Washburn V. UH

yogibear0131

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UH won by 21...

It might have made a difference, but Washburn started down a man (Justin Acuff got ejected against Cloudland) and then had two players (Adam Wolfenbarger and Jonathan Burchell) get ankle injuries in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Washburn tried to take away Bradley on the inside with a box-and-one, but when Wolfenbarger went down, it pretty much negated that.

UH played 12 players a lot of minutes and kept everyone fresh.

Should be a tremendous final with Hancock County.

Guest lander87

thank you for the great job of coaching you did in the washburn game. because of you our boys did not get a chance to play for the sub-state. what was going through your mind subbing like that. we had a ton of talent so don't tell me about no district title. we beat a unaka team who was down this year that will kill us next year. and you fans wonder why we love football.

I mean, I don't know if you are actually from Cloudland, but addressing Coach Smith like that is just straight up uncalled for. I come under the school of thought that very rarely does a coach decide the outcome of a ball game, he neither wins it or loses it. Ball games are win by players in their intensity in practice and the such. Now don't get me wrong, good coaches can get teams ready for games somewhat better, but I for one think Smith did most of his part in this equation.

Smith is a young coach, and oh how easy it is to get on CoachT and slingeth the mud. I didn't see the game. Did Smith mess up? Maybe. But to ere is to be human, and how many 2nd year coaches have a conference and district title already in there bag? Coach Smith has came along way in his few short years coaching. If he continues to make progress like he has in the past 3 years, he will be one of the better basketball coaches in upper East Tennessee in 5 or so years. Should Cloudland be playing in a substate game? Probably. But, sometimes things don't happen like they should, and teams get upset. Its just not right to take anything away from the accomplishments that the Landers did have- from Smith down to the least player on the JV- I mean first district championship since '68.

To an extent, I can understand why Cloudland is a football school. I mean, heck, they have been better longer- and this is due to better coaches who wanted to win first, and not just move down the road like many good basketball coaches wanted to do so. Yes, I have heard that football signs the checks at Cloudland, and yep that is true. But, it doesn't benefit anybody to say 'guess thats why the love football'. I mean Cloudland basketball has came along way in the past 6 to 7 years from a team that finished 6th to 8th in a conference to a to team that finishes 1st to 3rd in a conference consistently, but it will be hard for Cloudland to ever get over that hump and do great things if the fan support is diminished by just one upset, its basketball things like that happen.

I believe it takes away from Cloudland as a whole when you start throwing salt on a wound. Whenever you pop on your coaching whistle and donate your time for around .20 cents an hour to coach, then we will let you make the calls- I for one will keep my respect for every coach at the high school- they all do a great job.

[Edited by rolltideroll on 3-6-03 8:13A]

lander87 this is getting old. Why don't you take over next season so we can all get on here and bash you. I will take up for Coach Smith. He was simply trying to find someone, anyone to do what he was asking...throw the ball inside. The grade of the player did not matter, he was simply trying to find people to do what he thought was best for the team. Would you not do that? Isn't that what a good Coach would do, try to find the right combination? I feel that you are fortunate to have Coach Smith. He has brought Cloudland hoops a LONG way in a short period of time. The Coach always get's the blame but never the credit. It is easier to blame one person than a whole team, even though it may be unfair criticism. But that is what happens with fair weather fans...

You are right on the money rolltideroll and dep. dog with your comments. Cloudland is very lucky to have Coach Smith, and the good thing about him is that he is not using this job as a stepping stone to another job. Maybe people won't appreciate him and the job he does until he is gone. I hope that is not the case.

These are called "Fair Weathered Fans". They are there when everything is going great and they are ready to crucify you when you lose. Last night our kids "Unaka" played as hard as I have ever seen them play. All I heard was a select group of fans sit and criticize the players and their abilities, and why he would not take them out and so forth. It is enough to make you want to go on the other side and sit. How many fans stayed around to tell our kids what a wonderful season they had after last nights game? Very few. How many went to the coach and thanked them for all the time they had invested in their child this year? The fact is very few people appreciate the efforts that each coach and player puts forth. It's a no win situation. As for Coach Smith he is a very good coach and his work ethics are outstanding. Was I upset to find out how he voted in his MVP choice. Very much so. But that is something he and I will discuss in the future. But to get on this board and question a man's coaching ability that has brought Cloudland basketball from the outhouse to the penthouse is absolutely crazy. Upsets happen. It's part of the game. My advice to Lander87 or anyone else is this. If you can't support your team and coach in a positive way. Stay at home. I hear this crap I pay my $4.00 I can say what I want to. You have bashed our team and my son, you have bashed Cloudland, and others. If I knew who you were I would talk to Coach Lunceford and maybe since you like football so good he might let you play. If we are lucky maybe without a helmet. Maybe a direct hit might knock some sense in your head. To the Cloudland boys, you had a tremendous season this year. Work hard and make Roan Mountain proud. Some fans really appreciate the effort.

[Edited by coachtdog on 3-6-03 9:12A]

[Edited by coachtdog on 3-6-03 9:14A]

Guest lander87

if the bulldogs like him so much let him come back down to hampton. as for you tdog i did not say nothin about him but the fact he got screwed

This is to the Man who gets on as Lander87. Everyone knows who you are and your mouth is really getting old. How do you know that Smith or any other coach did not vote for your baby. The way you act your own coaches probably voted for Bradley, I would say they get tired of hearing your big mouth. Bradley was the best Player in the conference this year and just because you disagree don't make you right. Your boy is a good player, he must have got that from his mom. I don't advise questioning any coaches vote on any matter its none of your business.

Being that some of the post were during the time I was at the ballgame at Milligan the night you played, you must have put quiet some thought in your observation. As I have stated before, you are dead wrong. Sounds like you better take care of your own up there. Now as for no one liking me what has that got to do with my child's performance. Everyone knows who I am on here and I don't hide it. I don't make up names like some of you do and try to pretend to be me or someone else. So if you would like to approach me tonight at Milligan and I will be there which I am sure you won't have the nerve to and we can discuss this other than the message board. I take offense when people start accusing me of things that I am not guilty of. And as for the award, as I have stated before I could care less. Maybe not as talented but we all know who had the best year this season and "his team won the conference which to him is much more of an honor."