Centennial 3 Hendersonville 2

titansfan05

game analysis: centennial scores 3 early goals on 3 key mistakes in the back and they do basically nothing after that. 3-1 at half. hendersonville played well the last 60 min and should have won, or at least tied up the game. they were so many headers and shots that were just wide, and the pk miss. it was all very unlucky. centennial probably had maybe a couple shots in the second half, but nothing too serious. hendersonville possessed the ball and kept pounding away. it was just one of those games. im not knocking centennial, theyre a pretty good team and played hard but i feel hendersonville was superior. i spoke with a couple of centennial's players after the game and they said they were extremely lucky to make it out of the game winning 3-2.

i feel we werent prepared for this game, too busy looking ahead. ive never played with a group of people that cared so much, especially the seniors. to go out like this is unbearable. my season was up and down, mostly down though. i hope to play better next year, we'll still be a pretty good team. im looking forward to it. good luck to centennial against bearden, you guys played well tonight.

There was no luck involved. Centennial came out playing...they were denied a PK that should have been called when Ryan Mattison was about to score and was shoved to the ground in the box at the PK line with no foul. Also, Centennial had Patrick McFarland stay on his feet to beat his guy to pass the ball to Andrew Muller that would have netted a goal right at the PK line and the ref (unbelievable) called the foul with CHS having the advantage to goal and should have let the play go...that would be 5 goals. The PK that was missed for Hendersonville was given because the guy went up for a header and just plain couldn't keep his balance and landed on his side which was blamed on a CHS player who never touched them. Yes, you may have had 3 mistakes in the backfield, but that's what the game is about..mistakes made into opportunities. Centennial was the superior team for this game. Maybe superior comes at different times with a different frame of mind...who wanted it more...the Cougars played like they had nothing to loose but to advance and they are!!!! Hendersonville played tough, but tonight belonged to Centennial.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, Brentwood and Hendersonville are done for the year.

As for Centennial's defense, I've seen them do this time and time again. In the beginning of the first half, Centennial's midfield played great, moving the ball around, and really pressuring the ball on defense. After it was 3-0, the midfield moved back, and this is where the problem occurs. When Centennial's midfield does not pressure at the half-line, good teams capitalize by pushing up as many players as possible. Centennial counters this by pulling back all but one player. When this happens, it is easier for other teams to score. Both goals happened because of this, and almost every goal against Brentwood was because of this. If Centennial wants to beat Bearden, they HAVE to have midfield pressure the ball right away. If they sit back, Bearden will have a field day and will score at least 3 goals.

The problem with Hendersonville tonight was that they fell asleep at the beginning of the game and Centennial took it to them. It was a well played game by both teams, and I wish Centennial the best of luck at state.

I guess you didn't see the one of the midfielders pressing up to the top even near the end with a break away...how can you say that...they midfield played great and offered several defensive saves as well...I think ALL the guys played great and gave it there all!!!

Look at the goals scored, not only in last nights game, but throughout the season. No goals have come outside the 18. All of them come from midefield's laziness and defense's lack of clearing the ball. When the midfield pressured the ball, there were results, but later on in the game Ryan Mattison moved back to play more defense, and Centennial had only one attacker, Hayden Lamb most of the time, to go for breakaways. Breakaways will not win the game; on the contrary, passing the ball around and pressuring the other team wins games. Mark my words: If Centennial does not have their midfielders pressuring the ball at midfield, Bearden will score at least 3 goals. This will come from constant attacking from Bearden's midfielders and forwards. I went to all three Brentwood games, and almost every goal came from Brentwood pounding the ball down Centennial's throat. The only way Centennial can win is if Centennial plays offensively, and consistently pressure the ball throughout the game. Otherwise, they have no chance against Bearden on Wednesday. Oh, just so you know, Mattison always falls down by the box. It's called a dive.

Someone asked you earlier if you were a player...are you? Are you Centennial Player? Also, my son is one of those lazy midfielders in which you speak and there isn't one ounce of laziness in his bones...he cleared many a ball out last night and almost scored on a breakaway in the final few minutes... he also assisted the third goal, so how's that for pressure. He also, was a solid attacker during the Brentwood game, stealing the ball on more than one occasion...I don't know who you are, but guess you're just a spectator and free to your opinion, but we're in state, so guess they're doing something right, now aren't they?

