DI v. DII - Champion Challenge

pantheon

Bradley v. McCallie!

Here is a neat idea I heard about. What do you guys think?

The plan would be to hold it in the same gym as the state, sponsored by TSSAA (not approved yet) and the Chattanooga Takedown Club with all proceeds going to TSSAA (a cut determined by Ronnie) and the rest to Mocs wrestling.˜˜The refs would be free and the support would be provided by the Takedown Club.

The match would be advertised as a Dual wrestled straight up (DI vs DII Champion Challenge), no weigh-ins, the wrestlers enter as they did in the State.

The idea, I believe, was proposed by the Chattanooga Takedown Club for a fund raiser for TSSAA and Mocs Wrestling, and, I believe, McCallie's coaches have already agreed to wrestle (Bill Cherry's approval??-not sure) if Ronnie Carter gives the approval to extend the season and not penalize the underclassmen for next season.˜˜Mr. Carter's approval also should cover the issue of insurance and use of the gym on Sunday.

Also, who do you folks think would win.˜˜Match-ups below, with state rankings:

103 - White #3 vs. Tinsley #2

112 - Roberts #4 vs. Morris NR

119 - Cleveland #2 vs. Cordell #1

125 - Silberman #1 vs. Fuller NR

130 - Smith #2 vs. West #2

135 - Manley #1 vs. Baker #2

140 - Blair #1 vs. Creagan #1

145 - Scott #1 vs. Spain NR

152 - Connell #2 vs. Catlett #1

160 - Levitt #4 vs. Gibson #1

171 - Hobbs NR vs. Blackmon #5

189 - Rudolph #3 vs. Cooper #1

215 - Martin NR vs. Bailey NR

275 - Green NR vs. Grady NR

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be willing to bet that TSSAA would love to have a cut of the gate this type of event would bring in, as would Terry Brands. I suppose McCallie and Bradley would get nothing (money) from the event. Bradley wrestling supporters are members and support Chattanooga area and UTC wrestling and would love to see this match. Most of McCallie's coaches and a large number of parents are members of the Chattanooga Takedown Club and readily support Terry and Heath as well as other local wrestling events and organizations. Also, If you consider yourself the best, this is the best venue to prove it and do something great to support a common cause. Bradley and McCallie are the best as proven by their Dual Championship wins. I think there is an inherent resposibilty if your on top to do everything you can to use this to provide for others. I bet McCallie Coaching would support this cause as evidenced by their position that they would wrestle anyone-anytime. Will Bradley Coaching support it?? What would be the reason for Bradley not supporting it??? What do they have to lose??? Do they not think they would win??? How could someone not support this cause?? Please Bradley and McCallie- help make this happen.

Too nice of an idea to actually work, I'm afraid.

How about a post-season one day invitational under the USAW or AAU banner, which would take the TSSAA out of the equation? Simply invite the place-winners from DI & DII and let the kids settle the debate once and for all. No kid would be forced to attend but I bet most would. You get more schools involved which would boost the attendance.

Pantheon - I'll pay $100 for a front row seat. How bout it deaddux, Sly, and the rest? Who will put their money where their mouth is in support of UTC wrestling? TSSAA takes 15% of sanctioned tournaments in return for providing award metals for 1st to 4th. Seems like 33% is too much for them with no metals involved. Heck, Allan Jones just might agree to pay for Bradley's Virginia trip next year if they'll agree.