*L3 MUS 73

S6 Catholic 31

*L4 CBHS 68

S5 FACS 27

S3 SBEC 35

*L6 St. Benedict 48

*L2 Harding 75

S7 Elliston 32

L1 ECS, S1 Lausanne, and S2 Bishop Byrne got 1st round byes.

Quarter-Finals:

*ECS 43

Briarcrest 37

*MUS 53

Bishop Byrne 41

*Lausanne 80

CBHS 71

St. Benedict 35

*Harding 68

Semi-Finals:

ECS 70

*MUS 75 --- OT

Lausanne 65

*Harding 77

Third Place:

ECS 61

*Lausanne 70

Championship:

MUS 56

*Harding 73

Sending 1 Harding, 2 MUS, and 3 Lausanne to Sectionals.

[Edited by mhalionboy03 on 2-21-03 3:57P]

To close out the first round action today, the Harding Lions defeated Elliston Baptist 79-25. Trey Williams and Adam Rodriguez started the Lions off with a 10-0 run and ended the first quarter up 19-2. Every Lion dressed out saw action tonight, especially those at the end of the bench. Freshmen Tacuma Alexander and Mariun Price both turned in very nice performances in the second half.

St. Benedict beat the SBEC Trojans - don't know the score yet - to advance to face the Lions on Tuesday night at 7:00 at MUS. This sets up a very interesting rematch. St. Benedict finished last in the Large District and Harding finished second. The Lions won the first contest between the two, and then played miserably in the second game, giving St. Benedict the victory on Homecoming/Sr. Night and costing the Lions the district championship. Harding definately has something to show on Tuesday. The loser will be eliminated from the post-season, while the winner will be guarenteed two more game, needing to win one to advance to sectionals. The Lions were eliminated last year in the quarter-finals in a double-overtime upset at the hands of ECS.

GO LIONS!!!

Any other results?

[Edited by mhalionboy03 on 2-22-03 10:37P]

Here are scores from Saturday's first round and games for Tuesday:

Tipton-Rosemark Academy 19

*Briarcrest Christian School 56

*Memphis University School 65

Memphis Catholic School 23

*Christian Brothers High School 82

First Assembly Christian School 33

Southern Baptist Educational Center 34

*St. Benedict at Auburndale 60

*Harding Academy 79

Elliston Baptist Academy 25

Tuesday - Quarter-finals @ MUS

3:00

ECS vs. Briarcrest

4:30

MUS vs. Bishop Byrne

6:00

Lausanne vs. CBHS

7:30

St. Benedict vs. Harding

GO LIONS!!!

Yes... Harding didn't lose that game lasy year. Birds don't fly. And the world is flat... I think you meant to say that Harding SHOULDN'T have lost that game last year, and I agree with you on that. Harding SHOULD have won the region and been a contender at state. But they lost, clear as molasses. Harding had talent last year, but they played bad in the ECS game... they lost. I know Coach Froedden considers it a loss. He doesn't blame the refs or anybody but himself and the team. He would hate to hear people laying blame a YEAR after the fact. Once again, Harding has talent this year, enough to actually win state. Focus on the future and cheer your team on. Don't worry about the unchangeable.

[Edited by CoachtFAN on 3-1-03 8:37P]

[Edited by CoachtFAN on 3-2-03 12:07A]

[Edited by CoachtFAN on 3-2-03 8:08P]

First off, FYI, the boys games tomorrow in the D2 West Region Tourney at MUS would be cancelled for snow IF the Memphis City School district cancels school tomorrow.

Second, good picks. I think that the Briarcrest over ECS pick could be a smart move. Personally, I think it's a toss up. Although Briarcrest has struggled this year, ECS is not very dominant and is susceptible to losing, especially to heated rival Briarcrest. MUS beat Bishop Byrne last Friday, and I think they'll do it again, but I wouldn't bet too much on it. Should be another great game. As for the CBHS/Lausanne game, it would seem like Lausanne would be the easy pick. They certainly have better players in Marc Gasol, Carlos Taylor, and Jonnie West. But CBHS plays better team ball, Justin Mosby, Chris Nicosia, and Chris Haag aren't bad, and CBHS is better coached. A CBHS would surprise me, but it wouldn't be shocking. I don't think that Harding will have any problem with St. Benedict, but I didn't think they would last week either, when the Eagles pulled the upset. I don't think that the Lions will let it happen again. I think Harding will get 1st and Lausanne will get 2nd, but I'm really not sure about the top half of the bracket.

GO LIONS!!!