Real Newspapers Cover Soccer

futfan

Methinks somebody at the Tennessean must read CoachT.com boards.

:P

Sunday's (May 4) edition carried a decent story(pg 9C) featuring Hendersonville (with a picture of Coach Plummer) and also Brentwood - noting the two teams' national rankings. Also had a box asking coaches to send in district tournament schedules.

Let's hope this is the start of some better *continued* attention to this sport.

After all, baseball/softball fields aren't the only fields seeing spring play! :lol:

If Tennessean staff is reading this - thanks for the coverage - please keep it up!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i havent looked at this thread much but irealize there is one closed minded person in here who said that newpapers should stick to American sports, at many schools soccer is becoming the main sport, maybe you want to look around and you will realize that the United StaTes is one of the few xountries that soccer is not the dominant sport. Maybe you should be more American and open your eyes to what the kids want.

Don't even give The Tennessean credit for doing ONE story about soccer... that story was most likely prompted by a phone call from someone saying what had been posted here on CoachT... The Tennessean's coverage of prep sports stinks, plain and simple... An occasional feature, beefed up coverage during state-level events and a scattering of gamers does not good coverage make... The staff over there has gotten away from its local ties and is solely concerned with being a "nationally" known newspaper... thus you get the constant coverage of the Titans, the NFL, the NBA, NHL and MLB... very little on Vanderbilt outside of football and basketball, practically nothing on the local colleges (Belmont, Trevecca, Lipscomb, MTSU) and perhaps an occasional story on the Nashville Sounds... The Tennessean is no longer a "local" sports section, and it continues to get worse every day... if you want "local" coverage, then pick up The Hendersonville Star, The Gallatin News-Examiner, The Daily News Journal, The Review Appeal or (to some extent) The City Paper... THOSE publications are where you get your local sports... where all these parents who have kids in the school systems go to read about their youngsters... it makes me sick that such a "local" newspaper like The Tennessean has gone in the tank so quickly after its biggest competition, The Nashville Banner, went out of business...

I am sad to read when people talk of soccer as non American and such. Soccer is a sport plain and simple.. those of us who play simply ask for fair coverage which is nonexistent at many major newspapers. The good news is the soccer world has CoachT and The Chattanoogan.com and FoxSportsWorld and a growing list of alternate ways to obtain fair coverage of our love and passion. Peace out dudes

overall the tennessean has really done a poorer job this year covering all high school sports than previous years i thought. they need to realize that we are not just looking for a big headline every couple of weeks about our sport but also VISIBLE box scores and at least brief write up about what is going on in other parts of the country...ever since the titans and the predators came to town(and i am a big fan of both and i dont want to see a let down in important coverage) high school sports coverage has suffered. Day in and day out i want to read about schools and kids i know and how they are doing not keep up with a personal diary of some titans player's eating habits. just a note...i am not a tennessean subscriber...however i used to not be able to go through the day without buying one and reading it...now i could care less. i buy on average one paper a week instead of six. that is only 26 dollars a year that they are making off of me (I am not counting the Sunday paper) compared to $156

Edited by whatusername