greeneville

barb

It has got to be tough for him to walk away and leave all that young talent.This Greeneville team only graduates 2 this year. With sophomore Lyons and juniors Manuel,White, and Mcnight as well as a promising freshman in Forney, a quality coach could have an outstanding season next year.

[Edited by barb on 1-8-03 9:24A]

The key word there is "Quality" coach. I believe these girls and those who follow them deserve to have the best that GHS can get. Let's not settle for mediocracy in our athletic programs any more than we want in our academics. A great deal of time and effort is put in by our athletes, than to not provide them with a great teacher / mentor in a coach. In plain, this job should not be filled from within or even this county, it deserves more.

Names I heard during the Ladies Classic as possible replacements:

Gene Huskey from Sevier County

Michael Potts from Jefferson County

Lynn Burkey of Farragut

GMS Coach Bill Muhlhahn

I would be surprised to see Ricker make the jump to the city.

Others I have heard or thought of:

former GHS assistant Bart Morrell , now at West Greene

current GHS assistant Johnny Painter

JOHNNY GALYON (just kidding GHS Fans!!!!!!! , made you flinch though didn't I)!

I rather doubt if Huskey would leave the money he is knocking down in Sevier County. I can't se Burkey leaving the city for small town life ....however Potts would be a very good fit. He has been competitive at Jefferson county.

Greeneville needs experience but also someone who will make a long term committment to the program. Huskey is too close to retirement himself for that kind of committment. I don't think Painter is head coach material although he is very well liked. In the end politics will be the deciding factor anyway. It is after all only women's basketball