overtime question

macdaddy

in double overtime the person who has scored the first point gets choice! what if we all proposed this change... if no offensive points are scored, then the ref flips the disc and you take your chances! there were a few matches lost because of this rule! let me know what you think! colleges do it this way!

I think that no matter what happens, after the 1 minute overtime, both guys should get a shot at bottom and whomever scores the fastest will be the winner. Why is scoring the 1st offensive point any more important than scoring the last point to tie the match? How is the 1st takedawn more important than the escape that comes through immeasurable effort in the last 5 seconds of regulation? I think that you will agree that it is NO more important. That is like saying that the 1st team that scores in the NFL gets to have the ball first in overtime. That is like saying that the 1st run scored in a baseball game is more important than the last run scored in the bottom of the 9th to tie it up. It is rediculous. Both guys get their shot. That is equal as we can get.

Example...The 1st guy ecapes in 12 seconds. So now we put 12 seconds on the clock and let the other man try to beat it.

I agree with KKW. At the region there was a match that went 0-0 first period. To start off the second, the red wrestler cut the other wrestler to go takedowns. No one scored, but the red wrestler got took down in the third and escaped under his own power, he was not cut. In my mind, red scored offensively while green just received a point. Nevertheless, after no score in OT, green got choice and escaped for the win.

Giving both wrestlers an equal chance would be the fairest method available. No one point in a tied match is any more important than any other.

[Edited by luchador on 3-28-03 10:40A]

There is a lot of discussion going on about that, even at the college level. There, first offensive points dont matter, they flip the disc. The purpose of utilizing the first offensive points to determine choice is an effort to make scoring early more meaningful, therefore, more action.

I think you go 1 minute OT, no score, each wrestler has choice of top or bottom for thirty second. Continue to do that until one rides the other out.

Riding time = 1pt, Escape = 1pt.

I dont really like what I have just suggested, but I do agree, something should change to make it more even.

reftn

Guys seems to me that control from the top position should be stressed a bit more. The red wrestler who cut his man pretty much conceads he does not have the offense to turn the bottom man. Therefore he cuts his opponent, he loses the first point and choice should it come to OT. Folkstyle and college wrestling is more about control than just being able to take your opponent down. You must be able to control and score from all three positions. Riding time plays a big part in the score of a college match. (I'm not in favor of bring this to the high school level.) I do think that if our wrestlers were to work on mat wrestling a bit more you may find this question of overtime a mute point. If you did find your self in a tie situation why not wrestle a new thirty second three period match. Most aggressive wrestler wins.