Unaka! What has happend?

Guest madhandles

Guest madhandles

As I've stated before on here, I think Unaka has a very good team. But losing 3 of their last 5??? I did not see the Pickett Co. Tourney or Cosby game, so I can't comment on them. Maybe someone else can help explain those 2? As for the Hampton game, I saw tired, unemotional team that looked and played like Hampton was going to roll over and quit just because they had beaten them before. When everybody knows that a well-coached team (which Hampton is) will not stay down and just let you beat them over and over again, they're going to fight. And that's exactly what they did.

I'm beginning to wonder about Unaka's HEART...No leadership, haven't even played as hard this year as they did last year, no post play (they quit working when they don't get the ball early in the game and then they quit rebounding).

These are only the opinion of a Carter County women's basketball fan. Everyone has one and I would like to read so of them. Thanks.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The loss @ Pickett was to a good team and Cosby was to the officals (based on the number of foul shot attempts by both).

I agree no floor general. You can't appoint one and if no one is willing to step up. What do you do?

The Hughes girl for Cloudland last year may not have scored as many points as other, may not have rebounded as much as others, or had as many steals BUT the leadership she gave made all the difference in the world.

Unaka sure could use a leader to guide the wealth of talent they have.

Monroe County loss: first game in 2 weeks, good team (Unaka's better), poor shooting from outside, no rebounds.

Hampton loss: poor shooting, no rebounding, over confident, no hustle (I read somewhere that if you told this particular person who wrote the book [sorry don't remember his name] to hustle, he considered that an insult because not only was that what you were supposed to do without anyone telling you to, it takes absolutely no athleticism or talent to hustle...) I agree 100% with him. ALSO, Hampton kept their focus throughout the game, even when they were down early. Joy Gardner, always in the right place at the right time...refuses to lose.

Cosby loss: Again, no rebounding and I hate to say this, because regardless of the officiating, you should be able to overcome and play smarter (in other words, know what you can & cannot get away with on the floor based on how the officials are calling)if you are truly the better team. However, 34 FT for one team and 13 for the other doesn't sound right... If more defensive rebounds were gotten then maybe the foul disparity would not have been as wide.

Moral of the story: In most games, you could have done something better that would have changed or altered how the game was called. I just don't buy into the officiating as the sole reason you lose a game. [And believe me, I've seen all types.]

The ship can be righted with a win against TN Temple on Friday. Like a great coach once said:"Winning is a habit, but unfortunately losing is too." - Vince Lombardi

Ladies losing is not the habit, you want to continue with!GET FOCUSED AND STAY FOCUSED FOR 32 MINUTES!!!!

I saw the game at Hampton and I saw a team that was not mentally prepared to play with regard to Unaka. They were not focused as already mentioned in these posts and certainly showed no desire to win. May have taken Hampton for granted but Hampton is beginning to turn the corner with a very young team. They sometimes play 4 freshmen and 1 junior Early season success may be the worse thing that has happened to the Lady Rangers. You have to work hard every day to maintain the level of intensity that is required. As a matter of fact, the only time that success come before work is in the dictionary....

I agree, the girls heads was not in the game. Were the girls over looking Hampton or looking toward Cosby, who knows. A loss can help bring you back to the real world. Now the girls can feel sory for themselves or the loss can help drive them to get better and become a better TEAM. Good luck girls keep your head up and show how good you can be.