hung around the Vanderbilt campus while attending FRHS (when it was just across West End from Vandy), we were designated as AAA (although most agreed that we were much smaller)....we were well known to be very competitive against the best the state had to offer......look at MBA's results vs. say...a Dobbyns-Bennett or a Jacksonville Bolles (results in football). What I'm saying Ego is that when you are in D2 and you are one of the programs with great assets to your side like the afformentioned...you should consider yourself against the biggest and best in the state....but really what I am most trying to convey is that when I went to FRHS we were indeed AAA on a A-AAA system....so of corse I'm gonna compare D2 vs. elite's of D1...I have a post in this thread referring to Ryan vs. East high of Nashville back in the early 80's. East was AAA and loaded with talent...Ryan took them out in a great game by using it's talent combined with great dicipline (sounds like D2 ball to me).

FRHS is very good every year. It is not about them though.

It is about the other Super 7's and then all the D2-AA and D2-A schools. Some of the Super 7's like Ryan are excellent year in and year out...others are struggling although they have a great tradition behind them (MUS). I am a fan of MUS basketball, I think their coach is probably one of the best in the state...but over the last 3 years I would say, they have kinda fallen off. Maybe they will be back? I really don't know? I'm not sure though because some of their 9th graders had a falling out a few months ago with the coach. In fact, some of those same kids are attending McCallie as we speak! I'm through with this D2 versus public school debate, Everyone agrees that D2 is a little weaker (heck we don't have as many teams, we should be weaker!) If anyone sees any D2 games, please post them on here so we can continue to learn who to watch out for, who's hot and who's not.