POOR SPORTSMANSHIP

Guest STUMPER

Guest STUMPER

The worst example of poor sportmanship that I have observed this season came from Sequatchie County. I observed their players subjected to verbal abuse and heard their coach use profanity on the field. Their fans didn't display any better sportsmanship and even encouraged the performance on the field. I do have to salute their players though for struggling through this season and keeping their spirits up through these actions performed by their role models. :)

I truley do not understand a coach who thinks yelling, cussing or saying negitive things to a child will help them play better. When a child is yelled at it only makes them nervous and most of the time makes the child plays worse. If a teacher taught there classes to read by yelling do you think any child would ever learn to read? Think about it. To all the kids who are playing sports under this kind of coach I truley feel you are a great person. Not for listening to the way in which the coach is coaching but for loving the game enough to stick it out. Only know that they are wrong and you are a better person than they are. Noone learns by yelling ugly things. If they could only see how crazy they are when they do this they would stop.And if they would treat the kids like kids they would see how much better the kids will play and enjoy the game. :o

[Edited by behappy229 on 4-24-03 7:48P]

[Edited by behappy229 on 4-24-03 8:16P]

If this is truly the way he runs his program he should be approached by the administation about changing the way he handle himself and given the chance to change before he is fired. People mess up, we are humans and this may have only been a one time thing, and if it was he should be given a chance to redeem himself. I agree that this type behavior should not be tolerated, but if it was a one time thing I do not think he should loose his job. Just one opinion.

Mt. Pleasant has the worst sportsmanship of any team I have ever seen. Its not mainly the players but the parents and coaches. Everytime Columbia Academy plays them their parents are always cussing the umpires and their coaches complain about every call that doesn't go their way and if one questionable call is made they think it cost them the game. When Ca and Mt. Pleasnt play at Ca the cops always have to be called to settle down the Mt. Pleasant fans. Last year a fan from Mt. Pleasant was arrested and ths year their score keeper was arrested. The behavior of the adults from Mt. Pleasant is terrible I feel sorry for thekids who have to put up with it all the time.

I bet the Mt. Pleasant crowd makes for some good entertainment! :lol: But it is ok for a coach to holler at a player from time to time. But if a player isnt playing up to his potential, the coach should take him out and put someone that will get the job done in! Baseball is a game, but it is a game where you have to do your part and pull your weight to be successful.

Hollering doesnt make all players play worse. Some players play better after being hollered at...others not. The coach just has to use his judgement.