OS position opening???

rSquared

All coaches at any school have expectations placed on them regardless if the school is Sunbright, Oak Ridge, or Oliver Springs. Regardless of classification or school, a new coach takes on the burden of facing an administration's, the fans, the parent's, and players's expectations.

A school like Oliver Springs has been blessed recently with a great deal of talent and pressure in coaching that talent to reach those expectations can be sometimes overwhelming. However, that pressure comes with the field and the acceptance of taking the regins of high school coaching. I don't see Oliver Springs any different than any other school as far as politics and the pressure for any new coach that accepts a coaching position. Yes, there is tremendous fan support, involved parents ( almost too much at time, but what school isn't?), and a Principal that is pro athletics, so coaching at Oliver Springs( in any sport) for a coach that wanted to build a very successful program with a strong foundations with the above attributes mentioned would love the opputunity and relish the so called pressure that has been talked about on this board.

I wish the coaches the best who have left Oliver Springs for greener pastures whether that be personal, career, or both. I know sometimes situations arise.

However, I see things differently and coaching at OS should be the type of position you move from Blount County for so you can build a program or maintain, not where a coach leaves an OS program to coach at an AAA JV program.

If Oliver Springs could find a couple more Coach Frank Johnson's, then we wouldn't have to worry about coaching exodous's due to pressure, geographical limitations, or other reasons for leaving OS. Like Johnson has done in the last 13 years, OS needs a coach that will bleed Purple and Gold 24/7- 365.

[Edited by OS91 on 3-26-03 10:41P]

[Edited by OS91 on 3-26-03 11:22P]

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LukeDukeKnows

Come on people, bring out the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about this situation. If you don't, I'd be glad too from ALL points and aspects of the situation at hand!! I get tired of reading the same ole, same ole when there is lot's of "good stuff" behind the scenes!!

I am somewhat confused by the comments of OS 91. I was trying to make the point earlier that I did not leave for greener pastures, I left for family reasons. What kind of a parent are you if you leave at 7:00 every morning and get home at 11:00 at night on game nights and 8:00 on practice nights? Some might say that many people do that all the time. I would answer to that that that is their primary job. Coaching, for me anyways, is my secondary job. Teaching is my primary job. I make 14 times more money teaching compared to coaching. In my opinion, coaching is enjoyable, not a job. So I was not going to spend all my nights out doing a "hobby" and not seeing my kids. That is just my opinion, of course. Also, I have never made a statement that OS puts more pressure than any other school. It does not. It is one of the great atmospheres in all of High School Sports. All I know is that it was extraordinary pressure to return to the state tournament just as it was in T Wrights case this past year. That is fine. It would be that way anywhere. It was just more than I could handle at the age of 27. Furthermore, I do not understand the vague post on the underlying reasons for Wright's departure. There is nothing hidden to it.

We should not berate Coach Cupp, Coach Ballard or Coach Wright for choosing to changes their circumstances. Have you ever changed jobs? Each of these men in one way or another helped to put the Oliver Springs basketball programs on the map. Think where the girls program was just a few short years ago (we were just hoping the girls would place high enough at the district tournament to get to the regionals). The big key is to maintain this level of play and expectations. Programs like Jackson County (4 straight gold balls) and Livingston Academy are good year in and year out. How does Oliver Springs maintain this status now that it has been reached?

The point of this thread should be who would be the best replacement for Coach Wright now that he has announced to the team that he will not be back next year. I˜ve stated before on this thread that I think Sam Bilyeu would be the obvious choice, he has coached for at least 25 years and had winning seasons almost every year. He has won with talent and won in years when the talent is not as good. He has coached most of these girls in the past therefore there would not be a big transition for the girls. They know what to expect and he knows what they can do. He has contacts with the middle school program and if his replacement works with him can start laying the high school foundation at the middle school level (as he has been doing for several years). He is already in the school system. Sam brings the qualities, (hard work, desire, heart, defense and team before me attitude) that I believe would help the Lady Cats get back to Murfreesboro and help them maintain this level.

The question is who else is out there that has these qualities and might be interested in the job and who would put his/her heart and soul into the program? An earlier post mentioned Marcum. Who is this and what are his/her qualifications? Are there others?

Also I˜d like to say something about expectations: If you don˜t expect it from your players then they will never achieve it. If you don˜t expect to win district titles, regional championships, sub-state battles and gold balls then your teams will never win any of these. I will use Sam and Norwood as an example. Every year Sam and his teams expect to win a championship at the TNT or now the TMSAA. Some years they don˜t reach those expectations but most years they do. My daughter played at Norwood, which has been down for the last several years. The expectations at Norwood have been winning more games than we lost (not championships) at least until their new coach took over this year. The program took the first steps this past season to becoming a better program, because the coach expected it, the girls believed it and they all worked toward making it happen. I˜ll say it again ˜ If you don˜t expect to win then most of the time you won˜t.

The expectations are high at Oliver Springs High School (and rightly so) and we better get someone in there to coach these girls that expects to win championships every year. OS returns all but 3 girls from this year˜s varsity team, plus this year˜s JV and has several talented players who will be freshmen next year (from OS and Norwood and there˜s more talent in the 6th and 7th grades as well) therefore the expectations will not only be high this year but will be high for years to come.

The post isnt directed at one coach, but as collectively as a group where coaches have left OS for Greener pastures, geographical limitations, personal reasons, or family reasons. Whatever the situation and growing up in Oliver Springs, I feel that an OS job should be one that a coach would stay at 10-15 years.

I used you as an example and that's nothing personal- I understand your reasons for leaving, however it seems OS is on the short end of the stick as coaches are leaving and players at OS with new coaches every couple years.

All the more reason to find a coach that would be on the benc h for 10-15 years.

[Edited by OS91 on 3-27-03 10:57A]

Guest LukeDukeKnows

Come on you all, let's talk about why Channell should not be both the boys and girls coach at OS next year. There is a very good possibility this mistake is going to happen. :o

[Edited by LukeDukeKnows on 3-27-03 11:33A]

Guest LukeDukeKnows

I have a major Q for you Coach Channell: If you are not interested in the girls job, at all, why have you made phone calls to people in the area asking them to be your assistant if you get the job??????????????

I don't know who you are (nor do I care) and I do not know what you think you know - but it is obvious that you have no clue what you are talking about. I have made several calls to people that I think might be interested in the girls job (to encourage them to contact our principal). I do not have any clue who will eventually be hired. They may be a local... it may be somebody from outside the community but I would be foolish not to encourage people that I know would do a great job to inquire about the job. Nice attempt..... keep trying.