Lewis County Legends: Biographies

govu

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the illustrious CoachT has put the lockdown on the other thread concerning the Bear's return to coaching, I will post the information that I have recently acquired on this thread.I just returned from Knoxville where I attended the opening rounds of the Women's NCAA tourney. The word around Knoxville is that the Bear will be soon making his glorious return back where it all began 25 years ago in Big Orange Country. Longtime Lady Vols top assistant Mickie DeMoss recently accepted the Head Coaching position for the Lady Cats at Kentucky. The outcry from the fans in East Tennessee is for Coach Summit to bring back the Bear to fill the vacancy. It is also speculated that when Coach Summit reaches 1000 wins (she's already over 800), she may retire which will then leave the spot on the end of the bench open for, well, you know who.

The Lewis County Legends took to the court Wednesday night and were in top form. The teams were divided as follows: Team I - Hubie "Brown" Smith, Jonah Keltner, Travis McKissack and the "American Dream" Bobby Young. Team II - Newly elected Legend "Leaping" Lantz Dabbs, Lil' Jerry Brown, Dennis "the Menace" Hennessy (yes, THE Dennis Hennessy), David "Big Game" James, and local country music legend Rob Inman.

Six total games were played with Team I going undefeated on the night. There were several close games but in the end the Legends pulled them all out. The team chemistry and will to win of the Legends were too much for the younger squad. ODB was under control for most of the night and didn't get any technicals called against him. Once he did push Hubie to the floor after he scored on him but no technical was called after ODB helped him up.

More action next Wednesday at 6:00 in Spears Memorial Gymnasium.

Thanks ODB for reminding me of a very important event that took place Wednesday that I forgot to mention. Before the Legends took the floor, world renown recording artist Rob Inman requested to sing the National Anthem to honor the soldiers fighting for our country in Iraq. Legends President Howard "The Bear" Spears was more than obliged to grant his request. What took place was music and patriotism at its best.

Emotions were extremely high as he took to the court to sing. His stirring rendition of the song afterward brought loud roars of cheers and many at of the Legends were moved to tears. He brilliantly displayed how the Star Spangled Banner can and should be sung.

Several of the Legends commented on the heartwrenching performance. Hubie Brown Smith said, "The emotion was there, when Rob sung that song, all but the most stone-hearted person felt pangs of patriotism". "Leaping" Lantz Dabbs stated, "As he finished the last note, goosebumps covered my body". Lil' Jerry Brown said, "Neva befo have I felt mo like an American".

Rob has been invited to perform again this Wednesday, at 6:00 CST.

• 6 months later...