How much rest for pitchers?

diamondjim

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3-4 is plenty. The next day he should run to help work out the soreness and a light toss. Then the next day should be a short pen or toss session, then a longtoss the next day. The 4th day of rest should be then a light pen to work on mechanics and working on hitting spots at about 50-75%. Then they should be back out there ready to toe the rubber again. This all is subject to change by the pitcher, and how many pitches was thrown in the game. If he threw a 125 pitch seven inning game, four days rest would probably be needed. But if he goes out there and throws a 65 pitch gem, then 2-3 days rest would be enough. Just depends on the player, and there work ethic.

This is high school, not the major leagues. Most teams dont have the luxury of having a 5 man rotation where all they do is pitch. Most of these kids have to play the next day. Depending on depth, your teams strengths and weakenesses, and your opponent should determine either how much rest he gets, wheather he plays or not, or where he will play. Like i said in my earlier post, we had our pitchers play 1st after they pitched so they wouldnt have to throw across the diamond at all, if any.

Posted by JHITE7:

3-4 is plenty. The next day he should run to help work out the soreness and a light toss. Then the next day should be a short pen or toss session, then a longtoss the next day. The 4th day of rest should be then a light pen to work on mechanics and working on hitting spots at about 50-75%. Then they should be back out there ready to toe the rubber again. This all is subject to change by the pitcher, and how many pitches was thrown in the game. If he threw a 125 pitch seven inning game, four days rest would probably be needed. But if he goes out there and throws a 65 pitch gem, then 2-3 days rest would be enough. Just depends on the player, and there work ethic.

I understand that, but they do that throwing and running before the game that they play first base. This is high school, but you still can use that routine because most high schools have maybe 3-4 games per week tops. Give and take a few for rain, and some tournaments. But I think teams can find a 3 man rotation, and the days off in between the pitchers can do their running and light pens at practice. I just believe in throwing a little everyday, and alot of running. It's worked for me so far in my career

Well, I'll just say this... Some of you have it right and some of you have it wrong.. It depends on whether or not the pitcher is a starter, reliever, set-up man, closer, or even another position player... As for just a starter 3-4 days rest is adequate time for them to get back on the mound.. yes it does depend on the amount of pitches he does throw in the game, but if you have your pitcher (HIGH SCHOOL) throwing more than 125 pitches YOUR THROWING HIS ARM OUT!!!>. he's still growing and maturing and your damaging the rotator cuff muscles by doing it... I suggest 100 pitch max.. 15 pitchs per inning is the average.. that's 105 per game... a good pitcher should only throw a maximum of 5 pitches per batter... that's the ideal way to do it... again back to the starter 3-4 days is adequate rest time.. icing is optional but running is a must... not to much running through cause you can create wear and tear on the legs.. a reliever should only need about 3 days maximum rest... a set-up man/closer should be able to go every day.. BECAUSE he is only throwing a max of 30 pitchs or less... as for throwing the next day... i dont recommend it... i like running and long tossing on the 1st day, running and LIGHT bull pen on the 2nd day, and full day rest on the third, then pitching on the 4th... it helps get rid of the lactic acid build up in the arm.. Icing yes does control the swelling which is ideal but i like the ice massage.. pushing the blood back towards the heart... as for position player/pitcher, i just leave them alone.. reason being is because how often do they REALLY THROW the ball in the game.. give or take 5 most... in warm-ups yeah they throw but its USUALLY light throwing across the diamond or in the outfield.. as for putting them on first base that's insane BECAUSE he's throwing every half inning to 3 other positions at least 4 each that's 12 throws... and its usually at a different arm angle.. to me that's stupid, but that's my opinion..

Guest slider2002

FlTNBaseball7 you are 100% right. Each player is different in how well they recover after pitching. A coach must try to learn how each one of his pitchers recovers from pitching. I think that the TSSAA should have pitching rules. I don't think that it's coaches not caring, at least I hope thats not the case. I think a lot of coaches want that W so bad they forget about resting a kids arm.

Everyone needs to remember that you are dealing with YOUNG men who are still growing. And a kids arm is never worth a WIN.