DI v. DII - Champion Challenge

pantheon

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me preface my remarks by saying I am not a McCallie guy. However, I have to ask-has anyone left Logsden program to go wrestle at McCallie? Or is it the possibilty of it that has made Logsden declare he will not wrestle them? I am not picking sides-just wondering. I do think it time that the McCallie folks drop it-he has decided and it ain't gonna happen. Both sides are doing nothing but making themselves look foolish (and angry) by beating this dead horse.

There was not all this arguing the last 2 years when Baylor won the D11 title was there? I do not remember the Baylor folks being so argumentative about it but maybe I just didn't pay any attention to it.

[Edited by AGGSL on 2-9-03 7:23P]

Why does everyone hate bradley? They win their division and that is all they have to do. they don't need to wrestle any of the private schools if they don't want to. I don't go to Bradley but i don't have a problem with them because they don't wrestle d2 schools. By the way bradley would dominate mccallie. no offense

Hmm....well, i think mr. Hanson is off singing Hmmm bop, so we're all safe for the moment. If he ever does get you on the mat, keep circling him till he's out of breath and passes out. Who hates Bradley? I doubt that many people on here hate Bradley. Now, its very apparent that I am no McCallie fan, I make fun of them every chance I get. Bradley fans...parents...wrestlers...Blackmon's cousins, dont get so angry cause we would like to see yall wrestle a team. Yall have nothing to prove, it is very obvious who is the most dominate team in the last couple of years. If you want praise, we will give it. People were offering a 100 dollars for a ticket to the match, im sure they wouldnt mind praising Bradley. Dont get on here and be so defensive. This is an OPINION board, look up opinion in a dictionary if you need to, people are speculating what the match would be like. It's not just people from McCallie that want to see this match, ITS EVERYONE EXCEPT BRADLEY. I know that many guys from Memphis would like to see that match. Nashville wants to see that match. I swear, everytime a post like this is up, it reminds me of a script from pro wrestling. All the contraversy leading up to a pay-per-view or something. We need Jerry "the king" Lawler to come straight from MEMPHIS to commentate on the match. Any minute coach Logdon is going to power bomb walkenvol off the top rope....just kidding. Back to the subject, we're just speculating, dont be so defensive. I think Bradley would win, and im a DII supporter. Just being honest.

[Edited by thegatling on 2-10-03 12:11A]

The issue is not a one-time fundraiser dual meet. the issue, in my opinion, is initiating a rivalry that has so much energy behind it that the whole state will benefit. This would be a high-profile dual meet. Or make it a quad with someone's picks for the top four teams in the area or state, regardless of division. (Or 2 from each. In recent years, that would have been a good divider.) similar to the NWCA HS duals. Do or do not include the TSSAA-- if they object, tough, no rules violations in scheduling, and if they're smart (highly unlikely, except if they realize that marketedcorrectly, they could make some $) let them help promote it.

[Edited by Empro on 2-10-03 12:09A]

Regardless of whether they wrestle, the fun is in the discussion. Who would win? I'll start it off.

103 White #3 vs. Tinsley #2 - Tinsley d (3)

112 Roberts #4 vs. Morris UR - Roberts pin (6)

119 Cleveland #2 vs. Cordell #1 - Cleveland d (3)

125 Silberman #1 vs. Fuller UR - Silberman tf (5)

130 Smith #2 vs. West #2 - Smith d (3)

135 Manley #1 vs. Baker #2 - Manley md (4)

140 Blair #1 vs. Creagan #1 - Blair d (3)

145 Scott #1 vs. Spain UR - Scott pin (6)

152 Connell #2 vs. Catlett #1 - Catlett d (3)

160 Levitt #4 vs. Gibson #1 - Gibson pin (6)

171 Lobbs UR vs. Blackmon #5 - Blackman tf (5)

189 Rudolph #3 vs. Cooper #1 - Cooper d (3)

215 Martin UR vs. Bailey UR - Bailey d (3)

275 Green UR vs. Grady UR - Grady d (3)

McCallie 30 - Bradley 26

Just speculating, what do the rest of you think?

What a match it would be !!!

This has turned into an interesting thread. While I appreciate the thought Mr. Hanson, I believe we (Bradley) can handle our own debates. The wrestler in question is a fine young man and his dad (Walkenvol) is liked, not only by me, but by many of the Bradley fans. He has done much for youth wrestling and Chattanooga wrestling in general and we respect him for those efforts.

What we have is a difference of opinion. It is NOT personal. My original post was out of frustration more than anything else. This issue has been debated to the point of boredom.

Gatling makes a good point. Bradley has not refused to wrestle the DII schools. It has only chosen not to schedule them for a regular season match and I do not expect that to ever change regardless who the coach is at Bradley.

