Division 1 vs. Division 2

Guest TikeG

If the State Champions from each weight class wrestled each other after the finals on Feb.16, this is how I see it, but we probably won't have the opportunity to see these great matches.

(Going by TennWrestling.com and SilverBullet)

***Some weight class have more than one, because I couldn't choose just one, so I added "or" for most weights.

103- Coleman(Clev) or Tinsley(B.C)

vs.

Dunning(FR) or Manson(Bay)

**All are young, very tough weight class, would be a thriller to watch the 2 champions wrestle each other.

112- Gooden(R.B.) or Speroff(Coll.) or Ortiz(Frank)

vs.

Hiller(FR) or Simpson(MBA)

**Alot of talent in this weight class. May be a good match?

119- Cordell(B.C.) or James(S.D.)

vs.

Leen(Bay)

**Like 5 State Championships b/w these 3 wrestlers. Would be an awesome match...could be the best match up of the night. Alot of opinions though in the message boards.

125- Bird(E.R.) or Jennings(Clk.) or Brown(S.D)

vs.

Siblerman(McC.)

**I definitely see Silberman wrestling one of these 3 wrestlers. Bird gave Silberman a match at McCallie. Would Jennings or Brown?

130- West(B.C) or Furmon(R.B.)

vs.

Dunning(FR)

**I see Dunning winning the match, but still be good to see Furmon or West? Rematch b/w West and Furmon...except this time in the finals.

135- Lane(S.D.) or Gooden(R.B.)

vs.

Manley(McC)

**Lane and Gooden would be a good match. Alot of strength between these wrestlers. 3 Tough Studs!

140- Creagan(B.C.) or Houston(Jeff. Co.)

vs.

Myers(FR) or Smith(McC)

**Don't know much a/b these wrestlers, but good to see probably? Creagan and Smith?

145- Ball(Frnk. Page) or Mckinney(Dobb. Byn.)

vs.

Scott(McC) or Marable(CBHS)

**Alot of talk a/b Scott and Marable.....can Division 1 fianlists wrestle either one of these guys from D2?

152- Catlett(B.C.)

vs.

Stark(FR) or Connel(McC) or Hodge(Bay)

** I pick Catlett to win this match, no matter who his opponent is, but who would give him the best match?

160- Gibson(B.C.)

vs.

Mctorry(Bret.Acad.) or Blockley(Bay) or Levitt(McC)

** I see the same thing for Gibson as Catlett....which D2 160 could give the best match?

171- Jones(Clev.)

vs.

Marable(CBHS) or Lurell(MBA)

**Don't know much a/b these wrestlers, but do know that Jones has stepped up alot this year, and is tough.

189- Cooper(B.C.) or Davis(West.)

vs.

Goodman(MBA) or Greenwood(FR)

** I know Cooper is tough, don't know a/b the others?

215- Bonham(Clev.) or Pereia(Farr.)

vs.

Thornhill(MBA) or Springer(KC)

** This is another weight class that I don't know much a/b.....your guess is as good as mine??

275- Crosby(Grenv.) or Pennington(Clk.) or Brugal(Bolt.)

vs.

Cooper(MBA) or Hooser(Mem.) or Hoover(FR)

** All 6 of these guys are strong, tough, and determined. But I see Crosby coming out on top.

*****Tough to tell which Division would win, but fun to watch!!!!

Guest MatMaid4Life

Good list of matches. A lot of them would be exciting to see. But I have a question who will win 112 in D2? Simpson or Hiller. Both keep going back and forth. Simpson comes from an amazing wrestling family but does he have what he need to take on Hiller for another state title? Hiller beat Simpson at McCallie and Hiller won the Ryan Invitational even though the two didn't wrestle. And at the match Ryan vs. MBA that was exciting...Simpson put Hiller on his back and I thought he was going to get pinned.

Any feedback?

MatMaid4Life:

Feedback: I've wrestled both Hiller and Simpson. I wrestled Simpson in the semi's at McCallie Invite, and Simpson beat me 7-4, after he just took it to me for 3 periods, but not after i got 4 points late in the match, and agve him 1 pt.

Then I wrestled Simpson again at Father Ryan in the semi's again. And to be honest, I didn't think I was gonna wrestle good, but I knew I didn't have anything to lose. I put him on his back the first period. 2nd period he got a reversal and rode me out. 3rd Period with a minute left I was up by 2...he cut me, and I took him down and to his back. Now, I know Simpson didn't wrestle his match.....he's way better than that. Then, I got the chance to wrestle Hiller, which I had been looking forward to(for the experience). And he wore me out, it seemed like it wasn't the fianls. Hiller beat me 7-1, and I had to work for 3 periods to get that one pt. Hiller has a nice "pass by".

Hiller and Simpson match is awesome to watch. Both know what the other does, so sometimes, it's alittle crazy for both wrestlers. At McCallie, Both looked good, but Hiller had control of the match. I didn't see it, but I hear Simpson wrestled tough in the dual meet(Ryan/MBA). I also heard it was a defensive match, and I'm guessing b/c they both know what th eother does. It'll be interesting how the highly anticipated Hiller/Simpson match will go. Both are extremely good!

-Tike

Guest TNwrestle86

tike,

simpson has the most potential, but besides the slip up at the duals, hiller has been the best throughout i think. i see hiller winning it by 3 or 4. cant wait to see it.

Tike,

I didnt know you before I called that semi @ FR Inivitational. You provided an incredbily astute analysis of your weight class, perhaps the most humble that has ever been recorded here.

You have the guns to take anyone at 112. And, of course, they have the guns to take you as well and eachother. Kinda depends on who loads their gun (that space between the ears) with the best, dryest powder.

I was impressed with your analysis, and look forward to seeing you in Chatt.

reftn

[Edited by reftn on 1-17-03 9:33A]

the 2 losses were at the knox catholic inv in early december. he wrestled 160 and lost to blockley(baylor) in overtime and another guy (don't have my notes with me) by a point. it was his worst showing ever, but he has not been defeated since.

he beat blockley a week or so later in a dual.

he then won the mccallie inv, beating connell in the semi's and leet(westminster,ga) in the finals.

[for perspective: stark(ryan) was in the same tourney and lost to webb(walton) 14-2 in the qtr's, and then webb was beaten 3-2 by leet in the semi's]

he won the central inv, but the competition was not as tough.

he has not faced those you listed. the only connection is that he beat connell, and most of those have lost to connell this year. since there is no better tie in, it's really a guess to try to see where he fits in with these guys.

catlett, of course, deserves the top ranking. it's a shame that they didn't get to wrestle last night.