Rutherford County High Schools

Teeball

I coach middle school basketball and have been for the past 5 years. This year I have seen something that has shocked me. I help my 8th grade players register for thier highschool clsses and talk to each of their teachers to see what would be best. This year however as I spoke with my players it amszed me how many of them weren't sure where they WANTED to go to high school. Since when was this a choice because none of our highschools are private!! This was a real surprise that these students feel they can pick where they want to go. I'm sure their parents fell the same way. Just wondering if any of you have seen this begin to happen more and more? :confused:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now that there are four high schools to choose from, it's almost like picking a college for those kids. if you want to play baseball goto Oakland,Riverdale or Blackman football -Riverdale,Oakland, Blackman. basketball-Oakland,Blackman or Riverdale;etc. Kids will goto a school that either has interest in them or where there is more playing time. it is disturbing but these are the times and we have to roll along with them. every school in the boro has quality programs so most kids will have a chance in his/her sport. there is so much talent in Rutherford Co. that is why Blackman has been a force in every program in just a couple of years instead of struggling like other schools.

I agree with to some extent Ree, however I don't fell I should "roll with it" if it is not legal. Do you? I'm sure you meant well but these kids have to learn that rules do apply to them. I think that this is why we have such a high tunover in atheletics at every level. College players that don't like the coach or get caught cheating or stealing are allowed to move away from or avoid their trouble with no repercussions rather than face up to them, just because they are an athelete! High School is or should be a learning expeirence for these kids and where you are zoned thats where you go! No waivers no questions no expeptions!! ;)

• 7 months later...

Having a winning record one or two years doesent necessarily make you a winning program. LHS won baseball 2 years ago on a fluke in my opinion. If LHS had played Riverdale, Oakland, or Blackman they wouldn't have had a chance. But i guess sometimes you need luck to win championships. I'm not sure about the basketball because to my knowledge Lavergne has barely made it out of district. Schools from the boro are consistantly good at sports. ;)

Unless the coaches are contacting these kids that are not in there zone, then no rules are being violated. The TSSAA does not recognize zoning within the county before they have an athletic record. As long as the principals agree to these zoning waivers everything is within legal guidelines. Once an athlete has established an athletic record, then a change of address must occur. In my opinion, all these schools are developing very good programs at the high school level in almost all sports. If a kid wants to go somewhere other than the school in which they are zoned for, then so be it. But only once!

Good Luck

coach 2001 you are correct in your post about tssaa not recognizing zones-

but remember you can change HIGH schools only if you have a legitimate change

of residence. you can attend any school once you leave middle school. and,by

the way, lavergne has never advanced out of the district and smyrna has won

its district championship twice in the last 5 yrs. and finished second one of those

years, which is more than the 'boro schools(except MAYBE oakland-i know they

have won more than riverdale and blackman combined)-so kids have a few more

choices than was posted.

How you going to say LaVergne winning the state in baseball was a fluke. They went to the state tournament three years in a row. Came in third the first year, which they beat riverdale, and they won it the following year, by beating a good team in farragut. LaVergne was destined to win since Matt Scott had that game winning hit vs brentwood to go to state. Well you said oakland, blackman, and riverdale would have beat lavergne, but guess they werent good enough that year to get to the state tournament. good luck coach williams with this years wolverines baseball team.