Post Results/Smyrna V. Brentwood

CoachGonyeaSHS

Smyrna 45, Brentwood 32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

103 -- F. Prisayane (S) received Forfeit

112 -- R. Prisayane (S) received Forfeit

119 -- Kyle Dobson (S) p. Ross(:D 3:36

125 -- Holliman (:D d. B. Adkins 10-4

130 -- B.Hale (S) received Forfeit

135 -- C.Sholly (S) TF Jones(:D 17-3

140 -- Musser (:D p. C. Brooks 2:20

145 -- Quintana (B) DEF C.Cobble (S)*

152 -- Cochran (B) p. J.Henley(S) 1:29**

160 -- Ross (B) p. D.Pierce(S) 5:09

171 -- S.Inman (S) p. Gore(B) 1:44

189 -- Moore (B) TF M.Wallace 15-0

215 -- R.Hall (S) received Forfeit

HWT -- J.Turner (S) p. Slowey(B) 0:28

* Lost by default due to hair. After match had

started Ref deducted 1 team pt from Smyrna for

wrestler's hair. Wrestler could not get hair

covered befor injury time was up. Wrestler had

to default.

** Wrestler hit mat after loss. Smyrna loses 1

more team point

Wow coach. What medications are your guys taking. I got to get me some of that. The whole team wrestled Thursday, half of the lineup was out with the flu on Friday so you passed on Ryan, then on Tuesday the whole lineup is healthy and didn't miss a beat beating a good Brentwood team. Sounds like there is more going on than you would like to admit. Do you care to comment or leave us wondering?

I can't believe what I am reading today. Did Smyrna drink from the fountain of youth and get healed overnight? What is going on here? This is a slap in the face to the Father Ryan people who host a great tournament and obviously agreed to let your team in. Smyrna and their coach have mad a mockery of their team and his credibility. I hope Ryan never lets Smyrna come to their tournament after this. Coach G why in the world would you come on here and tell us that your kids got the flu or where hurt after a match on Thursday and that is why you pulled out of the Ryan tournament. Then you put your full line-up on Brentwood last night. You have lost all credibility in my eyes and most surely in most others who read on here. I really feel sorry for your wrestlers. That is a disgrace!

[Edited by takedown42 on 1-8-03 11:23A]

If my calculations are correct, of the 45 points scored by Smyrna, 24 were by forfeit. On paper Smyrna won; however, on the mat they lost. Could it be that with all the mysterious illness and injury suffered by Smyrna on Thursday night, Brentwood did not anticipate a full line up? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Here is where we have a problem. How many of you know my line-up? Not many I am sure. How many of you know where my guys wrestle in the line-up? Probably none of my critics. I have said twice now that I made a bad decision and that I have to move on. However, the crucifixion continues. If you knew my line-up then you would have seen that I had to fill 4 slots on Tuesday with JV guys. Yes, I still have 4 guys who are sick...two of which have strep throat...let me guess, you want me to wrestle them against Brentwood and wipe them out for a week also. I am trying to move on and make up for the mistake. Yet some of you won't let it die. What is the penance you want me to pay? Did I say that I felt that Father Ryan should invite us back. Never came from my lips. I don't expect that in any manner. You really need to check into ALL the details before you continue to pass judgement. I think if some people had it their way, Smyrna would just stop wrestling for the rest of the season and forfeit every weight class. As far as last night's match, Joe Blair has an excellent team. His program is top notch. However, you are assuming that the weight classes he forfeited would have automatically been won his guys.

I have apologized more than once for this decision. Just let it rest now and think about the Rest of YOUR season.

Coach Gonyea

Smyrna High

Hey - in defense of Smyrna...I was at Ryan...I was healthy...I was healthy the following couple of days...then the bug got me, almost instantly...thought I was dying...this flu thing is sudden and you will feel like you've been hit by a Mack truck...everything hurts...24 hours later...I'm fine. Haven't seen Smyrna lately so it must be in the air...beware!