Any Recruits to UT Martin

thebeeve

humm...but why then would this person be downing UTM? Good to know that it is an imposter. I wonder what my imposter's s/n would be? Perhaps the following:

wellpete23

lilpete23

illpatty23

illpete32

illPT23

or perhaps...

guywhomeanswellbutwhosejokesareverybad

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest southpaw

You are so right about missing the game.. If I could turn it around and go back I would do it in a heartbeat. I played for Coach Cates during his first year at utm. He is a great man. He had the players over to his home at least every couple weeks to cook out and get to know each other and try to build a team aspect that wasn't there before. Granted we were not the greatest but I can't tell you how much it ment to me not to have the first penny to pay back in school loans. I don't care where it is if they pay for it, go. UTM gave me the funnest, most memorable last two years of college along with a good degree. Bubba Cates is a great coach and man of good morals. Lots of luck in the future. Ole 31

Never said coach Cates wasn't a good man.He is a very good man.UTM is consistently mediocre in every sport.Like it or not it's true.Also,I can say anything on this board as long as it's not obscene or illegal.My opinion is mine and mine alone.If you don't like it,SO WHAT!!I see alot of experts voicing their opinions on here every day.Thats great!!!You have that priviledge--- and so do I!!!

You are right "thebeeve." You do have the right to post anything you like on this or any other thread as long as it's not immoral or illegal, but you have to be careful what you post nonetheless. There are lots of high school athletes that read these posts that you and I and all of the other people on coacht post, and we should keep in mind that they are young, and they are impressionable. We should encourage all athletes to pursue all possible alternatives when it comes to them earning a college scholarship. If a player is good enough to play at a college program that rivals that of UT Martin or any other school, then they know not to pursue that avenue, but they should call that coach and let them know that they are not interested. If a player has no desire to play for a certain university, they should still have enough respect for that coach to let them know they aren't interested. Simply ignoring them isn't appropriate, and going on coacht and posting negative comments about the program is classless. I understand that you have respect for Coach Cates and for the program, but you have an odd way of showing it. Jokes are jokes, but I think you can see how an innocent joke can offend many people.

I'd like to add that I wish the best to all of the athletic teams at UTM, especially the golf program, and I would also like to pose a question:

What ever happened to Pacer Pete? :x

Pacer Pete was the mascot of UT Martin when they were the Pacers. They didn't adopt the Skyhawks until about 1994 or so. I was in my third year, I think. I guess it was sort of an inside joke to all of us "older" folks. You young guys probably haven't ever heard of Pacer Pete. He had a sidekick, too. Her name was Pacer Penelope. :):x

[Edited by underpar68 on 5-1-03 10:45A]

those of you that are reading this, i hope you ignore the idiots that seem to put martin down. I'm proud to have played there and wish i would have had more time left in my career to hang around and be more of a part of the rebuilding that is going on. Coach Cates is a class act and is building not just a team but a program despite the fact that he is doing it alone on a middle school budget. The facilities weren't upgraded for years before he got there and the administration has probably forgotten they have a baseball team, much less where on campus the field is anyways. It's a shame to have that school there which is unlike any other place in the world yet, the things that could be used to put it on the map are overlooked. Athletics there have been a joke for the past 10 years or so. The reason to that has to be lack of administration with a view of what could be. You don't just quit getting talent and quit being competitive without a drop of of support. Especially when the coach is such an unbelievable baseball guy with connections all over the United States. The best thing that could happen to that program is to clean house over there administratively in the field house and bring in people that will sell their soul to turn things around. Most of the athletic administration there are more worried about whether or not the Hearth is serving fried chicken on the buffett at lunch. Somebody needs to wake up and see what is going on. Make the commitment to make your teams better by supporting them. Get the lights on the field so games can be played at night. Have the fraternity/sorority nights, broadcast the games, get the community involved, and back the darn coach up. Let him do what you hired him to do. UT MArtin can compete in the OVC if their administration will quit shooting them in the foot. Good Luck with the fight Coach and Keep the guys swinging. I'm proud to have been a Skyhawk, but i'm embarassed and ashamed of the way things get done or should i say don't get done around there.

Amen to that, and good luck to the Skyhawks. I just wanted to go there and steal some bases is all, but the Lord kept me a little closer to home. I was going to post an e-mail that Coach Cates sent me last year, but sadly Hotmail deleted it. But it was a good one...