Also, Mattison was flung down in the box...I guess when the defender's hands push the back of the offensive player, that would be a dive...maybe in your rules of soccer...

Our midfielders are awesome and considering that during the Franklin and Hendersonville games, it was the midfielders that scored two goals each, then you go ahead and say they have no offense!!!

Those same midfielders also compiled several assists in those same games. The trouble with the Brentwood game is that the BHS players were allowed to play dirty and if you're bigger and not called on the fouls, then yes, you have the advantage...

CHS is going to state, so I think these guys are all awesome!!!

Later...

Centennial jumped off to a 3-0 start and never looked back. Just because Centennial doesn't have the same ranking as a Hendersonville or Brentwood doesn't mean they don't have a talented team. CHS has evolved throughout the season into the dangerous team they are now. I think they relish the no-respect underdog role and have played with more determination and heart than the teams they have been beating. Congratulations to CHS on a wonderful season and good luck in the state tourney against Bearden!

heck of a game last night against Hendersonville. Most exciting game I've seen this spring.

Edited by rebelj

Donna, stop being defensive about your son, he is a good player. But I tell you in brute honesty, laziness has crippled Centennial at times this season. This was not the case in Hendersonville MOST of the time, but there were exceptions. You're blinded by being a mom for a team; stop being a mom for a second. and be a fan. Any fan of the team can see that when midfield does not pressure, bad things happen.

And yes, I was a player on Centennial, and I know how the team works. Yes, you are in state, but don't expect to get far if midfield does not push up and pressure. I did not say they didn;t play offense, but there are times they are too tentative to the ball.

Also, don't make excuses about the refs. The refs were pretty good at the last Brentwood game, and you still managed to get shut out.

In conclusion, I am very proud of Centennial. They have done a first for the school, and they have made me proud. I wish for the best during state. I'm out.

Well, I'm a mom and a fan...you wouldn't say that about a dad now would you. I do know the game and understand hustle when I see it. You were a player...why don't you play anymore???

Don't criticize those that do...

I do know we have some that will not go to the ball (in other games), but I will say that they did last night. I may be a little bias, but my son always goes for the ball and is not TENTATIVE...unless, our definitions are different. In fact, most tell me he's a little too aggressive at times.

Who said you could use my first name, it's Mrs. Muller to you! ha!!!

You have some good points, but be careful not to generalize about the whole midfield.

As far as the refs, they were better, but still give BHS way too much room. Their players are dirty, talk smack, and get away with a lot of things that the refs either don't see or turn their backs to. If you were a player, you'd know that and recognize it during the games!!!

Last night it sounds like they were being watched a little more carefully and wow, it's amazing, when they have to use only their skill...guess, it was difficult.

Smyrna (I have been told) is a team to reckon with. It's no fluke when you consistently beat the opponent and that's what they've done in not just one, but two matches in which they were "supposedly" outranked??...and now that the cougars are confident and know what it takes, I wouldn't count us out as well. I'm glad you're proud, you should be...also, I'm assuming you're criticizing because in some way you're trying to be helpful????

Who are you??? You can send me an email if you don't want to reveal your identity in this forum...donna-muller@comcast.net. I should at least have the honor of knowing your name since you know mine and used it...Thanks!

just to state, muller isn't lazy at all, i play soccer with him on a select team. he's a cross country runner with plenty of desire, and will to work, i am 17 years old, and i kno that when a grown man comes onto a website and downsizes a players ability, and work ethic, there is is something sick, and wrong with the person in question. I would like to formally denounce these accusations as a witness to performance, and not a mother of the player in accusation. I am behind muller 100%, and as for lazyness, that has nothing to do with outcome, Heart wins games. Our select team beat Hendersonville as well, and we're u-17 to their U-18. We had one sub, and it was a goalkeepr playing the field. So i say how dare u come on here and try to deminish someones dreams, after so much effort and work has bloomed into a realization of what can be accomplished with the ammount of effort put into such things. All u need is heart, there is nothing else... with Love and respect for the Centenial team, for doing something all athletes dream to do... beat that team, beat that one team that stand in ur way of greatness, I don't kno/care what is gonna happen next game, but i do kno that these players dreams have already come tru, for they accomplished what was an aunimaginable dream. with love, Alex Mullins, resident Goalkeeper at Franklin Road Academy.

PS Show em how we do it Packy!!!!