Lake County football

doggy

Predator,

That's exactly what I'm saying. He's got a lot bigger talent pool to draw from at Dyer County, a brand new high school, a brand new stadium, and 2-8 is the best he can do? What's to make anyone think he can some to Lake County, a school with an enrollment under 250 and virtually no extra amenities, and improve on 0-10?

NWhoopaholic--I didn't expect you to name any of the "dark horses" on the message board. I was just wondering if there was someone that I hadn't heard about. I already knew about Gallagher and a few others. I don't have the "insider info" like I did a couple years ago, you know.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know a lot about what happened with Coach Garner in Dyer Co., other than the fact that he has really struggled in the last few years. But, I played under Coach Garner my freshman year at Crockett County when he was the offensive coordinator there. I just want to say that I have nothing but the utmost respect for Coach Garner and would not think twice about hiring him to take over a struggling football program.

If you recall Crockett County was REALLY struggling, and while P.A. and Andy Brady are usually mentioned when talking about the Crockett County turn-around...Lynn Garner's name is often left out. He put in the double wing offense that Crockett County has developed wonderfully over the years. He got our offense rolling which, in my humble opinion, was the biggest factor in Crockett County's success in the late 90's, and one reason for their continued success today. Coach Garner left after the '97 season to take the head coaching job at Dyer County and, from what I remember, did well his first couple of years. But, as I said before I do not know much about Dyer County football in the recent years OR the situation there with Coach Garner. I just simply want to state that Lynn Garner is a very good football coach with a great offensive mind. And in my opinion, an explosive offense is the first step in rebuilding a program, as it seems that defense is much tougher to perfect and excel at.

Good luck to ya Coach in whatever your future brings. And good luck to Lake County Football on finding the right man for the job, whoever he (or she?) may be.

-just thought I would be politically correct..

Doggy-

You're right, that's exactly what they need. I've been saying that ever since I played. I hope the search committee realizes this. They have a good committee--I personally know everyone on it and they all seem to know what's best for the program. Step one is to hire a coach that can get the job done. We're not expecting instant results, but I think everyone expects at least a home playoff game or two some time in the next 2-3 years.

And I hope the new coach knows that the first order of business when he takes over is to get a fieldhouse built.

FormerCav-

I played for PA at Obion Co from 92-94 when he left for Crockett Co. PA is the one who ran the doublewing. We didnt have the personnel at OC to take advantage of it, and Larry Shanks was hired and put in the Power I. PA was offensive coordinator for Shanks. Whan PA left for Crockett Co, he took the double wing with him and implemented it there. We played them my senior year (PA's fist one down there) and they ran the double wing. It took a couple of years to get the players used to the system, but you can see how well it can be by the success they've had over the past couple of seasons. I do agree with you, however, that Garner was a key player in Crockett's turnaround.

[Edited by PowerSet on 2-7-03 8:58A]

let me make a correction in this here board. as long as rod sturdivant is coach at bruceton you will not have to worry about who is gonna take a back seat. bruceton will always be a football powerhouse as it is today. there are a few more members of the willis family coming along that will have a say so in this also. everyone remembers patrick willis who was the first player in tenn. football history to be named a finalist for mr football as both a back and a lineman. patricks little bro, orey willis, will be the running back next year and they say he is quicker than patrick. just a reminder, bruceton football will always rule in 8-1A as long as rod is coach!

Doggy-

I played from 1998-2000. I graduated in 2001. So I've been around for the rotten years. Our last winning season was 1996 (region champs, lost in 3rd round at St. Benedict 21-6), the year before I got to high school (I did not play my freshman year). My senior year we lost close games to Crockett County (13-0 and they were one of the best teams in West TN, all classes), Obion Central (37-34 on a blocked punt returned for a TD with less than 1:00 to play), and South Fulton (8-6 and we had about 7 turnovers). Turn two of those into wins and we are region champs and have a winning record. As it was we dressed 14 players for a first-round playoff game at Bruceton for my last-ever high school game after roughly half the team quit following the Week 10 loss to West Carroll. I thought that was the low point in LC football history, but 2002 proved me wrong.

Since I am not currently in Lake County (I am a student at UTK), I don't get the chance to talk to a lot of people. But I believe the committee will make the right choice, whoever it may be.