Riverdale..Just a Local Powerhouse

WarriorFan

And if MBA or BA played those teams they would also lose. So Riverdale is just a "local powerhouse", but BA is a "national contender" because they occasionally schedule out of state teams? Give me a break. They lost the only such game this year. I could play an out of state team by myself and LOSE, but that would not make me a national contender. MBA didn't have an out of state game this year that I know of. Guess they were not "national contenders", either.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are right wave. Tn football is pretty good, unless you have seen it played in Texas, which I have, or Louisians, which I have or even Mississippi, which I have. I have lived in each of those states since graduating from college - and Katy, Texas or Clarksdale, South Panola, Moss Point Mississippi, or Evangel Christian, West Monroe LA would easily beat most if not all TN teams, including the privates.

But that does not matter. The TN state championship is what all of the teams around here strive for. Anything else you might get is just the result of a poll, and for every one that you can show me with your team in it, I can show you another where you are not even mentioned. Unless you are the De LA Salle, Jenks, etc. of the world. Riverdale is not in that league and neither is BA or MBA. So go schedule you some out of state team, and lose again. Then you can be proud of your "national pretenders"

As for me, I support Riverdale because my son played there and because I live in the 'boro. I will support them no matter who they play.

My take on high school national rankings is that they do not mean much, and I agree that probably every coach coaches his team to win every game, and thus win the state title. But, if a team is successful in that endeavor, then it's neat to see if your team makes a Top 25 list. I think there are few TN high school football fans, and especially those of so-called powerhouses, who don't buy a USA Today on Tuesdays and see if their team made the Super 25, or even the Top 10 in the regional rankings.

Maryville fans will tell you that all they strive for is to win the state title and that they don't care about national rankings. I certainly believe that winning a state title is first and foremost on their minds (as it is with most teams). But I don't buy for a minute that many of their fans didn't scan USA Today for their name in the rankings this past year, especially by season's end when MHS was the only undefeated team in the state. Heck, I have relatives in Knxoville, and they have absolutely no ties to Maryville (other than close geographical proximity), but most every time I saw them in Knoxville this past football season for UT games, they would say "We think Maryville might crack the Super 25 in USA Today this week". If relative non-fans of MHS were checking the papers, my logical guess is that those close to MHS were, too.

And you know what, who can blame them? What's wrong with wanting a little national pub?

[Edited by rollredroll on 4-2-03 10:04P]

Brandon, your arrogance is insulting me and I don't even have a dog in this hunt. It's great that BA and MBA have the available finances to jet around the country playing on Friday nights, but please don't believe that's the only criteria for having a good football team. You speak of Riverdale's parental income figures like you're an authority and I don't believe you know one parent from Riverdale. Not one. So please stop condescending to those who are obviously beneath you. Didn't MBA charter a jet to fly to Florida for the Ingle Martin fumble fest a couple of years ago. I believe they were home from the airport before I got home from my game in Clarksville. Just how many public schools can afford to charter planes? Please don't hold your arrogance against regular, public school types. I think the funds would be better spent by donating to smaller, rural county school systems like Cloudland where they would probably appreciate a few new sets of pads and helmets - but I guess that's not as impressive as flaunting your school's wealth.

Brandon100, you are the biggest idiot on coacht. I play for Blackman and I really don't like Riverdale either because they are our rival, but I will defend them because you are way out of line. You are so jealous of Riverdale because all you ever do on here is gripe and complain and put down Riverdale. Who gives a crap whether you play a team out of state or not? The only thing that matters is who comes out on top after the season is over. One difference between Riverdale and MBA or BA is that Riverdale doesn't give scholarships or pay students just to play ball there. Riverdale just takes what kids they get, and with FREAT coaching, turns them into CHAMPIONS. Another thing, Riverdale is located in Murfreesboro along with Blackman and Oakland. We are not one of those rich cities full of stuck up snobs like brentwood is (not all people, I know there are a lot of good people in Brentwood). We are just "plain folk" down here. Murfreesboro is the home to utility workers, school teachers, and all kinds of other people who do tremendous amounts of physical labor and who work hard every day just to make a living. If it wasn't for us, all the rich snobs wouldn't be able to sit indoors behind their desks all day with their suits and ties and htting on their secretaries. Not so rich towns with just plain people like us are the backbone of Tennessee, heck of all America. Hey, when was the last time that BA or MBA played De La Salle or Matre Dei? In case if you don't know, Rivedlale scrimmages MBA just about every year and do you know the team that most always wins, the WARRIORS. One more thing, you need to just shut up and get off of coacht because you are making yourself look like the biggest fool there is. I am definetly giving you a BAD mark for your post.

Well said RIVERDALE and Scrappy

Lets Go 4-5A All The Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Represent

[Edited by bhsOL on 4-3-03 1:36P]

[Edited by bhsOL on 4-5-03 6:54P]

Bhs,

first of all i know first hand that mba has beaten riverdale in five out of the last six years. Also, i would love for you to name just one recruited or scholarship player at MBA. Does Eric Locke ring a bell cause i seem to remember him suddenly transferring to Riverdale for no apparent reason. As far as your statements about brentwood or other "rich" areas; i am sure that people there work just as hard for there money as people in the boro. Also, Riverdale has one of the largest booster clubs in the state. Rankin drives a custom designed golf cart around practice all the time so the Riverdale football squad cant complain about funding. But at the same time that doesnt mean that they should be flying to florida to play games. They should however toughen up there schedule every now and then.

BHSol,

As you know I am from Murfreesboro as well and to a certain extent I was thinking the same thing you were but did not have the nerve to say it b/c I didn't want to offend anyone. Regardless of who has won between Riverdale and Brentwood does not seem to be the point. It almost seems as if Brandon has some kind of personal issue with Murfreesboro/Riverdale. If that is the case there is no reason no talk like that.

Well, anyways have a GREAT day.....

GO RIVERDALE!!

GO BLACKMAN!!!!

Here is all i want to say. I have seen many, many high school football games,and none of them, in my opinion, EVEN COME CLOSE TO THE EXCITEMENT OF A RIVERDALE vs OAKLAND, BLACKMAN vs OAKLAND, and def BLACKMAN vs RIVERDALE. Us folks in the boro take pride in our football so to be a local powerhouse is something that is great. AND FOR YOU TO EVEN SAY RIVERDALE IS A LOCAL POWERHOUSE IS A COMPLIMENT BECAUSE EVERY TEAM IN THE BORO STRIVES TO BE THAT GOOD, now i am like bhsoline as this will prob. be the only time i will defend Riverdale, but more importantly i am defending our region, so thats all i gotta say.

OH yeah, a good mark for you bhsoline. have a nice day. ;)

sry i cant give you a good mark but if i could i would.

[Edited by shady04 on 4-3-03 2:44P]