Mutible Sport Atheletes

strikethree

Strikethree i agree with you, i think the problem is that we as coaches have taken each game to such a level, that a girl has to almost pratice year round at one sport just to compete. Some girls can do both, but they have no life other than sports, I think when they spend so much time at 2 or more sports they are most likley to get burn out. I belive that a girl should be able to play as many sports as she wants to and quit worring so much about getting a scholarship. Worring about getting a scholarship takes a lot of fun out of it for most players, This is the time in their life when they sould be having the time of their life. I think we just need to let them enjoy their teen age years and try not to make adults out of them so quick.Life is hard enough with out this kind of pressure.

Just my thought , for what it is worth.

I had my daughter not go out for basketball her freshman year so she could work on softball only. I found that was a mistake after two years. She said that she did not feel like she was in shape for the season because of not playing in a winter sport and not being active for so long. Now she is a Junior and playing basketball, not to be good at, but to help her be in better shape when softball starts. If she gets to play in a game that is a plus for us and her but if not then when softball begins, she will be in better shape. I believe that coaches that do not let their players play in another sport, could in some cases be hurting themsleves. Each sport could help with another sport. ;)

[Edited by Sidetrain on 12-30-02 7:45A]

What were you thinking sidetrain??? Sounds like you want your kid to do what you want her to do...The best athletes are those kids that loves competition..Those are the ones that will win and perform in the big games.. I encourage my little girl to play them all, regardless of how good she is.

We play basketball, softball, bowling, ping-pong, kickball, soccer, golf and whatever else she can think up. The best athletes are those rare 3 or 4 sports athletes...I really respect those kids....But it sounds like you are letting your girl make those choses now. Good... :(

You are right I was in the wrong and I hope that I have not hurt my oldest daughter. My youngest play everythging she can put her hands too. That is part of being a parent you live and learn. I have amde mistakes with my oldest but she has always over come my short comings. She help her sister alot.

Thank you :):)