Poll on Drug Testing

landergolfer

I was just curious how the people felt about drug testing in high school athletics. Does your county already do it or are they thinking about doing it? I know Carter County and also Johnson County are thinking about doing Drug Tests. What is your thought on this matter?

landergolfer@coacht.com

[Edited by landergolfer on 4-8-03 7:16P]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We drug test all of our athletes and cheerleaders at the beginning of each year. Then there are random tests four times throughout the school year. Cost is very low about 7 bucks a test. It has helped our athletic program a lot. Now I know my kids are clean and I have personally seen it get a kid off of drugs and he ended up graduating and becoming an all region player. It may not fit all schools but ours it does.

i think it is quite needed in this day and time. the benefits are clear: for those who view sports as a more valuable part of their high school lives than drugs, well they have a powerful cause for restraint,- while those who would like to play but hold drugs at a higher priority level won't be able to slip by and the administration will be able to remove them and intervene as needed (not just for the benefit of the rest of the school, but hopefully their OWN as well)....

i am all for it. really folks if you care about our children then think this one over very hard....only the guilty have anything to worry about, and if it were your child wouldn't you want to know before it is possibly too late?

wes holsclaw,- great article in the star! good work.

hopefully it will truly make a difference.

just some opinions i wanted to share...

how many coaches do you think say they would like to see it done but are really hoping it doesn't happen. Some coaches have the "out of sight, out of harm" theroy. Just be careful and don't get caught but be ready on Friday's game. How many would really like it when their star player came up positive. Sure many and I hope most coaches would be more interested in the kid instead of the player but they're some out there that only think of what they can do on the court or the field and not off. I think it would be a positive thing if the player knew they would be tested instead of they might be tested. Sure money is an object. But want price is too much to try and help someone. And everyone should be tested, even the coaches.

Guest jennyk

I think it is a great idea! I think students, athletes, coaches and teachers should all be tested. SURPRISE TESTING FOR EVERYONE! They charge school fees at the beginning of the year just add $10.00 for drug testing to the list. I'll pay it!

We are tested (all the coaches) at the beginning with our kids. So thats not a problem. But overall it is great if we lose a game and our kids are clean thats what matters not the winning and losing part.When you have 15 clean kids every night and day then winning will take care of itself. You lose when you send a kid out in the world that can't function without drugs or that can't get a job because he or she can't pass a drug test.

i got a feeling this would come down to parents in a much greater way than it will coaches,- not to detract from your point, though. it is a valid one. i am certain that there are coaches like that out there. but losing star players would generally only happen initially if a program were set up and used consistently. once a precedent was set, then there would be no where for the users to hide, thus eliminating those big friday night surprises for the coach...

1st - I am for it. It should be done for all extra curricular activities, that means band, football, baseball, choirs, anything that a student does in representing your school.

2nd - You would have to have a plan set up for the student if he/she tested positive. (ex) follow-up testing, certain no. of games or events that they would be suspended from, drug classes. You just dont get rid of a student for testing positive once.

3rd - 2nd offense stiffen the penalities of the above mentioned. Something stronger to get their attention.

4th - 3rd offense not allowing any activities after school for a certain period of time. With drug testing with the parents paying the bill monthly.

And last but not least on 4th offense kicking the person off the team until he/she can go 6,8 or even a year drug free before he/she would be allowed to participate in extra curricular activities.

This would let the student continue to have a goal to clean his act up and not give up on our greatest commodity the student himself.