District Tournament Format

gottaloveit

Just a thought about formating for district tournaments?

Some districts have expanded to the seven team format. Why not force a play-in game for the 6/7 seeds and allow the top two seeds byes to the second round?

I have to say I am torn with this proposition. I love the possibilities of an underdog defeating the favorite in the early rounds. You have to show up to play everynight in basketball. Many times though the 6 and 7 seeds games are laughers anyway. Why not create some excitement for these teams and possibly momentum with a play-in game? You can also look at from the perspective that they have not accomplished the things throughout the long grueling season that the others in the district have. Do you as a district want your 2/3 seeds being upset in the first round of the district tournament when they have proven over the long haul of a season that they are the better team, but rather just slip up on a given night. The excitement over finish second as opposed to third would create an even tighter race in many districts. Some only look at it in terms of staying away from the 1 seeds bracket ( difference between 3/4 seed).

I truly do not have a grasp of the right answer for this one. I have to say it intrigues me to think of the importance of every seed and not just who gets first and who stays away from the one seed.

What do you think?

District three and four AAA have had the top two seeds with a bye for many years. You're right, it does make the regular season mean much more. One other idea that some districts do is to have the top seeds play their first round games at home which is also a good idea. I like the top seeds with byes better as it gives them a birth in the region as well. I think that each district or region could make more money by playing at home sites in early rounds as opposed to playing at tournament sites many miles away. The home teams can also make extra money in concessions as well.