Westview 66 vs Gibson Co. 53

thebeave

Wescharge is a pickster.

He predicted a 67-62 win and boy was he close.

He needs to bring his obvious expertise to the PLUS BOARD YOU CHEAP SCATE!!!

Final score: Westview-66

Gibson Co.-53

Great game. Excellent execution by both teams. The pace changed every possession. It was nice to see two teams that could play in a full and half court set. The Dudley girl from Gibson Co. and the Bellamy girl from Westview could very will split the Ms. Basketball award starting next year. Dudley hit shot after shot and you can see why there is so much hype surronding Bellamy.

Reynolds once again shot the lights out. She hit a three, got creamed, and (of course) nailed the free throw for a good ol' fashion 4 point play.

If you have not seen Cavin or Baird play, you better do it now. If not, you will have to pay $8+ dollars when they play in college.

Don't miss the rematch at GC at the end of this month. It will be another good one.

[Edited by thebeave on 1-10-03 10:07P]

[Edited by thebeave on 1-11-03 10:30A]

Guest ralphtbone

WesCharge was correct with the win. He was off just a few points. I thought the refs did a great job in keeping the game under control. The unfortunate byproduct was key players in foul trouble in the first period. Baird/Ferrell both had 2 fouls and had to sit most of the first half. This affected the type of game that was played. This is not normal and a different type of called game could result in different results. Both teams played hard. It will be interesting to see the rematch. Especially when both coaches pull all of the stops out. Any Thoughts?

It was a great game and it was good to see the gym full again. My personl opinion, in what seems to contradict coventional wisdom is that on Friday night at least, Westview was a much better team able to control the tempo, put more scorers and ball-handlers on the floor and was generally better prepared. In addition, Westview seemed quicker and more physical than Gibson. This is not to say that Gibson is not a very good team and that they can't beat Westview at some later date,but the best team won on Friday night.

Guest getupview

What a huge win for Westview! It is a great feeling of victory anytime when you beat Gibson Co. Congrats to the whole team. The girls played their hearts out and came up with the big win. I would not count Westview out in the state tourny. I see we have alot of doubting toms on coacht. The Lady Chargers and Coach Mac know what they are doing and know how to prepare for the big ones. Great job Cavin. Keep on pulling though. Reynolds, DeSantis, Farrell, and Bellamy: Awesome work. Meghan, Hope you see you back real soon. CAVIN FOR MS. BASKETBALL!

Westview did look great and Cavin is a great player, but she needs to shed the attitude. Why all the taunting and showboating? I think you will see Westview in Murphreesboro and I hope Cavin decides to be a class player-she surely has the talent and maybe her actions are misinterpreted, but I didn't like her sportsmanship last night. Is it normal for her to act like that? The Reynolds girl made the difference. They are a very impressive team. Gibson Co was definitely out-played, but Jill Johnson and Amanda Cunningham are both playing with injuries. Will Fuqua be back for the Jan. 28th meeting?

That seems to be pretty backward considering the way Gibson County played. :confused:

Cavin is a great kid and what you saw, I believe, was a kid who was ready to play and took it right to GC. Yes, you misinterpeted what you saw. Don't let the fact that GC got beat cloud your judgement, just appreciate the brand of basketball that was played last night. Both teams have legitimate shots at the 'Boro and I for one am pulling for both to meet in the state finals. (Westview winning of course) :D

gcfan- I have to agree with Wizard04 on this one.

I think you saw from Cavin was sheer enthusasm You must only know Cavin from watching a few games because if you knew her at all, you would never think she "taunts" the other team. I consider the young lady to have a very high level of sportsmanship and it's just as high as her energy level. I've been watching her play ball since she was a kid and I'll tell you that anything Kendall Cavin does she does 100% or she doesn't do it, especially when it comes to sports. Her enthusiasm and drive won't be turned off- nine times out of ten it's what keeps her teammates up. She's their cheerleader on the court. If you've seen Kendall play a few games, you will notice that anytime her teamates make an important play or step to the foul line she is the first to encourage them, pat them on the back, do whatever it is she does to keep them encouraged. I've seen her get more excited over Reynold's 3's or Meghan's drive to the basket than her own plays.

You say you hope "Cavin decides to be a class player-". I'm sorry that Kendall's actions during the gc game led you to believe she is not a "class player". I hope when you see her play again your mind is changed but I do hope she plays at the same level of enthusiasm and spirit and if that's showboating then I guess it's showboating.

Keep up the good work Lady Chargers. We are so proud of each and every one of you!

Viewfan:

Point well taken. I have only seen Cavin play against G.C. and in a few other tournament games. I just didn't remember her acting like that in any of the games last year. Sounds like you know her well and I will go into the game on the 28th hoping to see her in a different light. She obviously loves the game and has quite a talent. As I saw it Friday night, they are going to be hard to beat.

[Edited by gcfan on 1-12-03 6:41P]

Wizard04:

What seems backward? From what I saw Friday night, Westview has the better team. Coming from a GC fan, that doesn't seem like my judgment is clouded by the loss. There is a difference between being encouraging and supporting of your teammates and taunting the opponent. From your response and that of "viewfan", sounds like Cavin's actions were not meant to be taunting. Be assured that I do appreciate the great basketball like we saw Friday night. Of course, it was much better if you were a Westview fan! No question that Cavin and, for that matter, the whole Westview team came ready and took it to GC on Friday. Hopefully, GC will play better on the 28th. As for the state tourney, your championship game sounds good to me - but with a different outcome, of course.

[Edited by gcfan on 1-12-03 6:38P]

Kendall gets up for the "Big" games, aka Gibson County, Chester County, Obion County, etc. She steps her game up in those situations, and a by-product of that is her excitement. When Westview is playing a weaker team, she is just as thrilled to see the role players and young ones get there points. She is the 1st one of the bench to yell for the younger group in those games. But when the lights are turned on, on the "big girls" are in the gym, it is her time to shine, and she loves those games. I would love to watch 'View-Gibson Co every nite, but it can't happen. But when it does, she is excited, not taunting...

Guest getupview

I didn't mean for everyone to make a big fuss over what I wrote bout Cavin for Ms. BBall, but while everyone is on the subject, let me just say something. I think that because of Cavin's excitment the gets excited right with her. True, Cavin is very emotional on the court, however, I think that when she gets hyped up, the other girls playing with up hyped up too. I also think that her emotions are interesting to watch. Kendall is a very humble person. She is the first one to help people up, and she is the first one to encourage. Kendall is a real team player and leader. Kendall, keep up the energy level. That's who you are and don't let anyone tell you different.