State records in jeopardy?

KGP3428

Does anyone think that any state records could be broken this track season? In my opinion:

Boys:

1600- Dusty Miller (Knox West)-ran 4:13 at state

110H- John Yarbrough (Hunters Lane)-14.14 at state

Triple Jump- Brandon Winbush (Bartlett)-current state record holder

Pole Vault- Michael Hogue (Houston)-vaulted 15'10.5 last year which is already higher then the official state record

Girls:

Triple Jump- Lauren Stewart and Cassie Gullickson (Brentwood High)- both jumped farther then the current record this summer.

Pole Vault- This record should be broken this year

Miranda Clark from Riverdale should have a shot at a record

(don't know much about the girls)

There are more that I'm not naming. What does everyone think?

[Edited by KGP3428 on 1-18-03 4:38P]

[Edited by KGP3428 on 1-23-03 10:10P]

Guest kenwoodrun

Hey, I thought Yarbourgh #2 was gone this year...is John still around? And to speculate on Arizona-bound Miranda Clark...she's got no chance to break the 800 record if Riverdale continues to put her in the suicidal 400/800/4x4 combination.

I hear there is a terrifying good freshman running at USN in Nashville that's already sub 2:15 in the 800 and showed up w/ a 56 quarter last year. Too bad we can't have a DII vs AAA combo in the 400 at state.

BTW, I think your speculations are all good and reasonable, unlike some folks who are already talking tremendous junk about the 4x800 over on dyestat. I won't get started on that...

i think you also have to consider the possibility of the 3200 and 800 records being broken. if dusty can run 4:10 or so, he should be able to challenge 9:10 and 1:51. also, the 3200 record was set by a guy whose pr on steeplechase was (i believe) 15:02. dusty broke 15 and bumbalough ran 15:06, so i think the 3200 has to be considered in jeopardy as well.

Guest kenwoodrun

Brad, I think you are on the money...but remember the format at state lines things up so that if Dusty wants to take a shot at the 3200m record, he's going to have to expend a tremendous amount of effort (running virtually solo) in the AM session at the risk of feeling "less than good" for his main event, the 1600...some 8 hours later. That is, unless he can go somewhere else to break it earlier (like Sean Stevens did).

Guest kenwoodrun

Yeah, Stevens went down to the big meet in Alabama his senior year and ran like a 9:10...and then Allison Turner broke the state pole vault record on our track last year and TSSAA is going to certify that (though it may not last long). I guess as long as the meet is as specific as the standards used at state, it would go...although not all auto timing systems compare in quality...and do we ever use wind gauges in Tennessee for 100/110? I think even I can run a 10.5 with a strong enough tailwind.

Guest kenwoodrun

Tonto, remember Mardy Scales from Centennial? He ran 10.50 at Kenwood Classic in '99 or '00, FAT...I remember, because I was doing the FAT with about 5 people over my shoulder. And it was a fantastic, still Saturday afternoon...but no wind gauge. So Coach Forde from APSU brought the wind gauge over for regional and Scales lays down and runs 10.95 or something at finals. Oh well...if Jones ran 10.45 Scales record wouldn't have meant much anyway!