bottom line

bigchief

I quick look at the Class A brackets for the state tournament (sorry guys, this is the only class that public and private schools compete against each other in. Lipscomb is the only private in AA) ,

In softball---5 of 8 teams are private

In baseball---6 of 8 teams are private

In girls tennis--4 of 8 singles and 4 of 8 doubles

In boys tennis--4 of 8 singles and 4 of 8 doubles

In boys soccer---4 of 8 teams

If 50 % of single A teams were private then this would not seem overly unbalanced, however we all know that this is not the case. The private baseball and softball teams I have seen this year look more like summer all-star teams. The split is coming.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bigchief,

You are missing the point. Those stats simply point out that us little rural schools need to practice more and coach harder. Oh and by the way. It is not a private/public thing, it's an urban/rural debate now. Whoops, I just realized that there are no 1A public shools in urban areas! I guess we will have to think of something else. :D

If 50 % of single A teams were private then this would not seem overly unbalanced, however we all know that this is not the case.

Or could it be that maybe a few privates are actually good and it's ok for the percentages to fluctuate off the base line occasionally? 30% of 1A is private. Some years, there are no privates in post season. And other years, it seems like a private free-for-all. Just be patient, because things will always change.

:D

Sorry Coachtfan, a private school has won the Class A softball championship every year since 1982. Westmoreland was the last to win in 1981. Baseball has been won by a private school 7 of the last nine years. How long do you suppose it will take to come back around? Keep trying. :D

Sorry Coachtfan, a private school has won the Class A softball championship every year since 1982. Westmoreland was the last to win in 1981. Baseball has been won by a private school 7 of the last nine years. How long do you suppose it will take to come back around? Keep trying. :D

exactly, thats why its called the private school fling. By invitation only. And I'll wager you this. I don't know a thing about the teams in softball or baseball this year, but i'll bet you a soda that softball, baseball, and soccer are won by private schools in 1A. any takers?

In A-AA soccer, private schools have most certainly had a commanding influence on the sport. Since the '97 split, if you examine the Final 4 from each tournament, you find the following statistics.

Boys A-AA soccer Final 4 1997-2002:

1/24 spots (4%) White House (regularly zoned school)

3/24 spots (12.5%) Lenoir City (regularly zoned school)

5/24 spots (21%) Ridgeway (too big to be a A-AA school anyway)

15/24 spots (62.5%) Private Schools

Girls A-AA soccer Final 4 1997-2002:

3/24 spots (12.5%) Page & Anderson Co. (regularly zoned schools)

3/24 spots (12.5%) Hume-Fogg (Magnet schools pull from all over)

6/24 spots (25%) Ridgeway (too big to be a A-AA school anyway)

12/24 spots (50%) Private Schools

Although no school in allowed to technically "recruit" players, everybody knows that families will intentionally send their children to certain private or magnet schools because of their proven excellence in a given sport. Public schools with strong athletic programs also entice athletes to attend their school, but with much less frequency. You don't have to move to a new home to live within the zone of a private school. And you don't have to forfeit a year of eligibility when you switch schools as you would when moving from one public school to another.

There are high schools in Tennessee that are literally across the street from a feeder middle school where 60% of those kids end up at other schools, including big shot athletes who end up with professional sports careers or qualify for Olympic squads. There was a middle school girls soccer team in Nashville that won over 60 consecutive games and yielded 2 of the top scorers in Tennessee high school history, yet only a handful of girls from that dynasty ended up at their zoned high school Overton. Most decided to go private or magnet. Public schools do not have the same advantage.

I have had playing and coaching experiences on both sides, and it is exciting to be at a school where kids choose to come because they can play for a certain sports team while getting a great education. Because of my experiences, I have respect rather than resentment or disdain for private and magnet schools. However, I do understand the public school perspective very well. To reclassify Division II A-AA and AAA as Private/Magnet and Division I A-AA and AAA as Public, you would give the same revitalization to certain sports that the original split did. And now you have 4 champions instead of 3, the proverbial "spreading the wealth".

And sure, if you really want to, the Division I and II AAA winners could play each other in a friendly match, as well as in A-AA.

hey turbo. small rural schools have not been winning state championships for generations. before small privates, who did they blame their lack of success on? oh i know, it's a conspiracy.

Post me stats and a web page proving this, otherwise I say your wrong. Your statement makes absolutely no sense.

Just to update spring fling, the final three teams in single A baseball---all private schools, the final three teams in single A softball---all privates. Both girls and boys state tennis champions--all privates, boys soccer final four---three of four privates. Level playing field. YYYYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH RRRRIIIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTTT. :ph34r: