Wish list - coaches proposals

walkenvol

As I understand the process (keep me straight here delaWarr), changes to the TSSAA wrestling rules begin via proposals presented at the coaches meeting during the state tourney. If this is the case, what would you like to see proposed? As for me, I would like to see a D1 small school division at the state duals. I've found this to be an extremely exciting event that seems to be occupied by the same schools each year. A small school division might open it up more.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Walkenvol, I like that proposal too. It would only create more interest and it might be the shot in the arm for some small schools to work harder to have a full line-up and less forfeits. It will also allow more teams the opportunity to compete for a championship.

Walkenvol, Cleveland was in the small school division when it exsisted but according to TSSAA numbers they have 1,167 now and are growing. Those numbers along with Chattanooga Central which has 1,128 seems a bit high to be considered small school but I think the TSSAA would probably take the total number of DI wrestling teams and divide them in half to come up with two divisions. TSSAA numbers for Hixon is 990 and East Ridge is listed at 961. I think the question will be where the cut off is but this is still good idea that needs to be looked into.

What it would probablly do is push Sodd-Daisy, Red bank, Cleveland and Bradley into one large-school district / region, with maybee Ooltewah being the only other Hamilton County school with high enough enrollment for the "Large School" classification. I don't think that's fair for any of those schools. I do like the idea of another class to give the smaller schools something to compete for though.

Now we wan't 3 state championship teams. Come on now, I don't like the idea and I went to a smaller school. I would much rather go wrestle a Bradley or a Cleveland and have the opportunity to beat the best than wrestle a small school just because people think that we wouldn't have a chance. I don't agree with the whole less kids, less people to play a paticular sport thing anyways. If you are at say an inner-city school with a ton of people you get stuck with the big boys, while in reality you might only have 4 kids on your team. If anything it should be how many people actually participate and that would create a ton of problems.

Guest cornpop

I would not have a problem with a large school and small school dual State Champion. I do have a problem with an Indivdual and Dual State Champion. Leave the team State Championships to the duals, score no team points in the individulas and have 14 different State Champions

Guest cornpop

I would not have a problem with a large school and small school dual State Champion. I do have a problem with an Indivdual and Dual State Champion. Leave the team State Championships to the duals, score no team points in the individulas and have 14 different State Champions