TMSAA East Tennessee Small School State

TheAnswer9

This tournament looks to be action packed with some very good teams getting ready to hit the hardwood. Area 2 #3 Fairview and Area 4 #3 Lenoir City are poised to get the action started tonight in a "get-in" of sorts. Depending on which Fairview team shows up to play tonight depends on who wins this contest. If the Fairview team that took Huntsville right down to the wire twice, played Sunbright a good game, and beat Norwood and Oneida shows up, I'll take Fairview. However, if the Fairview team that played Huntsville the 3rd time or OS shows up, I'll take LC.

My prediction....well....I think the good Fairview team is going to show up tonight. Fairview over LC by 5pts

And...I'll be back later for more on the Huntsville/Rockwood and Cantons Chapel vs Fairview/LC winner games to be played on Friday night.

[Edited by TheAnswer9 on 2-13-03 12:10P]

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry HOOPS, I knew that--was looking at the info. Sometimes I type too fast to think. I edited the post. I meant beat Oneida and Norwood--sorry!!

The tournament is being played at Caton's Chapel school just outside of Pigeon Forge. The school is about 3-5 miles past Dollywood. To me it looks like the best way to get there is to by-pass Sevierville, well..sort of. As you come into Sevierville, hang a left onto Dolly Parton Parkway instead of turning right onto Chapman highway. Travel approx. 4 miles to Highway 416. Go about 6 miles to Bryd's Creek Road. Off of Byrd's Creek road, you will turn onto Caton's Chapel Road.

Tonight's match-ups include Caton's Chapel vs Fairview and Huntsville vs Rockwood. After correctly picking Fairview last night, here goes.

I see Fairview beating the host tonight in Caton's Chapel. I don't know how close it will be, but...Fairview will use their quickness to march towards victory.

In perhaps in the best matchup of the quarterfinal round, Rockwood will face off against Huntsville. Huntsville can press, is fairly quick getting to the ball on D, and Bee can play some ball. Bee has help in the form of Sexton, Phillips, and Yancey. All 3 are capable of getting hot. The PG can drive and shoot, drive and pass low, or pass to the wing for a shot. As for Rockwood, they have beaten OS and that in itself is something.

What do I see happening. Well...Rockwood is coming off a heartwrenching loss to Alcoa while Huntsville was spanked by OS--their 1st L of the season. Which ever team bounces back the strongest tonight will win. I think it will be Rockwood by 2-3pts or so, but I have been before.

That district was just so over rated last season. From the info I get, I hear it hasn't that much better. Every report I get says a team from Region 2 or Region 4 should take it in both divisions--boys & girls.

Fairview has a solid team in that they have speed in the backcourt and a big girl in the middle. They can also shoot the ball from the wing--just ask Norwood!! They are not afraid to press and go after it. They have apparently showed up to play in 3 of their last 4 games.

I am back to give more fearless predictions, this time on the upper half of the girls bracket.

While Coach Bilyeu is worried in that you just never know what you're going to get with middle school teams, I don't forsee his Oliver Springs Lady Cat team running into any trouble during this contest. While Pittman Center may have one good player, OS has a squad full led by Jennifer Smith. In what may be the biggest mismatch of the tournament, I'll take Coach Bilyeu and his gal-to-gal D to spank Pittman center.

In the other matchup, I believe it will be too much Bledsoe from Alcoa as I foresee the Area 4 winner advances to play the Area 2 winner in the Semi's. I'm taking Alcoa by 8-10pts.

I am back to give my insight, right or wrong, as to how I see the semi-final rounds playing out on Monday evening/night. To this point, I have correctly predicted 4 of the 5 contests, hoping to make it 6 of 7, so....

In Gm 1, I see Oliver Springs stopping Alcoa's Bledsoe with their smothering gal-to-gal D in taking a 15-20pt victory. While Alcoa has Bledsoe, OS just has too many weapons in the forms of Smith, Copeland, Barger, Morgan, and Christopher.

In Gm 2, it will be Fairview and Huntsville hooking up for 4th time this season. I'm wondering if this match-up will be as close as it was in Rds 1 & 2 or as lopsided as it was in Rd 3. In RDs 1 & 2 Fairview held double-digit leads in the 2nd half only to see Huntsville rally to narrow victories. In RD 3, Huntsville just totally dominated enroute to a 20pt or so victory. This time around, I look for it to be somewhere in between with Huntsville winning by about 8-10pts or so.

So...I'm saying there will be a grudge re-match of the district championship at Norwood between OS and Huntsville in the East Tennessee final at Caton's Chapel.

I put the results up earlier, but....so here they are again!!

On Friday evening, quarter final results are as follows:

Huntsville outraced Rockwood 52-43, a high-scoring game by middle school standards.

Fairview buried a last second shot to down host Caton's Chapel by a mere point. Just seconds earlier CC had buried a triple to erase a 2pt deficit.

As for Saturday's results in the quarterfinal bracket:

OS got everyone plenty of time as they outgunned and outmanned Pittman Center by the final score of 42-19. Coach Bilyeu's starters saw limited action on this afternoon.

As for Alcoa and WearsValley, Alcoa rallied from a 10-8 halftime deficit to win the contest by the final score of 34-20. I hear Bledsoe heated up for Alcoa in the 2nd half.