Dist 4AAA Impact Player

GovMan

OK, I've had the chance to watch all of the girls teams play in District 4 AAA both during the season and during the tournament.

There are some great players. Broyhill, Uner, and Wilhoit from Sevier County. Lange, Dalton, Munday from Farragut. Buley from South Doyle. I take nothing away from these players.

But, I'm telling you people, if I had to pick one player from this district who I think can make the biggest impact on a game, I don't even have to think about it ... it's freshman Cait McMahan from Heritage.

For those who would say, "Oh, I don't know, I think I'd still take one of those other girls over the freshman" ... well, that's ok ... everybody has opionions and judges impact in different ways. For those who say, she's just a freshman and isn't on those players levels yet ... YOU'VE NEVER WATCHED HER PLAY.

GovMan

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't agree more! She is really unbelievable to watch and has the heart the size of the gym she is playing in. The thing you have to ask yourself is, if you take Broyhill from Sevier Co or Lange from Faragut they are still a pretty good team. Without Cait, Heritage is sitting at the house right now. If you haven't seen her play, you need to because she is truly a joy to watch. The game against the Lady Admirals last night might be the best game I have seen in over a year. Best of luck to everyone in the finals and consolation. Can't wait to see what happens in the Region.

Are there ANY kids that play ball in Blount County schools that are actually in the grade they should be in age-wise?

McMahan - no. Humphrey - no. Eakens - no. And the lsit goes on. Friend on mine who was former asst principal in a Blount Co high school tells me that the practice of "holding kids" back a year for athletic reasons runs rampant in Blount County. May be common elsewhere - I don't know. There is a positive correlation between athletic success and age, however.

I think one thing to consider in the Maryville City system is their junior primary program. I don't know how long it has been in effect, but I believe a lot of kids have like an extra year of kindergarten. I can't envision a lot of people doing that strictly for athletic reasons ... I believe their are many more considerations.

Here's a noteable exception ... Angela Puleo, who was the best 8th grade girls basketball player in Blount County and one of the best in East Tennessee, is actually a year younger than most 8th graders ... she could be in 7th.

There are other variables also. My oldest daughters birthdate kept her from starting school a year earlier by 5 days. Has it made a difference? Athletically, not much ... still could before she graduates high school. Socially and academically? Absolutely.

GovMan

Interesting comments you made about the three Blount co. players. My daughter plays AAU basketball with Kate McMahan. they played 14 and under this summer.She turned 15 in December.Most of her team in AAU are in the 10th grade. That should make her 18 half way through her senior year. HARDLY a case of holding her back a grade. I also need to tell you that no principal would disclose information about records for fear of losing their job. I think this is just a sad case of someone trying to tear down the accomplishments of three very good players. Why make untrue accusations about these kids? Why not be positive and applaud the effort that these young men and women made to get to the level that they are.Yes, they have tallent,but I bet they all have worked very hard to be very good. Sometimes one has to accept losses w/o starting untrue rumors. Perhaps you need to ask the parents before you make up lies about their children.

Porter,

tfm and Govman are correct in their statements. I believe it is a personal issue. All three players tfm mentioned are older...But he does not take away from their accomplishments. Angela P. is an exception, she is younger. Her parents decided for her to go early. Koral Stache (the other scorer in Blount County) is one of the youngest seniors in the county. Did it hurt her. I think early on she was thrown to the wolves, however, for her career, I don't think so. I believe about the middle of the junior year things start balancing out. The "maturer players" age wise are not at an advantage any longer. If they don't practice and stay on the straight and narrow, the other "younger" kids will catch up. I think tfm was pointing out the age issue ... because Blount County does have many, many students that have done this. It does not violate any TSSAA rules.

To be the best, you have to play the best (no matter age). You play to win, you win to play.

Thanks, TdTbb.

I must have struck a nerve with Porter. I was in no way criticizing the players. The 3 that I mentioned are all very fine players and probably very fine students and people as well. I'm not sure where Porter was headed when she mentioned "losing." I never mentioned winning or losing in my post.

As far as the asst principal is concerned, he never mentioned names. He shouldn't and he wouldn't. It is unethical and he is an ethical person. I do believe in his conclusion, however.

Finally, the decision to "hold back" a student for athletic reasons is certainly not a decision made by the student. You can't fault the student... the decision is made by the parents. I was simply asking a question and it appears that "holding back" kids is very common in Blount County.

TFM,

OK, Lets get this settled once and for all. I am only saying to you, that Kate McMahon is NOT an "OLD" freshman.

She will turn 18 in the middle of her senior year. If I am correct, if she was held back wouldn't she be 19 her senior year? I do know that her birth month is december and she turned 15 in december of 2002. She will play 15 and under AAU with my daughter. So, to say she is held back, is not a true statement.