OS position opening???

rSquared

Kandi,

For that matter, you know how many people down there seem appreciatitive for ALL the many hours I have spent driving, covering, and writing articles on OS athletics over the past 8 or so years. I could count them on one hand!! I try to mention, I know there are space limitations, every athlete that does something positive in a contest. But...every one seems to take it for granted I guess. You know how much coverage we had in HS?? Almost none until Tinker Ivans, with some props to Mr. Rose, came in your JR year and my SR year.

Mrs. Gail Walls gave me one of the greatest compliments about a month ago on an article I wrote over the OSMS girls winning their district tourney at Norwood. Things like that do not go unnoticed my friend. Keep up the good, hard work at Petros. If you're like me here at Norris, you feel wanted and needed. :D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt, I was not talking really about media coverage. I think you and goose do a wonderful job and am not taking anything away from you all on media coverage. More along the lines of conversations amongst people and not just talking about Roane County either.

I think Roane County News Sports is great coverage and it isn't biased towards one school

[Edited by KandiD on 3-24-03 2:13P]

What is this a chat line or something between you two?????? just joking HA HA. I don't know an awful lot about OS, sounds like things there are pretty much the same as the are everywhere (politically speaking). From what I do know I think it would be a shame if the job opened and it wasn't offered to a person who was putting in the time and for the most part doing a good job............ Bilyeau or however you spell it. He's been the middle school coach quite a while and although he may not be the most loved man in OZ you really cannot question his results or his dedication to getting these results. I mean are you not going to reward a person who if they want it , probably deserves it. Many people don/t want to hear this but the success that a H.S. program has or doesn't have can almost surely (but not always depending on the coach) be traced back to the fedder program.

I'd love to see Coach Bilyeu get the opportunity to move up. It may not happen, but I definitely think he deserves consideration. I think the current squad would respond well to Coach Bilyeu because he has coached them in the past and they won with him as their coach.

Someone can correct if I'm wrong, I have been before, but over the past 9-10yrs that Mr. Sam Bilyeu has been the coach of the girls program at OSMS they have posted a record of 146-32 with at least one TNT championship and an East Tennessee Sectional State championship. There may be more, but...I'm really sure.

Coach Bilyeu has paid his dues, he deserves the opportunity first. Back in the good ole days a coach or anyone for that matter starts at the bottom and works their way up. He is the next person in line, and has been in line for this job, but has been overlooked on several occasions. He may not be the most popular person for this position, that's because he is hard nosed and will not put up with any BS from anyone.( at least you know where he stands) He runs a tight ship, and has the players respect. His players don't second guess his game plans, because they believe. They may not always like him, but I don't like my boss somedays either, that's life.

I have been told there are phone calls being made to Mr. Hacker about the negatives of Sam being given this position (this has not been verified), I have also spoken with 1 of our school board reps. about this opportunity and ask him what the parents and people of OS should be doing that support Coach Bilyeu and he said call Mr. Hacker and voice your support so lets step up and do that. Sam LOVES these girls and has what it takes to take them to the next level, and the thing that I like about him the most is that no one interferes with his team, and everyone knows that and this may be the reason for the negatives.

As an outsider looking in (someone from Norwood) and also someone who went to school with Sam for many years I thought I'd weigh in with my opinion. I think Sam would be an excellent choice for the high school position. He obviously knows the game, is good at getting the most out of his players and plays the style of basketball (fastbreak, press and pressure man to man) that brings home trophies. Some people say that Sam wins because he has good talent and I agree he has had some great players, but you don't win year in and year out on talent alone. I've seen teams loaded with talent lose on a regular basis. Another point to be made is with Sam already being in the school system Mr. Hacker has more flexibility in hiring a replacment math teacher. He doesn't have to look for a coach/math teacher. Here's hoping Hacker reads this and gives Sam a fair shake for the position.

[Edited by oscats14 on 3-26-03 5:50A]