Poll on Drug Testing

landergolfer

Posted by mchsballer:

a cop can searcha students car,thats part of the requirement when receiving a school parking permit,and cop can also search a students locker at any time.Having a drug test is no different,and is a good idea.

This is correct. The rules for school are different. The responsiblities for the schools that we entrust them with are staggering. The main purpose for a school is to lead, train, educate young people. Part of a schools requirements are to protect all students...whether it is from each other or from themselves. Drug testing should occur for athletes at the beginning of each season - mandatory and then random there after. The first test should be to see where the team is and where do the individuals stand and then the remaining tests are a deterant. Len Bias....I do not understand his story and really do not have all the facts...however, he is dead. Could he have been saved??

Coming home from a game along time ago on our bus, four players were sniffing in the back of the bus, no one reported them. Three were some of the finest kids in our class...no reason to suspect... two died, one rehab.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do not need reasonable anything,your using the schools property,its theirs to search as they please.The testing is a great idea,as Coacht stated,playing high school athletics is a privelage,not a right,and your represinting your school,I wouldnt want a bunch of druggees represinting my school.

You Do have to have a reasonable suspision to search non-school items that are on school property (ie a students car)

However it is VERY easy to argue the reasonable suspision...ie..I thought I saw a cigarette will work)

Posted by mchsballer:

They do not need reasonable anything,your using the schools property,its theirs to search as they please.The testing is a great idea,as Coacht stated,playing high school athletics is a privelage,not a right,and your represinting your school,I wouldnt want a bunch of druggees represinting my school.

Humiliated??? Give me a break. This is a progam acrossed the board, everyone has to do it. No one is passing judgement until the test comes out positive. One life saved in a region, district, school...well worth it. As long as you are not willing to work with program, there will always be excuses. Work with the program and the program will work.

Our school system never is involved the the testing once the hospital gets our list of athletes. We do not know who or when the test will be. Our kids are randomly selected by a computer and are tested under a watchful eye of a doctor or nurse. It is a great thing. We want our athletes to represent the school drug free.

Ok, I graduated last year and was drug tested, my team and I both were. The first time we all went together before practice and then randomly throughout the year some of my teammates were tested. I don't see a problem at all. I don't think it was humiliating at all. In fact it was kind of a bonding experience for us all, especially the ones who didn't have to go to the bathroom and we had to wait longer on them. Making jokes and laughing trying to make the others have to go. I now coach my old team and I'll be there again through a drug testing that the girls have to go through only this time I'll be a coach. In Anderson County I think its like 3 strikes and you are out or something like that. You get 3 chance before you can't play again. I think drug testing is great. Why should a kid be doing that kind of stuff to themselves anyways....And if you play a sport you have to give up some things. You have to give up a whole lot of free time and then even more time to make yourself even better. So how can you say that taking a drug test isn't right. Out in the real world things work a whole lot differently, I have to take a drug test for the place I work, why shouldn't I begin in high school. Isn't that what school is for anyways, to prepare the student for the rest of their life.....

in response to OSHSman - a persons personal freedoms/choices....

you are correct, you have the right to break the law and go to jail, if you so choose.....while you are there, however, in jail, you do not have the right to choose if you are going to be the "man" or the "woman", in your little cell....the bigger, stronger person will make that choice for you...

YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO PLAY SPORTS, IT IS A PRIVILAGE..... the school cannot discriminate, but that "big guy" in your cell can...

drug testing all extra-curricular activities will provide those border-line kids a reason to say no, why? cause they can use those extra-curricular activities and drug testing as a crutch.....now those kids that are pre-disposed to use drugs will get caught and now will have a opportunity or a reason to quit....

the only people that want to argue this subject are the pro-drug group who thinks that drugs are ok.......

Now, with 20 years of experience in the criminal justice field, let me educate you....the number 1 abused drug in this country is alcohol!...and it is legal....more homicides, domestic abuse, home invasions, car deaths, assaults occur under the influence of alcohol than any other drug.....

So, with that, then why would anyone be for drugs! or against drug testing?

I'm not for the use of drugs. But I'm also for personal responsibility and personal liberty, which drug testing, both in school and in the workplace violate. Playing sports may be a privilege, as your side likes to say, but it is a coerced test. Athletes should not be treated any differently than the rest of the student body.