History of Nashville Football - Question

BDURHAM

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Cole & Scout.....McG formed by Donelson, Two Rivers, Cameron, and CENTRAL. Good try! :D

Coachtut, good guesses Varallo starred at East and later coached there and other burned school was Hillsboro in the 50s....you ain't bad so 1 good mark

I will leave questions 5 & 7 for 1 more day ;):D

[Edited by coach763 on 12-28-02 7:32A]

Guys, I am having a great time reading these posts. It brings back so many memories. My grandparents went to Central, My mother went to St. Cecilia, my father went to East, and all of us kids went to Father Ryan and St Cecilia.

Busing truly did bring an end to the community school concept in Nashville.

Keep the thread going, This is a great history lesson!

One might hope that people like shadow and coach763 would write a book or publish something about the History of Nashville Football, or overall athletics for that matter. You know guys, you could supplement your social security income or put a down payment on the "retirement home" or something. You could include other people with information such as Clint Parnell, Mama Johnson, or any of the old heads who would love to pass the info on to us young pups who still care.

Yodude............

I am assuming that your comments directed towards coaches Johnson and Parnell were really of a positive nature, therefore.........here is a "tip" for future reference. Coach Gerald Johnson is perhaps the very best pure coach of football, basketball, and baseball (softball) that has ever graced this state. He is a mentor to many coaches and none of them would dare call him "Mama" in his presence or away from him. That "endearing" term was from his college days, and guys he played with sometimes referred to him with that nickname......youngpups ain't allowed, if you wish to draw from that fount of knowledge. It is disrespectful to him. This is just a suggestion!! ;)

Any thing about the old NIL bring back great memories to some, but only a very few really care anymore.

Great idea, the true stories 763 and myself would write would be a great resource on"what to do", and "WHAT NOT TO DO" assuming we could keep a thought more than 60 seconds.LILAL---more good old dudes, GARLAND RUSSELL-still coaching, The late Tommy Owen,& Warren Dunn, Cliff [the leader] Goodman are just a few more good ones. ;)

Coach 763, at no time in my post did I ever mean any disrespect for Coach Johnson at all. They were very much positive comments! I started to write "Coach Gerald Johnson" but wasn't quite sure if most anyone else would know who I was referring about. I have the utmost respect for him, as well as the other "elder statesmen" that have been mentioned. Also, I was very sincere about someone writing about the history of football in Nashville. The sooner the better, guys like you and shadow are not getting any younger either! ;)