District 9AA Tourney

jacketpride24

Fairview 6, Loretto 5. This 9 inn. battle was worth the ride out there as both teams gave it their all. Loretto scored first in the top of the 1st when SS Luke Lamm homered to CF against starting pitcher Ben Wilshire. Fairview answered in the bottom of the 1st scoring 3 runs on hits by CF Luke Putnam & Catcher Chris Buttrey (Double - 2 RBI's) and 2 fielding errors in the Loretto outfield. The 3 runs were scored by Luke Putnam, Wilshire, and RF Beau Lejeune. Loretto added another run in the top of the 4th when 1b Ben Daughertty singled, L. Lamm singled, and DH Wes Beckman drove in Daughertty with a single. Fairview ended Loretto's rally with a 5-4-3 double play (Chris Butler to Jim Lampley to Dan Kennedy). Loretto starting pitcher Travis Johnson held Fairview in check until the the bottom of the 5th when Lampley singled, L Putnam beat out a bunt, and Lampley scored on an errorant throw to 1b. L. Putnam scored when his brother Matt was in a run down between 1st & 2nd. Both were safe as score now stands Fairview 5, Loretto 2. Loretto tied the score in the top of the 6th when Daughertty reached on an error, L. Lamm doubled, Beckman walked, and 3b Kyle Ridgeway singled driving in Daughertty & L. Lamm. Beckman scored on a sac. fly by Travis Johnson. Fairview had a chance to win it in the bottom of the 8th when Wilshire doubled and stole 3b, but Loretto brought in 1b Daughertty to pitch to one batter, then Johnson returned to the mound to hold Fairview scoreless. RF Beau LeJeune relieved starter Wilshire in the 7th and LeJeune pitched effectively to pick up the win. Fairview scored the winning run in the bottom of the 9th when Butler was hit by a pitch, Lampley sac. bunted, L. Putnam was intentionally walked, and M. Putnam walked. At this point, Luke Lamm came into pitch for Loretto and although he struck out one batter, he walked LeJeune which forced Butler over the plate with the winning run. Loretto tried hard and should be commended for their effort in having to travel for all their games in the tournament. After the game, it was decided by coaches from Fairview and Marshall Co to end the tournament at this point and declare Marshall Co. district champion and Fairview runner-up so both teams could rest for next week's regional action against the district 10AA teams. I believe Fairview will travel to Montgomery Central and Marshall Co. will host Cheatham Co., but I have not checked that completely. Thanks to players from Fairview & Loretto for a great game.

Edited by PageMan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairview, great game is all i can say i guess i mean what is there to say yall beat us. The only highlight for us(Loretto) is that yall finally made some errors i didnt think yall ever would. But thats the end of it for us, we have nothing to be ashamed of we put our hearts into every out of that ballgame. Best of luck from here on out!!!

thanks bigtimer, you guys had a great run in the tourney whoever thought they you guys would beat giles co. and page. but you guys have nothing to be ashamed of. yeah we made some costly errors today, but we will correct it before the regions. the reason fairview didnt want to travel to marshall co was for the fact we had no pitching left, we rather rest for the regions and without pitching it would of been hard to beat marshall twice for the title. I believe a region championship is better than a district one. thanks pageman for the awesome commentary on the game.

Thanks jacketpride24 - good luck in the regionals.

bigtimer7, you are truly the ironman of District 9AA. Coming in to pitch in the bottom of the 9th took a lot of guts after your team had been on the road all tournament. You did what was asked of you and gave it your all. Great hitting and fielding. I know you will go far in baseball. You have the drive to make things happen and wherever you go next year, they will have a great player. I enjoyed watching you play this year, especially at Giles Co. with that double to RF that restarted the game and then your excellent pitching to bring home the victory. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

William L. Tunstall aka PageMan

Pageman.....thanks is all that i can say. I mean i never thought that my highschool career was going to come to a end, but today it was a reality. im mean you dont understand how much it means to you until its over. i had been playing ball with all of them other 10 seniors for the past 7 years. We wanted to give it one last ride, and we did everything that we were asked to do, except for what we all wanted most and that was a district championship..... but like it goes you dont always get what you want. Anyways best of luck Marshall and Fairview, and pageman that meant alot and thanks again. L L # 7

Hey Bigtimer7, my group needs to hold their heads up high. Yall made pops22 very proud and would like to thank everyone of the group for all the years of getting to watch you grow into a fine group of young men. Above all else it was a heck of a last ride. Thank You