Advice For A Wanna Be Coach

TNBballMan

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REALLY? THAT IS WHERE I AM. FIRST OF ALL, YOU NEED TO TALK TO GET IN GOOD WITH PEOPLE HERE. ESPECIALLY ASSISTANT COACHES, OR EVEN HEAD COACHES. ENROLL IN HYPERS AS MUCH AS YOU CAN HERE, AND CHANCES ARE YOU WILL END UP WITH AN ASSISTANT COACH. YOU JUST NEED TO GET YOUR BASICS OUT OF THE WAY THE FIRST COUPLE OF YEARS ANYWAY. I COACH A SORORITY TEAM, AND SURPRISINGLY UNLIKE ONE MIGHT THINK, IT REALLY ISNT A JOKE. IT IS A LOT LIKE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS BALL. OVER HALF OF THE PPL IN INTRAMURALS COULD OR DID PLAY SMALL BALL SOMEWHERE. AND THE GREEK SPORTS HAVE A GREAT TURNOUT, USUALLY WITH A PACKED HOUSE IN THE REC CENTER. THAT IS A REALLY GREAT WAY TO START OUT JUST GETTING EXPERIENCE. AND IT REALLY HELPS WITH THE PPL YOU MEET, AND THE COACHES YOU ALREADY KNOW. ANYWAY, WHERE ARE YOU FROM?

I am from Red Boiling Springs, which is about 1 hr. and 15 mins. away from MTSU. I will start this fall, and as I said, basketball is my everything. Especially high school and college. I played for a few years in school and have been a student assistant for a couple. Where are you originally from?

I AM FROM DYERSBURG. ABOUT 3 HRS WEST OF HERE. IM NOT ONLY IN THIS FOR BASKETBALL, BUT ALSO AT FOOTBALL AS WELL. I HAVE HAD THE OPTION TO PLAY FOOTBALL AT BETHEL COLLEGE, BUT HERE AT MTSU IS GOING TO OFFER SO MUCH MORE IN THE COACHING DEPT. ANYWAY, TO THE OTHER GUY THAT ISNT SURE WHAT HE WANTS TO DO. UTC IS A GOOD CHOICE FOR YOU, IT IS GOING TO GIVE YOU A LOT OF OPTIONS. ANYWAY, AS FAR AS KNOWING WHAT IT TAKES. YOU HAVE TO DECIDE THAT FOR YOURSELF, YOU HAVE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE GAME THAN JUST ANY FAN. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SPECIFIC PLAN, KNOW THE FUNDAMENTALS, AND YOUR OWN UNIQUE WAY OF MAKING THINGS HAPPEN. IF YOU DONT KNOW, THEN SEE IF YOU CAN ASSIST SOME PEOPLE THAT ALREADY HAVE A HEAD COACHING JOB OF A SORORITY. THE REASONING OF THE SORORITY IS BECAUSE GUYS JUST WANT TO PLAY THEIR OWN GAME, AND USUALLY WONT LISTEN TO WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY. GIRLS WILL LISTEN. AT LEAST THAT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE SO FAR.

well im not out of highschool but ever since i was in 7th grade ive wated to be a teacher and coach and i have coached lil kids at the Y and church and stuff like that and im tellin you its alot harder then you think when the kids arent good cuz at that age its all about if your good or no you cant coach ne thing into em its all fast break but trying to make the kids good is kind hard to cuz teaching them to shoot the right wayand stuff like that is hard cuz they cant shoot the right way there not strong enough but ne way , do stuff like that ballin its a good start , my dad made me do it and hopefully startin a lil coaching now will make me a great coach when iget to be one

Well as I said, I played basketball for 3 years and have been around it for 7 years. I enjoy it and just have to be around it all of the time. I spend too much time studying the sport and being involved with it, it's just the way I am. I coached a Little League team of 2nd-3rd-4th grade boys and made it to the championship game of the tournament, but lost and ended up 2nd. It was such a great experience for me and I loved it. But 2 years after that I had a bunch that were athletic, but just couldn't get it together. After I taught them that TEAMWORK is the way to do it, we started playing better. It was a little late then though. I was wondering, would it be best to try and get a job inside the college like that or try to be a non-faculty assistant at a local high school in the city of the college I am going to, which is Murfreesboro? Are there any high schools that anyone knows of that would take an assistant coach in the Murfreesboro area?