Mercy rule

titans1221

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, well if a team is up 40 or more then they would just let the clock run..I'm againist the new rule because although its highly unlikely that a team will come back from 40 or more its just crazy that High school athletics would go to a running clock for any situation..I've always related the YMCA, youth league to running clocks when the score was 20 or more.

I think sometimes lessons are learned when you're getting beat in the ground..Alot of teams remember the beatings they take in Condition to train harder for thier up coming season.

AGAINST...Here's why: First of all, it is more than likely impossible to come back when down by 40. But when a team is up by this much, this is when 2nd and 3rd string get playing time. A coach needs all of his players to play in order to have leadership in the future. If this rule was put into action the game would change from a marathon race to a sprint. A coach has to use his subs effectively in order to win a game. This rule would turn the game into who could get up by 40, rather than who can play 4 quarters of basketball. I don't see this rule being adopted.

Well...I just got off the terlet so I'm in a pretty good mood and on top of that I lost 5 lbs last week, the mercy rule is stupid in my opinion! I mean this isn't baseball...give me something to watch. If the mercy rule goes into effect then i am gonna become the percelein king and just pinch loaves all day!!! :):):D

[Edited by dudenoway on 4-24-03 11:21P]

I disagree with all of you. At what point does a blow out become a humiliation for the kids. Bottom line is, are we not in this for the kids or our egos? I coached in Missouri and they had a 30 + point Mercy rule in the 4th quarter only, with no stop clock unless the score went below 30. There was a tendancy before that when teams were down by that much they fouled more, and the rule was to protect the key star players. A win is a win whether it is 1 point or 40+ points. What does a huge margin win do for the kids on the opposing team, yeah it is great that your kids padded their stats and subs got to play, but if you were a decent coach those subs would have gotten quality time elsewhere during the season. The rule is not as bad as you make it out to be, instead of fans leaving early during such a loss, they tend to stay knowing it will take only 8 minutes as opposed to 15-20 minutes.

Come on, are you in it for yourself or the love of the game and teaching good sportsmanship? Does it really mean that much to you to run the score up? Mercy rule saves your kids and your programs dignity.

As a coach, I might not like it, but as a fan and/or broadcaster, it's great. Arkansas has a 30-point running-clock rule in football, and the team I covered all year was horrible. I was home at 9:15 the one night it was invoked. That included the radio postgame show and everything.

The team that was winning rotated offensive linemen at tailback the last drive of the game...it was one of the funniest things I've seen on a football field.

True...but if you allow a team to just quit after getting down, what are you teaching the kids about persistence, adversity, and character. Humility is not all bad, it can be used to motivate and it is a very good thing to have sometimes. I would rather my players be fighting to the end even if they were down by fifty, than to allow them quit at 30 or 40 points. Also, if you tell the team if you get down by 40, we quit, then, they get the sense of just worring about the score, and not improving their basketball skills, and teamwork, and chemistry...

In theory the mercy rule has some good points, but I don't think it would be a wise thing to incorporate into Tennessee basketball.

Nothing could be more humiliating as a player than to have a "MERCY RULE" levied FOR you. Any athlete with the right mind set will want fight his own battle without Daddy federation coming to the rescue! Most coaches take care of this situation by using the bench. If they don't its poor sportsmanship, but please don't humimiate the players even more by implementing a rule that tells them they are sub-par physically and emotionally!