Mt Pleasant job

Bob

I am interested in what the opinion is on the MP Job. I have always been told they have a great talant base. I hope some of you out there can give me your opinion on a few questions.

1. How many kids are going to MP and might they be moved up to AA?

2. I have kept up with scores from the daily herald and see that the Jr high wins a very high percentage of games. Why has this not been the case in High school? I know this may be comparing apples to oranges but are some of these possible factors

-High school plays stronger programs

-Jr high players not playing High school because

*Academic troubles

*Got into legal or school trouble

*Dissatisfied with program

*Lazy

*Transfers

3. Who are the major canidates for the job? Is the Junior high coach interested?

4. How is the administration? Are they behind the program?

5.Do they have a succesful booster club?

6. How does the pay system work in Maury County?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be honest with you. The main thing you need to find out is weather or not Coach Dugger is definately stepping down. He has talked about stepping down in the past, but he has changed his mind when others have shown interest in the job.

If he has resigned and they are interviewing, then to answer some of your questions, I don't think that Mt. Pleasant will go to 2A with in the next couple of years and maybe the four after that, but it will be close.

As far as your question of what happens between jr. high and high school, it is mainly coaching. I know some people think well if the players are motivated or if you have athletes. I am here to tell you that it is all coaching. It use to be that he just had better athletes and he had some assistants that should have been head coaches, but now he has average coaches on his staff, and the truth about him as a coach is shinning through.

I probably shouldn't be that blunt about coach Dugger and I apologies. You need to talk to somemore of his past coaches and players to find out about him.

I think that Mt. Pleasant would be a good place to coach. You could build a winning tradition like they use to have.

GOOD LUCK!!!! :D:D:D

Guest Pat359

I have always thought that this would be a good job. The community has always supported football. Just from watching the boys play, the new coach would probably have to start from scratch. Can he take any assistants with him down there or does he have to take the staff that is there? I think that one assistant has resigned too. Who's left?

Guest goinggoing

Well Bob it's time you got answers!

#1 I'm not sure of the student count but

I don't think MPHS is AA bound anytime soon.

#2 Yes, We can use the apples to apples

theory here.

*High School plays stronger sch. NO

*Jr. High players are trained and

tought the fundamentals of football.

*Academic troubles NO

*Legal or School trouble NO

*Dissatisfied with program MOST ASSURED

*Lazy NO

*Transfers YES Refer to Dissatisfied.

3. Major candidates I'm not sure, BUT

if the Jr. High coach is not a candidate

it will be the biggest travisty since

the night the lights went out in Georgia.

4. The administration? There's your lazy!

Are they behind the program? They have

behind's.

Change is hard, Same is easy.....

5. Successful Booster Club? It doesn't get

any better!

6. Pay system? That's where we sometimes

forget IT'S ABOUT THE KIDS NOT ME,

MYSELF AND I OR THE PAY!!!!!!!

NOW THAT'S MY OPINION AND AT LEAST 300

OTHER'S THANKS BOB FOR YOUR INTEREST

IN THE MPHS PROGRAM.... ;)

I'm not going to lie to you... this is a job I would love to have. The school has lots of talent and all they need is a new offense and a new guy to give the program some energy. I may not get a chance to interview for the position because I think I will have another job offer soon, and they will not decide on this position until late in February, but whoever gets this job will have the basic building blocks for a great team. Maury County folks love football and I know that there are some very faithful Tiger fans. My "Florida" offense would do well there with the talent they have in Mt. Pleasant. Good luck to the new coach and to Coach Dugger as he moves forward with his life. I know that both he and Eddie have given a lot of years to the Tigers.

I've interviewed at several schools. None of the schools have made a selection, as of yet, so I think it would be premature for me to say which schools at this time. I hope to know something before the end of the month. I've got another interview scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. It has been a long process for me and my family, but I hope it will be over soon. I would like to be in place preparing a new staff and team for spring practice by April or May, if possible. It would be tough to wait until June or July, I've been down that road before, and I would rather have the spring to begin the evaluation process.

Back to the subject of Mt. Pleasant... The people of Maury County really do love football and a coach needs that type of support to build a solid football program. The right man could do great things at Mt. Pleasant.

Guest goinggoing

I believe Mr. Wolaver will do the right

thing. He is an x/coach himself and seems

to have been awakened to what MPHS needs

and hopefully he has the openings and the

fianaces to hire the right man for the job.

If anyone knows who the legit candidates

are let us know here on the board. :confused: :D

I agree... Principal Wolaver is an ex-football coach and I think he will hire the right person for the job. When I used to live in Maury County, there was always an interest in the job from assistant coaches across the county. I think there will be no shortage of applicants for this position, including at least one or two from Spring Hill.

I spoke with some MPHS insiders over the weekend and they are thrilled a new coach will head the reigns there next year. While not many applications are in yet, there has been several people mentioned who would supposedly like to turn this program around.

With the budget crisis lingering in Maury County, some feel a coach outside the MC school system will not be a possibility. If that's the case there are a number of coaching assistants from around the county who'd love to get their start working with a potential 1A powerhouse like the Tigers. Assistants from Spring Hill, Columbia Central, and Mt. Pleasant would seem to be some of the logical choices.

However many feel Mr. Wolaver will use his clout to get whoever he believes will be the best fit for the job whether they be from Maury County or anywhere else in the mid-state. Some successful programs with great assistant coaches outside Maury County but close to and familiar with the Mt. Pleasant area are those from Collinwood, Wayne County, Lewis County, and Lawrence County. While Rickey Rice and Eddie Bassham may appear to be the front-runners to some, any assistant coach from one of these schools would be more than suitable for the job.

Now this is what I expected from this thread. I thought lots of people would be interested in the job. Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good place to build a program. I would think The Junior High Coach seems to be a good canidate. Hiring in County would also make since as well. I strongly wonder if canidates from Lawrence, Wayne, or Lewis Counties would be considered. I think if they go out of county they would want someone with head coaching experience. Do any of the Wayne Co, Collinwood, Lawrence Co, or Lewis county assitance have this experience?