Everyone should remember that since the split, Bradley has wrestled Notre Dame, McCallie, Baylor and Christian Brothers and it is interesting to note that it is known to ALL schools that Bradley wrestles in the Cleveland Duals EVERY year. I am sure Coach Miller would welcome any of the TOP DII schools.

We are wrestling fans just like you are. We fully understand how much interest there would be in a Bradley ˜ McCallie match˜˜.THIS YEAR or the FIRST TIME. After the first time it would be just another good match. There would be no difference in a BC/MCC match and a Soddy-McCallie match. I did not attend the Soddy-McCallie match but I did not read in the paper that there were attendance records set or that money was donated to UTC.

Consider this... What if Bradley and McCallie would have wrestled earlier in the year with Bradley winning? And what if Father Ryan would have beaten McCallie in the State Finals? I can safely say the FR fans would have been saying the same things you are saying. Why doesn˜t Bradley wrestle Father Ryan? Are they scared? And what if MBA had beaten Ryan in the season? Would the MBA fans want a piece of Bradley too?

Where would it end?

This is not a Bradley Vs DII issue. The question of, ˜Why doesn˜t Bradley wrestle McCallie?˜ has only been asked since McCallie˜s team was good enough to challenge Bradley. Bradley didn˜t call McCallie up 3 or 4 years ago and beat the snot out of them when they were down. This issue is ONLY brought up by a FEW DII fans who want to try and prove the DII schools are better than the best DI schools. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE was raising cane about a McCallie-Bradley match after Bradley lost to Soddy last year.

No my friends, this is not a Bradley Vs DII issue. This is a DI VS DII issue. Bradley is bearing the brunt of this because they are currently at the top of Division I. If Bradley wasn˜t winning, no one would care. It˜s not about competition. There are teams a lot tougher than Bradley out there.

Empro ˜ Something to ponder. Wasn˜t McCallie˜s nationally ranked team one of the root causes of our debate today?

FYI, BayouBear

Last year Al Miller graciously invited Baylor to compete in the Cleveland Duals. Baylor scheduled the event.

Upon hearing this news, Bradley informed Coach Miller that they would NOT be attending if Baylor was there.

An embarrassed Coach Miller had to inform Baylor that they could not compete in the Cleveland Duals, as the sucess of the duals in the city of Cleveland was somewhat dependent on Bradley being there.

Bayou Bear,

I agree that to a large extent this is a DI vs DII issue and that Bradley, as the top dog, takes the brunt of the heat. But you exaggerate Bradley's willingness to wrestle DII schools-- they kicked Baylor out of their tournament and backed out of the ??? tournament when they heard DII schools would be there (memory fails me. It was 2 seasons ago. Anyone?). I invited them to a tournament I ran, which wascertainly the most unique and one og the most competitive tournaments ever held in the state, and they were very interested when they heard about the out of state teams but said "Sorry" as soon as they heard DII schools would be there. Simple reason given: "We don't wrestle DII schools."

More important, this is the third time I have asked for a tally of how many wrestlers at BCHS transferred/were recruited into the program from feeder schools other than Bradley's, and each pro-Bradley poster has completely ignored this most crucial question. (Actually I am pro-Bradley, have no inside scoop there, though, and just vehemently disagree on this issue.) If the reason they don't compete is "recruiting," then let'sget their own recruiting on the table. MAYBE I'm mistaken, but I'd sure appreciate the facts.

Luke and Empro, Yes Baylor did compete in the Bradley tourney up until two years ago and I am not sure about the Cleveland Duals issue you mentioned but the reason Bradley's relationship went south with Baylor was because Brad Lane(Bradley Co.) was recruited to Baylor. At least thats the way Bradley folks sees things. Coach Logsdon talked to Coach Morgan about it and things are the way they are. The issue they had with McCallie was due to McCallie's own admissions to breaking TSSAA rules. I will again note that two years ago McCallie did enter the Cleveland Duals because Al Miller was having a hard time getting 8 teams and Bradley did wrestle McCallie so Cleveland could hold their duals. They wrestled CBHS at the Cleveland Duals and Notre Dame is and has been wrestling in the Bradley Invitational for the past several years. What is comes down to is, it hasn't been a total boycott of DII schools just the ones who have broken the rules. The bottom line is McCallie and now Baylor will not be scheduled by Bradley. So if you don't like that reasoning you'll just have to get over it. Bradley's not going to let you make their schedule out anymore than McCallie or Baylor will.

What About Bradley?

Why do all the Bradley posters ignore this issue?

For the FOURTH time in this thread:

I have asked for a tally of how many wrestlers at BCHS transferred/were recruited into the program from feeder schools other than Bradley's, and each pro-Bradley poster has completely ignored this most crucial question. (Actually I am pro-Bradley, have no inside scoop there, though, and just vehemently disagree on this issue.) If the reason they don't compete is "recruiting," then let'sget their own recruiting on the table. MAYBE I'm mistaken, but I'd sure appreciate the facts.