Best Defense of All time

stokke

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote goes to Brentwood Academy 1995. Austin Kemp, Tito Lee, Jaman Bass, Mikki Allen, Kurstin Biggers, and others. Most swarming high school defense I have ever seen.

The 96 defense wasn't bad either. Maybe a step behind the 95 team though.

Been a lot of good defenses, but in college it has to be Alabama's D in 1992, I believe, with Copeland and Curry at DE's. Antonio Langham, George Teague, Sam Shade in the secondary. I don't know if UT got a first down that year against them, and UT was pretty talented with Shular at QB.

yeah, you're in the class of 2001 right? that was the year that had clark lea, moses osemwegie, dominique morris (all vanderbilt), tate rich and barton simmons (both brutal hitters now at yale), James Pittman (Rice), K.B Parkes and Andrew Ellis (both would knock your face off), Carlton Stewart was a corner would blow up an option play, Ingle Martin played utility in the secondary, B.J Billips, Reid Murphy, and Dominick Smith, also had large contributions. Several of those guys were all-state, and barton was the defensive all-midstate player of the year. clark was all-midstate two way player of the year. that was the second of three state championships, and the team was ranked as high as 7 in the country by some polls. the starters were usually out by the start of the 4th if not earlier, but i don't have any ppg stats or anything.

Yep, I'm 2001. I was pretty sure we were the same class as I remembered our convo in a thread about our "epic" freshman team battle of 1997. :)

But I do remember that defense. A great team all around, but a stout defense to boot. I remember being impressed by the depth and consistensy that MBA put together every year, and that one just the same.

The best defensive lines of all time would have to include the Maryville High Rebels team of '98. They won a state championship but their offense was much more the heralded group. But with a defensive front four of Brad Hilsher (UT), Chuck Prugh (UT), Nick Black (Clemson), and Matt Miller (Carson-Newman and the defensive MVP of the state championship game), my daughter's volleyball team could have lined up at linebacker and my nephews little league baseball team could have lined up at DB and they would still have stopped just about everybody (just kidding--opponents might have doubled the number of passes that they really got off per game to four). :)