Greeneville Coach

barb

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, they would be crazy to hire Coach Ricker. This would not be a good match at all. Not to take away from all his accomplishments, but his style would not fit the athletes or supporters that GHS possess. Let's not forget that the school would also be hiring, above all, a superb teacher. To try to replace Coach Blair in this arena, might be the more difficult task. To whomever takes the job, you have the resources to be very successful.

I agree Ricker would not be the best fit. He has had a stellar run at South Greene but I don't think is as well liked as Jack and has the tendancy to be rather abrasive.

I think Potts would be the best fit personality-wise, and he is a superb coach as well.

i will continue to ask the question

WHAT TYPE OF COACH DOES GREENEVILLE NEED??

everyone is throwing out names

-the 1st discussion should center on

the needs of the team???

i agree -mho (my humble opinion)

COACH POTTS is the best around

both on and off the court

he would be an outstanding pickup up

--i dont know if he is interested in leaving JCHS.

who will make the hire -

principal or coach shipe or DR Alshie??

will coach blair have any input ?

he and coach potts are best friends.

they need someone that will be able to work with

coach duncan will he have any input.

the relationship between boys coach and girls coach is often over looked

and may be a reason that coach potts

would want to stay @ JCHS

coach potts and boys coach Rick Sinard are friends

and have a great relationship -

they are the best combination of

boys and girls coach in the IMAC

whaley - oneal cocke co

livesay - decker east

gaylon - ballard west

price - parrot cherokee

sinard - potts jchs

duncan - ???? greeneville

I wouldn't base the decision for the Girls job on the Boys current coach. I just don't see Coach Duncan staying at Greeneville much longer, maybe not even next year. It would be a shame to match the girls coach to a coach that isn't even there any longer. As for needs:

1. Greeneville has one middle school that feeds into GHS. How simple can that be? They need a coach who is willing to start a program at the sixth grade level and is interested enough to get an offensive / defensive system into place starting at that age. You can't wait until they show up as a Freshman and say, Forget everything you know, this isn't middle school anymore, now you learn my game strategy.

2. Greeneville needs someone who will put aside the politics and glad handing, and teach TEAMWORK and Defense, at all positions! School records should be focused on wins and District/Regional/Substate Championships not individual performances. (Sevier County is an exceptional example of this)

3. Greeneville needs to support this new coach with stronger support as assistants. The Jr. Varsity needs to be revamped and importance shown to it. It's your near future.

4. GHS needs someone who this group of girls will respect. You can't teach, discipline, mentor, even reward someone without respect for the coach.

I could probably go on, but this is a good start. Who's willing/capable of doing these things. Of the names I've seen, only a couple I feel are up to that caliber.

I agree 100% with gvdevils coaching needs. We have had too many years of "glory players" both on the middle school and high school level!...and the coaching staff has fed into this mentality. To have a state championship team, all players must contribute equally and plays must NOT be centered around 1 or 2 players. This is one reason GV has not gone any farther in the past. The future is NOW and we need a great coach with team play as his focus!

Unfortunatley, Greeneville has had a great middle school program but the high school coaches have never taken the time or the care to work with the middle school coach...they are the one's who haven't bothered to get involved with these girls early. If it wasn't for the middle school coach working with these girls from 3rd grade up, the high school wouldn't have a program. Shame on the high school coaching staff for not having a JV team this year! If they would have worked a little harder, they could have had a team. The players on the B-team at the middle school are made to feel that they are as valued as the varsity squad but this isn't so at the high school level.

Maybe the middle school coach may not be ready to coach the high school team or maybe he is but he can't do anymore than he already does at the middle school level to help the high school unless they want to get involved and help themselves.

I agree that middle school coach has had a dedicated interest in the basketball program and yes it is a shame that the high school has not followed suit. Blair has had no idea what talent he has had coming up and I'm not sure he really cared. But I do not think the the middle school coach has the leadership qualities that a High School program needs. Not that he even wants the job. His main problem over the years has been that he is not in control of the team on or off the court. His teams have controlled him since he has been at the Middle School, which would be the death of any high school coach. I think he will have a very good team again next year and I hope the the High School coach will get with him and develop some kind of program that will continue to grow.

FYI...

Duncan became tenured this year so if he leaves it will be his decision. Middle school is already in good hands, they had an undefeated season this year. GHS feeds out of every elementary school in the county. More than 1/5 of enrollment pays tuition to attend, as much as we would like to think its academics that attract them...well good sports programs don't hurt.