unaka and uh

cacadeltoro

Here is my opinion on the games between UH and Unaka whenever they play...

University High is more talented, but not by that much. Bradley is a good player, he is not the phenom everyone is making him out to be. He has size and hops, but he is weaker than alot of other post players and he can't move real well with his back to the basket. In my opinion this year's Univeristy High team is not as talented as the teams of 2 or 3 years ago, when they had Orville Buford and a host of other Science Hill prodigy's, that team was amazingly quick and they could get thru a press with ease- this year's UH team doesn't have the same luxury.

Unaka will probably take the series between UH and Unaka 2 out of 3. Like I said the talent is too close to call, but Unaka has a major edge in the coaching department, Ensor is 10 times the coach that Gordon is- and when the talent pool is as close as it is in the conference, good coaching is a major factor.

As far as pound for pound best player, Dugger as a junior was a lot better than Bradley is as a junior, don't get me wrong Bradley is good, but I have never seen him take over a game and take all of the fight out of the other team before, maybe he has, but Dugger would do this on a nightly basis, while Unaka had some other good complimentary athletes, anyone could see that Unaka was pushed by Dugger's talent and intesity. I may be selling Bradley short because I have only seen him play around 6 times, and I saw Dugger play about 30 games, but who knows.

Anyway you slice it though the whole conference is down from last year...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TnRef , I am Not saying that Chambers is not a good player!!He IS a good player, But like YOU said, shot selection was not too good. And I think he still scored about 25 points,

but to get those points , and because of shot selection, the percentage was about 25-30 % . Thats the part that makes it look bad. It suprises me that the Unaka coachs let this continue. I have seen this in 3 or 4 games. Thats where the term "TEAM" comes in , why not feed the ball of to one of the other 4 boys, If the other team is making him take the low percentage shots, then there should be at least

2 boys open for the higher percentage shot... Think about that. and then let me know what you think.

You wanna talk about team first off what do you even know

about them tell me that.

If you was at the same tournament everyone else was the other night then you would have saw about 8 good assists in

a row from Rusty to there big post player inside.And on your

shot selection theory I would believe if the coaches didn't

like his shots they would say something about it would't you

think.

He is one of the best talented scorers I have seen play this year and sees the court real well.He knows how to take the ball to the basket and can find ways to score anywhere on the court.

But diggs anyone whos putting up from 22 to 23 points a game dont get on here and start telling him when to shoot and not to shoot im pretty sure he can make that decision on

his own.

But diggs since your a unaka fan I guess you will be attending the game tomorrow night against hampton. I sure

cant wait to see this one It should be a very intense game.

Yeah, the Unaka and Hampton game should be a very intense and up-tempo game. The 2 teams have been workin hard and from the looks of it Unaka is startin to show some heart and determination which is what the team needs. I don't want to get on here and start any controversy but all I'm saying is that when Unaka plays with heart and gives it everything they got, they are a hard team to be reakoned with. That's all I'm saying. Everybody else can fight and bicker but we will see when the 2 opponents meet each other on the court. Unaka will win and everybody will be shocked by the score. Chambers and Jones both need to have their heads screwed on and Collins, Cline, Arnold, McInturff, and Holtsclaw all need to pitch in and do all the necessary things to win a basketball game. Press will be wild and I look forward to seeing it.

[Edited by NothinButNylon on 1-5-03 11:49P]

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone always counts Unaka out but they seem to rise to the occasion when the big games roll around. To go into University High's gym with some 2000 people there, be down by 13 with 6:00 remaining and find a way to win says alot for this team. The schedule played a factor in this game. When you play Temple, Cosby, AAA teams Bearden, Greeneville, Tennessee High, teams from the Bahamas, Knox Catholic and others just to name a few you get better. Simply you can only get better by playing better opponents. Unaka at the end of the game the other night had two juniors and 3 sophomores on the floor. They return everyone next season except for one senior. This team is improving every game and could surprise some people this year. It was a big win but with Cloudland twice and UH at home no one needs to relax. Kudos to the coaches, staff and players for the big win. Focus on Friday. Cloudland is a very tough place to play and they will be ready.

To Cacadeltoro: How did that Buc taste last evening.

Guest teammom2003

I agree coachtdog unaka is going to supprize a lot of folks this year and next year WOW it is gonna be fun to watch chambers and company. The more he plays as a team the better rusty looks. Just look what happened at UH Rusty is a great player. He is only gonna get better next year as long as they play team ball with All of the great players at unaka they are All agreat bunch of kids no the court and off. With the GREAT COACHES they have they are here to stay

Did anyone mention Rusty in tha last post. Bball40 you have a very serious problem. It's called jealous. Get over it. The win was a complete team effort. Everyone that played the other night contributed but you seem to feel like that you might not be getting the pat on the back you feel you deserve. Heaven forbid, a good mark for a job well done.

By the way, that was not my post.

[Edited by coachtdog on 1-23-03 2:51P]

In your post if you look it says tdog. No I don't know who the prior post is nor do I care nor do I have a chip on my shoulder. I cheer for all the kids and I am usually the first one to tell them good job after the game win or lose. Every team has go to guys but it takes an entire team to win. Sure Chambers, Cline and McInturff got the ink the other night but let me tell you, players like Cody Collins who played defense like a man possessed the other night was big. Rusty Holtsclaw who had some big buckets down the stretch. Thomas Guess had a very good game and Jones battled hard on the board. Chris Arnold played a key role in the win. The Ranger fans were a factor too. "TEAM EFFORT" Don't buy into what old East Tn Sportswriter is saying. Cloudland at Cloudland will be a dogfight. We better be ready to play. A win would be very big for the Rangers. :)

[Edited by coachtdog on 1-23-03 3:10P]