DI v. DII - Champion Challenge

pantheon

Bayou - Why would I care, more less be horrified? I am surprised that there are people that would waste their time and film though. Do you also film random joggers or hang out at the public tennis courts in hopes of some good video? If you will agree to donate the proceeds to the Chattanooga Takedown Club, you have my approval to sell it to anyone who would have an interest although I can't imagine who that would be.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From wtwrestler

"I would think the bradley coach or the mccallie coach would jump at the chance to be the undisputed state champ this year."

I don't think that you're listening. While McCallie might "jump" at the chance, Bradley has had ample opportunity to schedule dual meets with any DII teams out there. And, as we all know, declined.

[Edited by KingLuke on 2-7-03 7:42A]

Walkenvol,

I was not the camera operator nor was I at the event, but I did watch the tape. I mentioned the video only as a means of sarcastic humor. You have dished out your fair share. If you are offended, I apologize.

It seems that someone on Team Blue brings up this Bradley-McCallie issue once a month and mostly that someone is you. It is old news. It˜s not going to happen. I am shocked it took so long (5 days) since the State Duals for you or someone to bring it up.

You and your comrades ask, ˜Where is the slander?˜ Try and follow. I will explain.

Several months ago you posted on this board that you would talk to Coach Connell about a match between the two schools. In consideration to the Financial Aid question raised by Bradley, your proposal was to only wrestle McCallie˜s Non-aid wrestlers against Bradley˜s full squad. While your offer may have been sincere, the Bradley Nation as well as the general public˜s interpretation was, ˜McCallie will wrestle Bradley with one hand tied behind their backs.˜

Now with the aid and comfort of several Division II supporters, you come back to the podium and announced to the world that McCallie will wrestle Bradley in a format where both Bradley and UTC stand to gain financially. Then to top it off, you or someone makes comments that suggest refusal to do so is equivalent to refusing to help UTC. Again, from your standpoint it may seem like a reasonable offer but to the Bradley Nation it is a glaring insult to the position we have taken.

I am sure there is something you have taken a strong position for or against. What if I offered to pay you to go against your position and I also offered to donate money on your behalf to the charity of your choice? What if I were to ridicule you in public with accusations of you of turning your back on charity if you chose to stand on your principles? Is this not an insult to you personally and to what you believe is right? Is it not outright contempt for your opinion? Would you not be irritated?

Now, a few questions I would like answered. Why can˜t you let this go? Why, even after countless explanations do you continue to browbeat the issue? Is it a veiled attempt to belittle Bradley? Many believe it is. It has also been said it is an attempt to make it seem that Bradley is afraid to wrestle or afraid to lose to the DII schools. Is that true? Is that your goal? Do you believe that criticism of Bradley Wrestling will somehow aggrandize the McCallie program and possibly the rest of the DII schools?

Lastly˜I have great respect for McCallie. I am acquainted with many McCallie parents and fans and consider a few to be friends. McCallie has great coaches and unmatched facilities. McCallie has produced many great wrestlers and the quality of young men it graduates is second to none. BUT, you my friend are doing nothing to further the good reputation of McCallie by waging this incessant battle against Steve Logsdon and Bradley Central High School under the guise of, ˜For the good of wrestling.˜

Walkenvol, it is time to let this issue drop. All but you and a few of your DII compadres are tired of it. If you are looking for victory or submission, then let me submit. McCallie is better than Bradley. McCallie would win a match 84-0. McCallie˜s JV would win 84-0. The Bears were lucky to win a State Championship. Any wrestler that wears a blue singlet is great. All Bradley State Champions have been lucky. Every Bradley wrestler that ever attended college on scholarship is secretly funded by the Bradley Wrestling Club and did not really receive a wrestling scholarship. Every wrestling coach whoever coached at McCallie forgot more about wrestling than a Bradley coach ever knew. Coach Logsdon is completely overrated despite 10 State Championships and more state champions than I can remember. Bradley is afraid to wrestle any DII school and especially McCallie. McCallie˜s facilities are better. McCallie has better fans and parents. McCallie has better and cleaner mats, etc, etc, etc.

There˜is that good enough? We can only hope.

BayouBear

BayouBear,

That was a pretty pathetic post. McCallie hungers for the best competition, and Bradley enjoys its trophies. Of course Bradley would like to be left alone, and probably to pretend they are the undisputed champions as well.

Tough.

Also, I'd never heard of the proposed match re: McCallie non-FA wrestlers competing against Bradley's whole team, but that sounds a bit absurd to me-- punishing certain McCallie wrestlers because they cannot afford to pay the high McCallie tuition. Even so, just to be fair, how about the McCallie non-aid wrestlers wrestle the a team composed of only those Bradley wrestlers who came through a Bradley feeder program and did not enter/transfer/were not recruited to come to BCHS only after they were successful junior high wrestlers? That sounds like more of a sporting contest-- and certainly would do a more equitable job of eliminating Bradley's said concern of recruiting.

