Stratford Football Job

coachtut

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see how the hiring process goes for the Metro job...is it vote for your best buddy or take care of a friend time! What about real change...something to shake the system up! Stratford seems to be metros cradle of coaches, many have started there and gone on to more success else where. The field is 53 and 1/3 yards for a reason, lets use all of the field. What could be more freeing to the soul than to play basketball on grass, to bring back the ghost of Cory Fleeming! (Sorry about Spelling)How would the Stratford program survive in region 6-4A throwing the ball on every play, blitizing with total abandon/! Can I have an amen brothers, could we just try that type of offense once... if it's no good take our special friend out back and throw away all of his passing plays... brainwash him watching videos of the smoke stack I and the buck sweep! But, and I know that its a large one, what if those kids at Stratford started throwing the ball around and people actually liked it. Remember, teach a man an off tackle play and you have a first down, teach a man to throw the corner route and all of a sudden its raining touchdowns. And last but not certainly least as coaches we all know that wins and loses come as a result of our talent levels....lets all stop hiding behind the public and private issue, its overdone

I know coach Smith wants to get into metro, so does ELA and at least two assistant coaches who are in metro also want the job. Coach Smith and ELA's offense both feature the no huddle passing game. Either one could do a great job there, but neither will be effective without good assistant coaches and complete support from the administration. I don't think anyone in metro wants to see Smith back in the district. I have to agree with Paxton about the passing game at Stratford. It could be great! I doubt Smith will like working at Stratford. He won't have the discipline and parental support he had at Ezell Harding! Rumor has it Coach Burnette wants another coach in the district to take over the program?

[Edited by caesar on 3-16-03 4:49P]

Paxton.....I have Questions???

1.) Are you saying that if someone installed the "Fun&Gun" type offense; that Stratford would rain touchdowns. This really sounds like what you are saying. Yes or No.

2.) Does that offense require "a pitcher" and "catchers"?

3.) What happens......if you have neither or only one of the two.

Reason I say this; I watched a Mid-State(rather not name) team in that offense this last season without those particular skills and they did not rain touchdown. They spent a lot of time on defense because of numerous 30 sec offensive cycles. :confused:

Coach763 is right! That is why I say you must also have good assistants. Coach, I think I know who you are and I think I know the game you may have seen! If you are the guy I think you are, you know a thing or two about Metro ball. Without a solid defense, the "Fun and Gun" ain't no fun!

I don't really know? I think he will make more money in metro than he will at Ezell and he could be just asking for more money at home. His players love him, but I think he won't stay at Stratford long if he gets the job! I think he really wants to go to Riverdale or some big school with big pockets! I think he sees himself as a football demi-god. What do you think?

[Edited by caesar on 3-16-03 5:26P]

Watch out for those fangs men, they hurt! What truly motivaties a man, only the man knows what is in his heart! Is it wrong to dream.....anyone that takes over any program must adapt his offense,defense and special teams to fit the players. Those that think they no smith are in right field. Is there something wrong with a coach wanting to coach in a higher division? Would there be something wrong watching the Stratford "Gun" versus the Hillsboro run? Money is not any issue, no one being held hostage!Let's stop making excuses for Stratford. Assistant coaches are the backbone behind any program, who ever takes over will have to prove himself with or without assistants. Why the anger against Smith, what could hurt if a system took a chance on a young coach?could it possibly be so bad for the kids at Stratford to have a coach that likes to throw the ball, why must change come so slowly?

I think the kids would love either of these men and their coaching styles. I don't see anything wrong with Coach Smith, but I'm telling you he is not liked in Metro Public Schools and he is absolutely hated by many public school coaches in Middle Tennessee. One of the teams I used to coach at played against him when he was the head coach at Greenbriar. That was AAA ball and he had very little success there with the same style of offense. What makes you think he will do better at Stratford in Metro AAAA? I don't have anything against the man, and yes, I have my favorites for the job. I think it should be a public school coach, maybe someone from inside metro or maybe someone from outside, I just don't think many coaches in metro want to see Smith! It's not his style of offense, it's just him! I like the "fun and gun" offense. Way too many remember those games against public school teams where he ran up the score. That will stay with him for a long time! There can be no question about his abilities, just his attitude. I don't care one way or another.

[Edited by caesar on 3-16-03 6:50P]

I think you are right about Smith and his kind. They have no place in Tennessee. I don't think Smith will even get an interview, much less get the Stratford job. I know for a fact that Smith will never get hired in Metro, he is disliked because he will tell things as he sees them. As well we know honesty is not always the best policy. The question is why is Smith hated so much in Metro? I heard he left because he couldn't get a head job and just wanted to go out and prove himself. Can a man be spurned just because of his beliefs? Should we start a wrtie in campagin to stop him from coaching in Middle Tennessee? I bet the kids from Stratford wouldn't play for a man that used the 5 wide offense. Nope, Smith should stay where he belongs, he's not the right kind of people. However, I do know that both years he went to the playoffs while at Greenbrier,he also had to feature more of a run offense because of the abilities of his players. I was told he was visited by aliens who gave him a play book that dealt strictly with the passing game! Again, I'm with you all, we must stop Smith and not let him interview for the Stratford job! Again, there will be no throwing in the metro district, we want our games close and their is to be no pass coverage practiced. We must stop Smith!!!!

You are one sarcastic dude! Please don't misunderstand me, I don't have a clue who will be hired. One thing is for sure, it probably will be the "safe hire" for metro. It will be tough for any coach because there are not many quality assistant coaches who will go there. BUT if a good young coach is given the job, I think he can go far if he works hard! I, for one, just don't see Coach Smith being hired or accepting the position at Stratford. If he does, it will not be for more than three years.

Paxton......

You did not answer my offensive question! Can the offense be run without the pitchers and catchers?

Can the offense be run with an average defense?

Can the offense be run with a less than adequate kicking game?

These are very general questions about the offense ......I would appreciate your opinion or thoughts :confused:

Thru the rumor mill have any of the applicants had head coaching experience? Also I have it on the sly that unfortunately Smith has applied for the position! Is it even important that the person has played or coached football before? Heard the application deadline is monday,March 17th.... anyone out there no the timetable for hiring the coach? Also what assistants are on staff right now? Ceasar, about Smith, why the 3 year timetable? Does he have a health problem or do you know something the rest of us don't, please don't hold out! We must build a case against this guy quick! I know this for sure, he has a horrible head of hair. Their was talk earlier about a possible hair transfer, but a tail graft proved to be the wrong answer.......come on coaches lets find away to keep him from getting an interview.... time is on our side!