DI State Duals draw

slingshot

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with it being at the same location each year if it is run properly. But, just as the spring fling was moved from Chattanooga this year because the TSSAA found better facilities and a better profit margin elsewhere, the Clarksville gym is inadequate and the TSSAA should explore better opportunities. Maybe Clarksville has a trade center that could better house the event? Maybe Austin Pea has a better gym? Either of these options would still allow the Clarksville booster club to run their usual quality event just in a better facility. The floor needs to be large enough to lay 3 mats in a row with bleachers on each side. Surely there is such a facility in the Clarksville area?

i have enjoyed going to clarksville -they are good host- i do think putting d2 on the third mat every year (farthest from the spectators) is a priviledge-and no team or group of teams should be afforded a leg up on the others - i assure you the # of fans that travel to watch the D2 competition is equal to if not greater than the D1- why not rotate which matches fall on certain mats rather than throw all D2 on the far mat (up until the finals) -

Give us a break slingshot. Does the Clarksville boosters do the seeding for the duals? If so, that would be a bit strange. Are the individual's in Chattanooga every year? Nooga's a nightmare too! I like to be close enough to see the matches. But Soddy or somebody there is good enough to host - and deserves the money they make. Evidently Clarksville's folks are willing to work too for the money.

Were you ever at Overton? That's always a nightmare. Not the people, the facility. Or anyplace else the championships have ever been? Maybe you would like to do the individuals and the duals.

Part of the problem is the number of teams. You're right in that it might be better to split D1 and D2 as they do in other sports. Yes, it might cut the crowd in half, but it sure would be a lot more convenient.

If you think anybody could have beaten Bradley last year, you need a long nap. As for the people in Clarksville, yeah they're loud but good for them.

Having Soddy and Clarksville or Bradley and Soddy or Bradley and Clarksville in the championship is great. That nasty gym rocks. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun if Houston, Farrgut, and Kenwood are in the finals. Both of their fans would have a ball.

Those three teams (BC, S-D, and CHS) ought to get a bye to the tournament just because of their fans. Those people know wrestling and they love it.

I think that the point we're missing about this discussion is that Clarksville isn't the only place that could do a good job and has great support. There are other programs with facilities as good or better and boosters that have more experience of putting on tournaments than Clarksville. If money is the answer then it's obvious to me that if the tournament was held in Chattanooga or Nashville, where wrestling has deeper roots with more teams and fans, that would offer the best opportunity for finanical success.

Guest copamundial

walkenvol - I heard the spring fling was moved for purely economic reasons: money guarantee to TSSAA from Memphis. What better facilities are available in Memphis than Chattanooga? I'm sincerely interested. I don't always understand TSSAA decisions.

Are you saying that one of the schools has a better track than GPS? Softball, baseball, etc. How many fields do you need? There are as many GOOD fields in Chattanooga. And somebody mentioned all events would be more convenient if all were at U of Memphis instead of spread out. OK. And then there was talk about all the athletes staying in the dorms at U of Memphis. When was that decided?

Oh yeah, and by the way the number of teams was increased in soccer to 8 in AAA. Doubling the size of the soccer tournament was NEVER discussed publicly prior to the vote. The word is that since soccer was going to use the Rose Complex that they might as well increase the size: that would bring more teams, more money, etc. to the Rose Complex and TSSAA. Again, evidently that was a change that TSSAA didn't feel was necessary to discuss with principals or athletic directors BEFORE the vote.

Now, I am not a TSSAA professional critic. Most people feel the spring championships should be in middle Tennessee. Most states have their state championships in a central location. Could you imagine the Texas football championships in El Paso? How about the Indiana basketball championships in East Chicago? But not the people in charge of TSSAA.

Science Hill, D-B, etc will miss almost the entire week of final exams. Does that make sense? Yes - I remember it's also been a drive from Memphis to Chattanooga. Sorry, I digress.

I look forward to UT-C and Clarksville. They put on a good show.

OK sly - Everything you say is true and? What's your point?

I've got an idea: just to make sure nobody has an advantage. Move the individuals to Oneida and the duals to Pulaski.

Then move all state championships to Kingsport! If you notice football and basketball are in middle Tennessee. That's not fair.

If you don't like Chattanooga and Clarksville, at least have the cahoneys to say so!

Guest 1moretime

who wants to bet where the state duals will be next year. i got my money on clarksville!!!! why not it is there every year. you would think clarksville would get tired of throwing parties for the other teams.

cw160, I know the football and basketball championships are held at MTSU...I just wish the state duals were held there too. I don't hate Chattanooga I wish the state duals were there. As far as Clarksville goes I agree with 1moretime's post.....Clarksville must be getting tired of having to throw a party for the winner since it's usually not them. About the party for the winner, now that's an area Clarksville could use some improvment on.....CAHONEY'S??????

[Edited by sly on 1-26-03 8:49P]

Well said SuperZ, I will agree to all you stated. We that support CHS are proud of our team of wrestlers and our Coaches. We are fortunate to have a great Booster Club and the Fan support we do. Yes, and I will not leave out the Students, they come out by the numbers when we need them also. GO CHS!! Lets make lots of noise during the State Duals for our Team...