Lewis County Legends Report to Spring Training

fadeaway

The Lewis County Legends have began spring training over last couple of weeks and hope to begin playing a full schedule of at least twice a week in the upcoming months. Several key players to note are the following:

Travis McKissack - An early ESPN favorite for "Comeback Player of the Year", Travis has defied all odds by overcoming double knee replacement surgery to play one more year to give the fans a final farewell tour. Despite having to be given morphine shots between games, his play is back up to the level it was 5-6 years ago.

Lil' Jerry Brown - ODB is also coming back from a knee injury, though it was not as career threatening as T-Mac's. His ballhandling is as good as ever and his defensive play is still top notch. Though he still occassionaly sees double (due to the malicious screen from Coach Smith one year ago that left ODB with a concussion) his three point shooting percentage is still among the leagues leaders.

Jason Alexander - Jason has been absent to Spring Training so far but is expected to show up this week sometime. If his physical endurance is as good as it was during the fall, the other legends are going to be in for it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year will be more exciting than ever with several new faces making appearances. Ryan Renolds is the pre-season ROOKIE OF THE YEAR pick, followed by Earl"The Pearl"Taylor, and Robert Brewer. Travis Mckissack is returning for one more season and has looked strong so far, but can he endure a long 28 game schedule. Larry Rodgers also makes his return after setting out 1 season for unknown reasons. ODB has looked good in the preseason after a disappointing season last year. Jason Alexander held himself out of the preseason because of frostbite to his left foot. More on the Legends later. Any more updates on the pre-season games?

I have been hearing a lot about the Lewis County Legends and I was wondering how the group got together? Did any of them play college ball? Do they all still reside in Lewis Co. or do they come from all over the state to play ball? If people wanted to come to a game, when and where do you play?

"LJ is like a time bomb when he's playing basketball. It's not a matter of if, but when he's going to blow up."---Quote from Andy Lawson, November 2002.

ODB does play with lots of emotion, however he was not always this way. Years of verbal abuse and physical punishment from opponents at the Courts have made him the way he is today. Illegal moving-screens from bigger and stronger players like Coach Smith (especially when you deliberately stick your elbow into a players cranium) are part of the reason for his rage. Constant smart remarks and trash-talking from players like the savy veteran Travis McKissack are part of the reason. And finally the low blows from cheap-shot artists like Coach Cox who hit him below the belt when he reaches for a steal are reasons for his anger.

But it could be worse. If it weren't for the constant motivational and inspirational talks and overwhelming support from people like Larry Rodgers and the Keltner's, he would be a lot worse than he is today. I commend them for their efforts. :)

Yez colonel, I chargedz hem like a bull. Brewa thank dat becuz he carry a badge and a 9mm I scared. I dont care if u from Compton and gotz an AK-47. If you elbow me in tha EYE BALLZ when I shoot a lay-up and den thump me below da belt on my way down I am coming at ya hard. If I had not ben restrained I wooda tore hem up. I aint got no attitude problem but most of tha people I play wit do. And Larry and tha Keltner's do help me out some, but dey make me walk home in da rain and sno sometimez 2 includin las night. I getz no love from NOBODY. :)

When will the Colonel make his return? It was reported on CoachtTV this morning that he still hasn't regained feeling in his left foot, and that was his reason for missing the games last night. He is still considered by many to be the MVP of the season. Andy told me he was going to play, but never showed. He said "I'm afraid the weather will get worse and I have to go back to the Boro." We are talking maybe Wed night for the next game.

[Edited by Knight on 2-4-03 9:58A]

The league came down hard on ODB this morning handing him a 2 game suspension and threatened to banish him from the league if he ever again reacts the way he did last night. Commissioner Howard Spears had this comment: "His actions were uncalled for. Both players made a mistake, but ODB went to far, and he must pay for it. There is no room for attitudes like that in my league." The league is currently reviewing tapes of the foul and have said R.B. may also face some discipline action.