Junior High Post Season

kazam37

Are there any teams out there who have been victimized by the system that is in place concerning how teams are seeded in the playoffs? I am refering to initial tournament seeds, because once those are determined, everything else becomes by the process of elimination. There is definitely a team not playing right now because, right or wrong, the system did not correctly place each team, taking into account each individual teams strength of schedule. Why should a team be rewarded for intentionally playing a soft schedule? My friend coaches at Oneida Middle, and his team finished at 9-7 overall 6-4 in conference games, yet recieving a 7th seed in the tournament was inexcusable because their non-conference games were against the large class schools. Jellico was 14-3 and they played how many conference games? Were any of their wins against varsity competition? You can bet this should begin a trend of teams trying to fatten their records by playing inferior as much as possible. Oneida girls got shafted, and thats a shame, because isn't the game for the kids? Oliver Springs won the tournament and they clearly had the best team this past week. Ask them who gave them the hardest game, Oneida lost by about 11, Fairveiw (still playing) got waxed by about 34, and undefeated Huntsville got licked by 17 (O.S. held the ball for the last 3:00 of the first half with a 9 point lead). Coach N. will kill me if he finds this post, but I wanted to see how other b-ballers think. :):):D:x

O.K. What should be the solution? We can not have two of the strongest teams meeting in the first round because it cancels out the quality of your conferences teams as they advance into the tournament. Yes, we should allow for upsets, isn't that the beauty of the beast, but the odds should not be in favor of that happening in the first round! What if Oneida had upset O.S., wouldn't that have really screwed up an outstanding teams season. No way O.S. should not go to Pigeon Forge, and althogh I'm sure some will disagree, Oneida was good enough to go, too! :confused: :x:D:)

kazam i am told that next year it will be just like high school all district teams will play each other and they will seed them according to their district record not overall like this year. the reason it was so messed up was because norwood, wartburg, and oliver springs already had all their games scheduled and didnt have room to add all the other district teams. i agree that jellico should have been the 8th or 9th place team. i heard they played their varsity against other peoples b team and counted those b-team games as wins.

That will be a welcome sight when all disputes are settled on the court and not by people who's ONLY agenda is their own selfish motives. The only way one would consider drawing out of a hat is if the teams were split into upper tier and lower tier teams based on division record, strength of schedule, and coaches input to the process. Otherwise you are definitely asking for two good teams meeting early. Ask Oneida girls how that feels. :):)

In the case of Rockwood's district there is such a wide variety of teams that it is hard to play everyone. An example is Alcoa, they have to play their Blount Co. schedule which leaves little space for other games. If they were to drop those and play say Vonore, Midway, or Rockwood they would be losing a county game which makes lots of money for one that may or may not. I am all for seeding, but the teams do need to make money.

In the case of Rockwood's district there is such a wide variety of teams that it is hard to play everyone. An example is Alcoa, they have to play their Blount Co. schedule which leaves little space for other games. If they were to drop those and play say Vonore, Midway, or Rockwood they would be losing a county game which makes lots of money for one that may or may not. I am all for seeding, but the teams do need to make money.

Hey, don't lose your money games. However, don't you feel an obligation to compete within your conference to see where you stack up come tournament time. Everyone should agree to play 12 or 14 conference games and then schedule out of conference (MONEY GAMES) for he remainder of you schedule. Now everyone could schedule the tournament bracket, with very little arguement, according to how you fare in your conference games. :):):):D