It makes me sick that so many Division I people (not only Bradley, mind) would rather be one of many champions than risk not being the only true Champion.

BayouBear, forgive me for asking for I know, from reading posts by sly and walkenvol and others, that it is a touchy subject. What's the deal? Not being from Chattanooga, having wrestled pre-split, and only getting back into the sport the last couple of years, I'm sort of in the dark. I know McCallie got hit with sanctions a few years ago for recruiting. Did that start all this? I know Gabriel at Overton wouldn't wrestle MBA or Ryan for a few years, but I think that was because he thought that the matches were getting out of hand from a fan view. Was that the reason there too? There just seems to be alot of bad blood between fans of Bradley and McCallie and I don't think the coaches hate each other. I know it's not because Bradley is scared. I've followed their team since I've been back and they are studs. Is it a principle thing? Is it McCallie mainly or private schools in general? Does all of Chattanooga hate each other? Is it mutual between McCallie and Bradley? How does Bradley feel about Ryan and MBA? Maybe the reasons are private and no one knows?

Man, I've hit you with alot. You may not be the one or feel comfortable answering me here. That's OK and I could give you my private email if you want. I don't know Coach Logsdon or Connell or I'd call them. No one in Middle TN that I know is really "plugged in" to the sport. And why do I care? Chattanooga is the epicenter of wrestling in TN and I am a wrestler and wrestling is my sport.

Sorry, but I really like TN wrestling and I think we are going places. I'm not even sure if what's going on is bad for the sport or not. Our grads seem to be getting noticed and are doing well at the next level. I'd just like to know what happened.

Please understand that while I don't know Logsdon or Connell, both must be doing something right and I respect and admire both coaches and programs. TN is lucky to have them and I wish them both the best of luck at state.

hipyou. His royal highness Coach Logsden of the BRADLEY NATION has decreed that he won't schedule private schools. PERIOD. The reason is just because and don't ask because no one deserves the answer because it's HIS team and no one elses. If you persist in asking, taunting, or otherwise bothering members of the BRADLEY NATION, they'll get really angry and tell you that you're being mean to ask and that they don't owe anyone an explanation.

[Edited by countrypk on 2-7-03 10:53P]

mr hanson,

i almost didn't respond to your angry post, but i think i can speak for a lot of wrestling fans and families who are neither connected to the blue or the black: most of us would LOVE to see the best 2 teams in TN wrestle.

this does not have to come to personal insults or assaults. we can have differences of opinions and have fun expressing them.

i think the best thing that was said this year about the mccallie-bradley situation was stated by a mccallie wrestler (lee c) and responded to sincerely by the bradley coach. i'm hoping that that will prove to be the first step toward a good conclusion - whatever that conclusion will be.

tim jeffers 5' 10' (but i'm not about to admit my weight)

i'd be happy to meet you at the round house next week and say 'hey.' look me up in the orange section. :)

[Edited by timj on 2-7-03 11:49P]

Dear Mr. Hanson (and with your size and belligerence I would only address you as Mr.!),

Just some friendly advice - Have you considered dropping some LBS? With your obvious anger and weight problem, you're not long for this message board. You know Chris Taylor weighed over 400 and didn't make it too far past 30. You might want to ask the folks at McKenzie to have a winch truck on standby in case you have some problems.

Wondering why Bradley won't schedule McCallie, I am your friend in Nashville,

Take

P.S. I bet I could take you in the 100 meters!

[Edited by takedown3 on 2-8-03 9:41A]

Remember, I dont care one way or the other, I'd love to watch the match. But last year, we (CBHS) wrestled Bradley in a dual at the Cleveland invitational. We are DII and they had no problem wrestling us. It's very obvious that CBHS doesnt recruit or anything like that, but I wouldnt limit it too DII since Bradley wrestled us. Maybe just be a Chattanooga thing, im still trying to figure these people out...weird.

Hanson,

Please keep posting with all bark and no bite-- or sense.

In your last post, you do a good job of

1. Name-calling (I mentioned noone by name, mind), and

2. insulting high school underclassmen athletes.

Two further points:

1. Don't worry-- I'm not mistaking Bradley for top 25 material. McCallie is the only team in the state to ever hold that honor as they were ranked as high as 6th in the early 90s. BUT BCHS has been the most consistently strong program in the state for the past few years (since the TSSAA administered the "death penalty" to McCallie), and it would be nice for them to lay it on the line.

2. Notably, you chose not to respond to the issue of Bradley wrestlers transferring/being recruited from feeder schools other than Bradley's.

Please, please, keep up your posting. You make the task of arguing for your idiocy and immaturity completely unneccessary.

[Edited by Empro on 2-8-03 3:56P]

[Edited by Empro on 2-8-03 3:57P]