What would you do?

CheeseCake

Wouldn't you be ticked if a football coach wanted baseball players to practice football instead of baseball,especially since upcoming district games starts this week.Would they like it if basketball coaches stepped in and said,i want all my basketball players to practice basketball this week while they are preparing for upcoming playoff games?

Coaches should leave kids alone while they are playing other sports until that sport is over with.The whole stituation stinks!What do you think?Would you like it? :D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to that.

Ask them this question: It is the week of the first round of the playoffs in football and the baseball team has a fall Thursday night game. Do you want them to play in the baseball game? The answer would be a H **L NO!!!!

I think the principals and TSSAA should get something ironed out on this issue. :D

Seems to be the case at a lot of schools...Football seems to rule the roost most places since they are the "money" sport, but they shouldn't get any more favors than anyone else. Our board says that baseball is a "minor" sport. I beg to differ, we don't treat it as a minor sport and players from baseball get more scholarships that all the other sports combined around here.

i agree with bb4. In quite a few schools in TN, football comes first and everything else follows. Being a former baseball player, it stung to hear a football coach at my HS call the baseball team "a bunch of non-athletes." This same coach ran the girls basketball team out of the gym to practice in November because of rain with no further warning. The girls were to open their season the next week, but football got the gym and the women had to wait for their own court. I think its the nature of the beast in this state, but I wish school administrations would try to balance the sports evenly.

Who said the football coach is the one everyone listens to. The baseball coach needs to go talk to him and work it out. I wouldn't let them go to football during the season. Stand up!! Here at my school we have had more baseball players sign scholarships than football, so I don't consider it a "minor sport". Money don't mean a darn thing. What about a student who only plays baseball? That sport means as much to him as football does to a football player. Our administration scheduled the Senior Trip during the opening day of district tournaments. Do you think they would schedule it during the first round of the football playoffs? NO WAY!! But you have to work it out. Sit down with your co-workers and figure it out.

I'm the father of a freshman baseball player and he is fortunate to be on the varsity at his HS. I also am a huge fan of the game.

Recently, I had the pleasure of talking to one of the seniors on the baseball team while watching a JV game. This young man has saying that he wished he'd focused more on baseball. We were talking about how fast the season has passed by that he's starting to realize some things now.

Just a little more background... This guys was a HS football star and played on a team that finished 4th in the state this passed season. He was the started middle linebacker on the team. He played football many years with the impression that one day he'd get that coveted letter of intent. This kid was an excellent HS football player and after the baseball season's over he's starting to realize team/school sport is pretty much over for him. He said, he's not received any letters for a football scholarship and doubts he will. He realizes now too that a guy that's 5' 10" 195 lbs. can play linebacker in HS and do well, but its very unlikely he'll play college football at that size. Reality is tough.

Let me be clear, no one twisted this persons arm to play football. I'm sure he was encouraged. I tried to encourage him that he's got at least one week left in his HS basball career. Another week of high school baseball ahead of him and I hope that he gets a look from someone looking for a good HS linebacker to play on there college team.

The good side of the story is that he is a very good student and he will do well in school without college sports.

PS: I have never seen the high football coach at a single baseball game this year.