Let's just get it over with and SPLIT!

southernpride

Caesar says, "Let's just get it over with and have a total split!" The courts have ruled and it should be clear to everyone that private and public schools can no longer compete together. I think todays ruling has made it clear, we need to have two different leagues.

Let Rome rule over the Western Empire and Constantinople rule over the Eastern Empire. Maybe Carlton Flat will be the ruler of the East?

[Edited by caesar on 1-13-03 3:20P]

I somehow don't think that would succeed in "getting it over with." For one thing, considering the inferior treatment accorded to Division II in several respects (the BlueCross Bowl being televised but the Clinic Bowl not even being offered to radio, potentially the same with the traditional wrestling finals, being sent all the way to Memphis for a potentially Knoxville-Nashville sectional game in basketball when no Division I school is placed in that position, etc.) and now having no way to avoid that treatment, the privates would have a case (not open-and-shut, mind you) to strike that down.

Second, there are still the magnet-school and open-zone issues that would not be solved.

Third, the privates would not necessarily have any measure of self-governance after a split.

I think if they thought people would watch it, it would have been broadcast somehow..I've seen private school teams with horrible home crowds especially considering when they were state champion contenders. As for the section being in Memphis, I don't know any details at all (I don't pay much attention to Division II like many) but if all private schools were in Division II right now I'd say you could have east, middle and west sections or regionals or whatever you wanted to call them.

The basketball sectional round for Division II is the equivalent, essentially, of the sub-state round in Division I. In everything except Division II basketball, when such a round is played, one of the competing teams hosts (perhaps at a nearby college, but still near them). These are games being played 200 miles from the nearer school!

Aren't MUS, CBHS and the rest out there in it? If there is just one division then one region of the state has to be hosting. there's no way around it. My point is with many more teams, a Division II could have a small class and large class with regions in the east, middle and west. I posted potential basketball regions for Division II, it probably wouldn't be too hard to find, just use a team that isn't discussed much as a search word.

This is not the state tournament I'm talking about--that's at MTSU with the rest. These are the level before that, and in no other sport are those games at anything other than a home site, in either division.

And the TSSAA already claims it can't afford to even let all eight qualifiers from D2 basketball regionals make the trip to Murfreesboro. There's no way they'll add another class.

• 3 weeks later...

The rumor out of Nashville is that the private schools in middle TN have a plan to create a seperate association, if forced to split by the TSSAA. I speculate that Ronnie Carter knows this information, and will not allow the split to happen. Carter knows that if he forces out the privates they will leave the TSSAA, but the public schools will just take whatever ruling put forth by the Legislative Council. Ronnie Carter will never risk losing the money. Public schools need to send the same message to Ronnie, and let him decide which group means the most to the Association. :o