Mario is the best in the upper cumberland

Guest bgatCHS

Guest bgatCHS

Mario Burnett is the best player in the upper cumberland and has beaten at least five teams by himself for Cookeville. If it was not for him Cookeville's only win would come against White Co. If he keeps up his pace he will be one of the top 25 scorers in TN!! Look out for MARIO!!!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding? Mario has been the best player in the Upper Cumberland since he stepped on the high school scene 4 years ago. It's just he has never been the go to guy and the offense until this year. If Cobb and Burks and not been at Cookeville before him we're talking one of the Upper Cumberland's all-time top scorers. And I just don't know how you can put his performance against Cumberland County into words. It was truly remarkable to see a player take his team on the verge of a humiliating loss to an amazing come from behind victory. You can't sing enough praises for that one. If you have seen the thread with the top scorers then you notice that he is not on there. Before this incredible game he put up he was averaging 22pts/3.5 asts. and 5 boards a game. Oviously they WILL go up! As the season progreses he continues to build his self confidence and the confidence of his teammates. If you have the oppurtunity to see Mario play then I strongly recommend that you do so. Hopefully Mario can stay healthy and confident and lead his team to a season that we won't soon forget. Hope to see him playing at the next level because he certainly has the talent all he must do is maintain a strong-willed desire and he can get there and maybe farther. He has a great family that will help him push his asspirations if he so chooses to proceed and I wish him and the Cavaliers the best of luck this year and in the future.

No, actually they have 5 seniors. It is just that Mario is the only one..... well, on the team that has had previous years' experience. The other 4 are post players but they all contribute to the cause with rebounding and what not. They also bring to the table the intangible role of senior leadership. That always helps teams to go far. Probably the other players that you are thinking of have either quit or found another sport. Truth be told, there are several seniors in our school that could probably be on the team and have a profound impact. Wish they would play but there are just somethings that hold people back.

Dog11- you have got to be kidding me. He has been the best player in the uppercumberland for the last 4 years? Thats not even close. Mario is a great player and what has helped him more than anything is the playing time he got when he was younger. Cause when he was a sophmore the district was probably the toughest in the state and he was playing against great competition night in and night out, which by the way was a lot better than him. I know Mario personally so don't think i'm hating. Just giving you the facts. The district is down and basketball in general is down right now. That is great for mario cause he was able to compete when it was a lot tougher, thats why he excels so much now cause he was playing against much better players when he was younger. I like watching him play though he is a good player, I've been saying that since he was a freshman though. Another reason he scores so much though is because who else on that team can help him? There isn't any one else that can put up many points on that team so he has to. He is definantley capable. Is he the best in the Upper Cumberland.........yeah I'd say he is. I haven't seen the tate kid from York though this year, he was a great scorer when he was younger. Don't know what he is doing this year, not much I guess cause I don't here bout him. So I say mario for sure right now.

Fastereddie, Well ok maybe that was more directed at the fact that he is the best in his class and has been for as long as I can remember. As for the district being down...hardly. Ever herd of Oakland. I think they are ranked 7th in the state and it's when anybody in the district can beat anybody else in the district that makes it good. Warren County is doing surprisingly well and so are my boys from Cookeville as they are exceding everyone's expectations. I know personally the majority of our team and at the beginning of the season not one of them thought that they would even win ten games and let me tell you if it wasn't for Mario they sure wouldn't have. Blackman and Lebanon are also very tough. I think Riverdale will bounce back from their woes and compete for the district crown. But don't be surprised if the district tournament runs through the Cookeville Cavaliers this year.

To pilot- Mario had 34pts not sure on the rebounds and assists but I know that both were above 5.