seeking info on Ezell-Harding, Goodpasture and Lip

wrsmith

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Caesar, you have now proven you offically have no life interfering where you don't belong. I offer infrormation that concerns my school. I think all the schools mentioned do a great job, should I be punished because I gave out information on our school, well ceasar, again you put you nose where it dosen't belong. Tell me Caesar where would you go if you were a receiver that wanted to go to a place where they thow the ball alot? I don't know why I get to you so much but if the problem persists my number is still the same 1-615-367-2045, call and we cann arrange a face to face to discuss our...differences!

I guess since Carlton Flatt was given a pass on the recruiting violations, almost anything is okay. Now that head coaches of private schools can go online and promote their schools to kids from across the state, maybe public schools should be allowed to get on here and promote their schools? I hope someone at the TSSAA takes notice of this thread! Maybe someone should email a copy of this thread to them? If I was a coach at CPA, DCA, DA, FRA, or any of those 5-1A, I would be up in arms about this matter! ;)

[Edited by caesar on 4-27-03 6:11P]

There is nothing wrong with this thread. It's no different than Mr. Smith coming up to me on the street and asking me what schools in TN threw the ball alot. As far as that goes i would say either Ezell, BA, or MBA. Caesar, try removing that chip from your shoulder

I'm not going to get involved in this debate but here are the current TSSAA rules on the subject:

Recruiting Rule (Page 17 of the handbook)

Section 21. The use of undue influence on a student (with or without an athletic record), the

parents or guardians of a student by any person connected, or not connected, with the school to

secure or to retain a student for athletic purposes shall be a violation of the recruiting rule.

------------------------------------------------------------

Page 43 July 28, 2002

Recruiting Rule

Q. How is undue influence interpreted in the recruiting rule?

A. A person or persons exceeding what is appropriate or normal and offering an incentive or

inducement to a student with or without an athletic record.

Q. What is the penalty for violation of the recruiting rule?

A. Violation of the recruiting rule shall cause the student to be ineligible at the school in violation,

and a penalty shall be placed against the school.

Q. Is it permissible for a coach to contact a student or his or her parents prior to his enrollment in

the school?

A. No, a coach may not contact a student or his or her parents prior to his enrollment in the school.

This shall apply to all students whether or not they have an athletic record.

2002-03 TSSAA Handbook

Page 44 July 28, 2002

Q. What are some of the guides used in determining whether there has been undue influence used

which would result in a violation of the recruiting rule?

A. Some examples are, but not limited to:

1.Providing of transportation or other inducement to any prospective student/athlete to take a

qualifying examination at a school, meet with school officials, etc.

2.Discussion of financial aid based on need with any prospective student/athlete by any member of

the coaching staff until the student has enrolled in school (attended 3 days of school). All financial

aid questions should be referred to the principal or the person in charge of financial aid. If the

person in charge of financial aid is a coach, prior approval must be granted by the Executive

Director of TSSAA.

3.Any initial contact or prearranged contact by a member of the coaching staff or representative of

the school and a prospective student/athlete enrolled in any member school except where there is

a definite feeder pattern.

4.Any initial contact or prearranged contact by a member of the coaching staff or representative of

the school and a prospective student/athlete in the seventh grade and above at any non-member

school except where there is a definite feeder pattern involving the schools.

Public high schools may contact public feeder schools (elementary, middle school, junior high

school) where there is a definite feeder pattern. Private or parochial schools may contact private

schools (elementary, middle school, junior high school) where there is a definite feeder pattern.

Private or parochial schools may not contact students enrolled at the public schools. Public schools

may not contact students enrolled at the private schools.

5.Any contact between a member of the coaching staff or representative of the school and

prospective student/athletes prior to, during, or after contests at elementary schools, middle

schools, and junior high schools except where there is a definite pattern.

6.A member school is prohibited from giving any item with school advertisement (shirts, pennants,

caps, jackets, etc.)

7.Admitting students to athletic contests free of charge where there is an admission being charged

at the contest except where there is a definite feeder pattern involved with the school.

Q. What is allowed by member schools in contacting prospective students?

A. A representative of the school may meet with students at a school that is defined as a feeder

school or meet with students who are zoned to attend that school the following year. This visit must

be cleared by the principals of both schools.

Guidelines For Understanding The "Recruiting Rule" and Understanding "What Is Undue

Influence?"

2002-03 TSSAA Handbook

1. The major theme of the "recruiting rule" is not "initial contact." The major theme is "exceeding

what is normal and appropriate." Initial contact can be a violation, but is only one of many things

that can exceed what is normal and appropriate.

2. One key is not treating "athletes" or "prospective athletes" any differently than students who are

not athletes.

3. Students should be seen as students and not singled out based on their potential athletic ability.

4. Pre-arranged contact is seen in the same manner as initial contact.

5. Any student or family or individual that contacts a coach about attending a school where he or

she coaches should be informed that they need to contact the principal, admissions department,

or guidance department if they have an interest.

6. Any meeting with coaches regarding athletes or prospective athletes or their families should be at

the request of the family to the individual(s) responsible for admissions and should take place at

the school.

7. High school athletics is not the same as colleges recruiting high school athletes for college

athletics. High school athletics exist for an entirely different reason. High school coaches should

not view 12-, 13-, 14-year-old students in the same manner as college coaches view high school

seniors.

8. Administrators and coaches must realize that they have more responsibilities than the general

public to understand the purpose of high school athletics, the principles behind the TSSAA rules,

etc., and to maintain a level of understanding and purpose when dealing with the general public

and students.

[Edited by ELA on 4-27-03 7:31P]