BA: 82...Cumberland County 82-70 LOSS

*FRHS: 76...Northeast 85-76 WIN

FEWEST POINTS ALLOWED:

BA: 37...Martin Luther King 50-37 WIN

FRHS: 37...Briarcrest 52-37 WIN

OPPONENT CLASSIFICATION / RECORD AGAINST:

BA:

-A: None

-AA: 3-1 (MLK-2, Livinston Academy, Marshall County)

-AAA: 1-4 (Cookeville, Mt. Juliet-2, Cumberland County, Bartlett)

-D2: 3-2 (BGA, USN, Baylor, McCallie, Harding Academy)

-OTHER: 1-0 (Knott County, KY)

FRHS:

-A: 1-0 (Goodpasture)

-AA: 1-0 (Springfield)

-AAA: 4-2 (Blackman, Tullahoma, Clarksville, Northeast, Oakland-2)

-D2: 6-0 (Christian Brothers, MUS, MBA, ECS, Briarcrest, Notre Dame)

-OTHER: 1-0 (St. Pius, GA)

There are the numbers. Predictions??

I think that B.A. has a good shot at making this a game. Father Ryan is a little banged up, but they still seem to be playing pretty well. Thompson might not be playing, which is a big loss for the Irish, but they've had a lot of bench players step up lately. I'm excited though because this one should be a thriller. Both teams are very deep and use their deep benches to their advantage. Looking for a great game, but i pick the Irish to win because they seem to be playing great right now.

Guest CourtTechnician

This game will be decided by the guards. BA is a little suspect at the guard position but Father Ryan will take a major blow if Thompson is unable to play. Dylan Lynch will be called upon to score a little more if Thompson is unable to play. BA has some serious height in the post but Father Ryan's posts are a little more agile and smart. Team who scores the most points after four quarters will more than likely win the game.<--thats my prediction.

Injuries aside, Father Ryan clearly appears to be the better team right now. They have played a tougher schedule, and have beaten several very good teams. BA, on the other hand, has beaten only one other team I would consider to be of very good quality (Cookeville) and although coming close against a couple of others, have not pulled it out. If they are motivated, and the guards bare hitting, the Eagles could pull out a close one, but my guess is that the Irish win this one 55-42.

Hope I'm wrong! ;)

Well...I was wrong. Brentwood Academy upset Father Ryan 51-49 last night at the Irish' home court, behind Freshman Brandon Wright's 16 points. BA played well, and the guards held their own, holding the number of turnovers down below the season average against a tenacious Ryan defense. Seemed like Ryan tried to out-physical BA, and were unable to do so. They had no answer for BA's inside game.

The game was a real foul-fest, and had BA shot anything like a decent freee throw percentage, it would have been more like a 10-12 point win.

I'd be interested in hearing from some Irish fans what their perspective was. Looked to me that BA had superior athletes at most positions, particularly the frontcourt, and matched Ryan's intensity pretty well. On the other side of the ledger, Ryan just looked a bit flat to me, and clearly Thompson wasn't 100%. The snow kept the crowd way down too, so there was no real home court advantage.

Congratulations on a huge win, Eagles.

Guest CourtTechnician

The third quarter did the Irish in. They had too many turnovers in that period. Everett Bills and Brent Carney got into foul trouble and never really got into the flow of the game. BA's inside game was very dominant. Brandon Wright is very smooth and tough. Thompson's wrist was hurting him all game it appeared. He was kinda limited on what he wanted to do offensively. BA had a good game plan though and they won so I give them credit.

They're getting better, and the guards are becoming more cognizant of what makes this team go. I think that if you look at the early games, it was very clear that BA was a group of great athletes, but not a team. They are becoming one. They could be really tough down the stretch.

Well, I just got home from a night of sledding and video games, but I also made it to the basketball game. What a contest! The game essentially matched BA's inside game against Father Ryan's guards, and with Bills and Carney getting into foul trouble, the Eagles were able to exploit the paint and take the win. BA led 12-10 after the 1st Quarter, and extended their lead to 26-20 at the half, at which time four Irish players had 2 fouls. The 3rd Quarter began with Ryan going on a 12-0 run, but putting up 6 quick fouls in the process. BA squeezed back into it, and the game was even entering into the 4th. In the final period, a seesaw of scoring ensued, with Ryan nailing 3's and the Eagles hitting inside layups. Missed shots by the Irish gave the Eagles the chance to win, which they did, 51-49.

Congratulations to Brentwood Academy, whose 3-0 region record (wins over BGA, USN, and Ryan) puts them in 1st place. Next game: Jan. 21st at Ezell-Harding.